I've been searching for this particular type of orange chicken since I was a little kid. It is orange chicken...

I've been searching for this particular type of orange chicken since I was a little kid. It is orange chicken, but it's covered in this deep red sauce instead. The taste is a little sweeter and I much prefer it. The last place I knew to buy it at switched over to the orange sauce so now I need to make it on my own. Anyone have any clue?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IT7dUC-8PR0
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Char_siu
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>last place I knew to buy it at switched over to the orange sauce so

Can you post a picture of what it is you were buying?

Sure it wasn't sweet and sour?

Chinese restaurant up the road here(Alberta Canada) sells a similar looking dish called Mandarin chicken, it's fried chicken pieces in a spicy sweet mandarin orange sauce. It's hotter and sweeter than ginger beef if you know what that is, but that's kind of a local invention.

Nothing on google has a picture of it. It was a very deep red sauce and it was viscous, kinda like candy.

I tried sweet and sour but it didn't really taste the same nor was it the right viscosity.

Actually the sauce looked like this. I guess it is sweet and sour sauce, but it must be a particular type.

There's no way of knowing. Chinese takeout dishes aren't standardized things. It was likely something your local place made up.

could have been 'empress' of 'governor's' chicken. is sort of right though. These dishes aren't well defined.

*or

Sounds more like Mandarin chicken than orange chicken to me

General American Chinese food thread? My favorite is pepper steak. Get it with a side of steamed rice and a spring roll, put hot mustard on everything.

Was it mandarin chicken? Did it have ginger at all in it? I was also searching for this a while ago and it turned out to be that.

Restaurant in my old shitty town made the most amazing mongolian beef, seriously it was incredible. The sauce was so spicy and delicious.

They also made this amazing lemon chicken that was very crispy and light on the outside but moist on the inside. The lemon sauce was made fresh and had bursts of zesty citrus and sweetness.

Fuck I miss that place, the only good thing about living in bumfuck, central ca

Sounds like teriyaki to me

nah I think he's talking about bulgogi

I never knew pepper steak is Chinese. It's one of my favorite dishes. Served with a side of rice topped with some tomato sauce and steamed broccoli. Mmm mmm tasty. General Tsos sauce on boneless skinless chicken breast is really yummy too.

If you eat this 'food' you should kill yourself

t. chinese

>implying

China loves american '"Chinese'" food, it's even sold over in China as it's own thing despite how bizarrely circuitous it is. They probably call it American food. They wouldn't be wrong.

Look up cocacola chicken I'm pretty sure it's that

I love that we can fuck up a cuisine so badly it is actually good. USA still has hope.

The mixture of the sauce with this American Chinese food varies wildly. You're probably just going to have to experiment with different things that are typically used until you can approximate it. There's this general tsao chicken that is insanely delicious that I can only get where I grew up. Whenever I visit I always make a point of going there. I've never had a sauce mixture at another place that's anything like it.

I like both.

Just because it's not "authentic" doesn't mean it's not good. American Chinese food has the technique of Chinese cooking with the palette of Americans in mind. It's gotten much better than it used to be as people get more open to things being spicy.

Was it Genersl Tso chicken?

It's what I thought at first. Made with honey for sure if it's what I'm thinking of. Not that fake shit either, REAL honey.

Look at The Art of Cooking youtube vids. He worked in an American Chinese takeout place and it's the closest you will get to what you're looking for.

He has a general tsos and a honey chicken recipe, probably one of those

Isn't that simply fried chicken and sweet-and-sour sauce ?

>deep red sauce
>viscous
Look, I dont know how is it properly called in english, but in spanish we call it "salsa tamarindo" (I guess it's translated like "Tamarind sauce")

I just checked and "Tamarind sauce" is probably not the correct translation, but googling "Salsa tamarindo" gives me pic related

Sweet n sour sauce?

I've never seen it anywhere except Chinese restaurants. I've also never seen it with tomato sauce or broccoli. Just bell peppers, onions, a light brown sauce, and sometimes chunks of tomato.

G E N E R A L T S O

The red in chinese sauces and pork comes from red food dye.

It might be bourbon chicken. It's pretty popular in US Chinese places.

The description reminds me of something Chef John made rather recently, although it was made with pork, and I believe some commenters said that the deep red color mostly comes from food coloring. Can't watch right now.

youtube.com/watch?v=IT7dUC-8PR0

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Char_siu