Are you excited for persimmon season?

Are you excited for persimmon season?

I have never eaten a persimmon. What am I missing? If I go and buy one how is the best way to eat them?

buy one, you have my permission to eat a persimmon

Persimmons are probably the least exciting edible fruit in existence.

You're not missing anything.

This. Asian folks go nuts for it though. It looks like a little orange tomato with a unique, yet not very interesting sweet flavor.

It's like an almost flavorless apple

Don't they tend to dry them out, more so than eat fresh? That'd probably make them sweeter too.

I've mostly eaten fresh. Not a big fan, but I'm not a big fan of rice either so take that for what it is.

An almost non-existent sweetness followed by a cotton mouth

they smell like semen....so no

Properly ripened persimmons are god tier fruit. However, if you eat them too early they are super disappointing.

Not really.
The only time I've tried them they weren't ripe yet and ended up tasting like a mouthful of sand.

I am
My neighbor has a tree and will give us the excess fruit every year.
Once they start falling apart from more than a gentle grab is the best, top tier fruit.

that wasnt ripe user

n

No other fruit knows how to tell you "not yet, faggot" like the persimmon. You either eat it ripe and enjoy the aroma and sweetness or you'll end up with a mouthful of tasteless hard pulp and enough tannins to pucker up harder than a straight guy's asshole at a gaybar.

Alright Chef John

Dried Persimmons

My mom makes god-tier cookies with them, I'm hyped

>every year seems to go by faster and faster the older you get

Sometimes it's a good thing.

How do I keep Squrriels from fucking up my crops
Every year before I would put up giant nets and stakes but my two trees are twenty feet tall and I don't have time anymore

Is poisoning the whole tree good

Place a cylinder of sheet metal around the trunk (not tight or it can strangle the tree). They won't be able to get their claws into the trunk to get a grip then. However, if you have low hanging branches they could still jump up so those have to be removed.

>Cookies.
Fuck yeah.

I did dried cherries and figs with mine last year.
And some roasted almonds.
Shit was awesome.
I might replace the cherries with cranberries.

Shoot them.
Eat the corpses and leave the skeletal remains around the trees like tiny squirrel totems to warn others not to fuck with your shit.

>Tree is now 4 years old.
>Last season I pulled probably about 50 lbs of fruit off the thing.
>It has no natural enemies, the apple and cherry died from bugs.
>I was told this motherfucker would never live past the first winter.
My body is ready.

PROTIP: if it's a bit unripe you can freeze and thaw it to remove tannins. It'll get a bit soft, though.

Or just leave it in a cool dry place.
Treat them like squash.

No because they're bland as fuck and clog up your intestines creating bezoars.

I've done this with rabbits. The smell of death keeps them at bay for a little while but isn't a permanent solution. Just need to stay vigilant in shooting them. Their numbers will fade in time.

Nothing puts me in the Christmas spirit like ripe persimmons.

I've almost never seen or heard of peoppe eating them raw, but persimmon pudding is a favorite of my granddad. Getting them when they're ripe is crucial, apparently, because they taste awful unless ripe.

I like your post

I am now. Fucking love these things.

Can you quickly ripen them in a pressure cooker or oven if you "cook" them at a low heat?

>ended up tasting like a mouthful of sand
have you eaten a lot of sand?

I usually eat them unmodified and with my hands. I wait until they get very ripe so I taste the sweetness better. I would buy one and try it. I like the soft taste and it makes for a good snack.

Get one of the tall ones and wait until it's ***very soft*** to eat it. The short ones are always crunchy and I don't like them.

I'm afraid this year is going to be diappointing. This tree in the front of the house has only a few, whereas last year it was full. The one in back doesn't have any. I blame it on drumpf.

I always wanted to try a persimmon, unfortunately being in the North East it's hard to find any around here since they seem to peak season right around the time summer is dying out. I also hear persimmon pudding is a pretty good, if forgotten, US dessert that is more like a moist fruit cake than any actual pudding.

The Fuyu persimmon (left) is sweet even when firm. Tastes of sugar. Edible seeds. Who could dislike this fruit?

>Who could dislike this fruit?
Communists.

I have no idea why persimmons are even grown nobody likes them.

I fucking love persimmons and look forward to them every year

You must be Asian. They eat anything.

>tfw i will never buy persimmons from old ladies on the streets of russia for just a few rubles again

Persimmons are poverty tier fruit. Go to any poverty stricken cold shithole and you'll drown in persimmons.

I believe they disappeared in North America when the depression ended and people didn't have to suffer that shit anymore.

Persimmon pudding is delicious. Its like a dense moist cake with a light fruit flavor. My grandmother makes it for Thanksgiving usually.

Just wait until the hipsters discover them and persimmons become the next avocado.

It would be funny if persimmons became hip and people had to pretend to like them to seem sophisticated.

On the topic of bad fruit, I give you Japanese pears:

Ah yes, the fruit so delicate it needs to come in bubble wrap, but is hard as a fucking rock.

Hah. Nah, just a brunette white girl

Can I just say that a lot of you people sound like fruit virgins. Many fruits needs to sit around and mellow for a while. Persimmons are among them. People try to eat them too early. When you eat them they should be soft to the touch.

>Americans.
>Waiting to eat something.

Ok so this is why I'm addicted to them

And mostly flavourless

Vietnamese here, can confirm. Love them.

Not sure about what a persimmon is but those tomatoes look great, OP.

prove it

They taste like heaven.