There is absolutely no reason you shouldn't own a Kramer by Zwilling J.A...

There is absolutely no reason you shouldn't own a Kramer by Zwilling J.A. Henckels Euroline Carbon Collection 8'' Chef's Knife.

Other urls found in this thread:

guede-messer.com/guede-messer/karl-guede/guede-messer-serie-karl-guede-messer-kochmesser-26cm/a-31763/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

meh, my ten dollar santouku made of a3 steel I picked up at some random store works fine

Because my wife does the cooking, and she would fuck it up on her glass cutting board.

>glass cutting board

You know what you need to do.

[spoiler]put a bullet in her head[/spoiler]

>There is absolutely no reason
I have a collection of more than 70 mostly Euro style chef's knives and I wouldn't put that butt ugly thing on display if you paid me for it.

>autist who hoards chef knives to the point he'd never get around using them all
>doesn't get Bob Kramer's design

makes total sense

There is nothing to "get", it's just ugly and ungainly looking.

Can I see a photo of them?

Here are the best pieces of my collection. There are some pretty nice Japanese knives in the boxes on the left - F. Dick 1798, Hattori, Hiromoto, Fujuwara, Miyabi, Yaxell, Tojiro ... I had some of them hand thinned and polished by a master bladesmith (Jürgen Schanz).

>confirmed for faggot

What's the fucking point ? I mean I understand having a knife collection with knives that are aesthetic, with rare wood handles or shit like that but all of those look like basic knives (except for that white handled one). They might be very good knives but they look like shit

For some reason I want that thin brown handled one a lot, can you tell me what it is? Then again I don't know shit about knives because I've been ok with my faberware from Wal-Mart for the past year.

OP you might as well just post that you like dicks in your ass

>Calls Kramer designs ugly
>Only owns ugly, basic looking knives

It's a beautiful knife, but I don't need it. Better said, it would be wasted on me.

What's the fifth from the left and how much does it cost? I think that would fit my hand and style really well.

I see you got my knife too (the one laying under the "dick"). Can you tell me how the weight is compared to most other knives? Is it lighter, heavier, or about the same?

Prefer Wüsthof

>Fiskars

wtf

I owned one

I prefer Wusthof the ikons and the 200th anniversary carbon knives are tits. Wusthof Ikon knives are the perfect design.

If I could get ikons in the same carbon steel as the anniversary knives I'd be totally content but the stainless is really the perfect blend between durability and sharpness. 58-59 HRC is the sweet spot

Also own a bunch of expensive Japanese knives and prefer the Wusthofs to those as well

It's a retro model from Güde:
guede-messer.com/guede-messer/karl-guede/guede-messer-serie-karl-guede-messer-kochmesser-26cm/a-31763/

this

It's an old Wüsthof that I bought used from an ex-cook. I think something identical or at least similar is still available in the form of the "extra breit" (extra tall) versions of the Classic chef's knives.

It's a bit heavier than other knives of similar blade length, and very slightly tail heavy. Mostly because of the very nice full tang micarta grip, pretty rare for kitchen knives. But otherwise it's a very nice and well made knife.

>2017
>full bolster

no

It's a very well-made knife, easily eye-to-eye with the best of the big Solingen brands. I don't think it is available anymore. Maybe Fiskars even had it produced in Solinge according to their specifications, one never knows nowadays. Even Victorinox has its very top-end forged line of knives manufactured in Solingen.

Is this better?

Its a vintage design and the bolster doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would.

I may grind it down a bit but don't want to lose the mass cause I like to rock chop.

This is gonna be my next knife. I like the idea of a wide blade for transporting prepped food off the board.

Gonna replace the handle scales with ebony tho

Thanks, I had the feeling it was slightly on the heavy side, but I wasn't sure if it was normal or not. It does feel good in the hand despite that, and I do love that grip, so I'll just have to get used to the weight.

