I've spent the past year traveling through Latin America

I've spent the past year traveling through Latin America.

Mexico has good food, as does Peru, but the countries between are a FOOD WASTELAND. No spice. No technique. Just bland shit boiled and grilled, plus FRIED CHICKEN morning, noon, and night.

Can you prove me wrong?

Caribbean islands are also food wastelands. Argentina and Brazil have meme bbq and nothing else.

South America is the very definition of wasted potential, who is going to bother arguing with you about that shithole?

The Anglo Caribbean is weird. Some places use a lot of spice and have tasty food (Indian influence?), but others are super bland Latino food.

What's wrong with that dish? It's just carbs mixed with carbs with carbs on top with a slice of carbs with fats on it another side of carbs and whatever the hell that white square thing is (probably carbs)

You answer your own question

>Indian influence
British influence. British got it from India, but any place that's not India and uses curry got it from the British. British Navy spread curry around the world like an STD.

>how does sarcasm work?

Have you gone to Puerto Rico?

No, is it any different?

Seems like the only things good about Latin American food is what they inherited from the natives. In the Caribbean the natives were wiped out so I wouldn't expect much.

You could google mofongo, lechón (on the same note google the 'pork highway'), tostones de pana, tostones de platano. We have many other traditional meals, and they pack flavor because we love spices and condiments here. The only problem that we have, and I won't hide it, is that aside from our traditional food, we have been a bit americanized because of our connection to the US. We are basically a colony, although the gringos call us a commonwealth. (No offense if you are gringo)

The northeast part of Brazil has amazing food. The rest of the country subsists on shitty steak, beans, and rice.

The places with spice? British.

The bland places? Dutch.

Guess who had most of the plantations in the Caribbean?

None taken because we've tried to get you to become independent OR a state multiple times but your lazy cock government doesn't want to pay for itself OR pay taxes like a real state so you always vote down changing the status quo

Every once in a while citizens will get riled about not having a voice in Washington so the fed goes "ok cool lets sign you up" and then someone remembers that means you'd have to pay wage and federal taxes and suddenly representation doesn't matter as much

Argentina anons/tourists, how is argentinian food? looking to travel their next year probably, would appreciate some tips/knowledge :)

For a place that produces and consumes so much cheese, why is it all totally devoid of flavour (besides goat cheese where they can't help it). That flavourless soft white cheese goes by 100 different names, but in all cases it's a waste of good milk.

Leaving milk around to ferment in a hot, humid climate doesn't work out as well as it does in Europe

Also: The Dutch. The answer to everything wrong is always The Dutch East India Company.

its just bbq, nothing else

I apologize, I don't speak politics. Although I understand and have my point of view in this matter, I don't really speak it. Ironic because I brought the topic in the first place.

Going back to the food thing. If you live in New York, Florida or any of the southwest areas of the states, it is quite easy for you to find a puerto rican restaurant. Not sure if you could have the same luck in other states.

Fun fact: There are more puerto ricans living outside of Puerto Rico than in.

i hear that there are many italian and german influences on the cuisine due to immigration(similar to the US/Australia). Was this a meme though?

Venezuelan food was the best on Earth before the government starved everyone there.

just bants lad not trying to be a dick

PR is this wierd grey area most Americans are only aware exists in the most vague terms. You managed to escape the memeification like Hawaii did

There are German conclaves and towns where you can find actual German architecture and cuisine, but they mostly kept/keep to themselves, as one does when hiding from Nuremberg. It's more like a China Town, but with Krauts.

just think how amazing it'll taste when you can eat again!

Which will be never because the "popular" '"vote'" declared changing the constitution is cool :^)

Super dubious about that since Colombia food is possibly the blandest on the planet.

OP pic is typical Colombian fare.

I spent a month in Colombia and I found this to be true. The best meals I had there were fried chicken and fish. All other food was very sad, with one exception: Very good fruit.

In countries with bland and indifferent cooking the fish is always the order to go for, since good fish doesn't require anything. True in Latin America and also Africa (where similarly, with a few exceptions, the food is uniformly bland)

If you like fruit Southeast Asia blows Latin America out of the water for variety.

>Nazitown
kek

If you were the op who has travelled around south america, where would you recommend as the best tourist place/area

Not OP but I'd say Lima would be a pretty good place to go as long as you don't fall for the Machu Pichu meme. Good food (some of the best chinese food because the slaves) and a nice place. When I went it was winter there so it was overcast all day though.

This is op. Haven't been to Brazil or Argentina so can't speak to those, but I'd say the only place I can really recommend is highland Peru, particularly if you have a motorcycle at your disposal (best riding in the world without question).

For Latin America generally I do HIGHLY recommend Mexico. Has it's problems but massively diverse, great food, dirt cheap, beautiful cities, worlds best beaches... really there's no reason to go anywhere in Latin America besides Mexico. Whereas pretty much everywhere else I marvelled as to why tourists would bother, in Mexico I couldn't believe how few tourists there were vs. how great it is. I think many are scared away by the violence and the scale of the country.

How necessary is having a car/bike? I dont have a license so would have to rely on trains, do peru and mexico have good train systems to get around on?

>do HIGHLY recommend Mexico.
Can back this user up. World class food as long as you're not in fucking Cancun.

I've been to both, both were pretty good. I had quite a lot of unfamiliar fruits in Medellin. Though the fruit stands out less in se Asia because a million other things are also good there.

In Mexico bike was a hassle. Roads are absolutely terrible, but Mexican busses are really good and comfortable. Backpacking Mexico makes a lot of sense.

But in Peru you'll be limited to the tourist trail without wheels, and you won't be able to see many of the best places. Plus it's just amazing driving. If you're going there well worth it to rent/buy a bike when you arrive. The more out of the way you get the nicer things are (definitely not the case in Mexico).

As a white person in mexico, do people assume you would be american and spit in your food?

How dare you our food is uma delícia, muchacho.

QR has great food, just keep away from the really touristy bits.

Northern Mexico weirdly has lots of white people. The problem if they assume you're Mexican and start into 100mph Spanish.