I work as a prep cook and have a Tojiro and honestly it's kind of a piece of shit and doesn't hold it's edge. I had a wustof santaku that was like $100 but it was dropped once and broke in half. I'm using a $5 Kiwi knife now

y'know, scoopin up food with the knife dulls it right?

Not if you know what your doing and use the right angle

>it thinks women have something in their heads other than a pure vacuum
feminazi detected

I also own 2 Dick Premier

how do you like the cutting performance?

>not karate chopping all of your food

is that a goretex coat?

yes it will, no matter your technique. your cutting board is not a honing steel. either invest in a bench scraper, or flip your knife over and scrape with the non-beveled edge

Use a slightly lower angle than the one you use to sharpen and the edge never hits the board

I was a prep cook I know my shit

>pretend kramer knife marketed towards bored housewives shopping at williams-sonoma with hubby's credit card

I bet you refer to it as "my kramer"

What are they supposed to be buying instead then?

Some hand-crafted Japanese carbon steel knife that you have to order two years in advance and need like 4 ultra high-end whetstones and days of practice to sharpen properly?

What you describe is pretty much what a real Kramer is, except hes not jap. His more recent knives can sell for around 30k, the zwillings are a cash in on hos brand.

The Tojiros have VG-10 steel for themiddle, cutting layer of the blade. It's notorious for developing a difficult -to remove burr after sharpening. Maybe that's why you feel they aren't holding and edge? Other than that VG-10 typically takes a screaming sharp edge which wears off rather quickly but then stabilizes at merely very sharp for a long time.

he said scooping it up, that is with the blade almost parallel to the board, not scraping it off, with the blade vertical on the board.

The newer ones, not at all. I have bought two very nice older ones on ebay, but the other ones that I bought new (three ProDynamics, one Superior and a Premium Plus) were all really thick behind the edge, with a super wide irregular bevel and they also had a wavy profile, with parts of the edge almost concave. It was so bad I actually wrote a letter of complaint to the company. I cannot recommend the current ones at all. I had the Superior and the PremierPlus professionally thinned and I thinned one ProDynamic myself. Now they cut great, but factory standard is poor.

This works for me.

There is "working" and there is "working well".

Wouldn't a chinese cleaver be a better choice? I mean, does the rounded front still offer any function? You can't possibly rock chop with it, and using the tip to make cuts in, say, an onion f.e. would force you to hold it in a very steep and unwieldy angle, making it hard to be precise.

For me, this works well.

Have you ever worked with an actually good knife you can compare it with? I can see in your pic that the pull-through sharpener has already fucked up your edge and left a concave spot in front of the heel.

When using one of those things in the back to sharpen a knife, do I need to apply downwards pressure? Or just let the knife rest naturally and rock back and ford?

How is 52100 in a chef knife? How does it compare to something like blue #2 or white #2? I want a carbon steel gyuto

Are there any gyuto that are full tang with micarta scales

I rather have a Japanese hand made knife.

Japanese steel is terrible.
Doesn't hold an edge and is prone to fractures.

Works for me :^)

Clearly not judging by your pic.
That edge is fucked.

>low res photo with a bad camera
>terrible angle

Even if you could see anything, it's taken right before sharpening.

OK will try to buy this guided sharpening thing.

Isn't that meant for pocketknives?

yeah the bevel sucks I mostly use the santoku of this set wich has none
also the handle I like how it looks but your fingers should never be even slightly oily u will lose your grip

Oh.. guess I have to keep using the knife and sharpener I have now..

>glass cutting board

>Isn't that meant for pocketknives?

It's meant for any knife. Or tool. I've used them for kitchen knives, pocket knives, planer blades, my hatchet, camping axe, etc. A sharpening stone is a sharpening stone, user. they don't magically change from one tool to another.

>A sharpening stone is a sharpening stone, user. they don't magically change from one tool to another.
Ah, in that case, I can be extra safe and use a pocket knife for cooking. I mean, a knife is just a knife and it just doesn't magically change from one tool to another.

I unironically use my pocket knife for cooking and eating.

lel do you live in a cave or something