Tfw Amazon slashed prices on Whole Foods products

>tfw Amazon slashed prices on Whole Foods products

TYBG. We finna eat good from now on you cu/ck/s

Other urls found in this thread:

wsj.com/articles/why-fruits-and-veggies-are-so-crazy-cheap-in-chinatown-1466762400
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Still not gonna shop there.

so are people going to stop bitching about not being able to afford to shop at "whole paycheck?"

Those boxes they come in aren't treated all that well and most the time are leaking something.

Still more expensive than your average grocer.

Mainly these.

is it because youre still upset they made you feel jealous when you couldnt afford it, or because you still cant afford to shop there?

I've got a bunch of better options within walking distance of where I live. My neighborhood is full of little greengrocers, butcher shops, fishmongers and other specialty shops, including Chinese, Latino and Middle Eastern stores. I'd have to drive to get to WF, the scale of the place it too big for me, I don't like the people who shop there and the place is always crowded. Fuck that.

inb4 whole foods becomes Sam's Club

>the place is always crowded. Fuck that.

Yup that really does it for me, I fucking hate being elbow to elbow in their, I'll probably just continue going to sprouts and albertson's

You are the kind of person who would buy human feces if it came in a nice box and had enough buzzwords aren't you?

ok, so why post that youre not going to shop there when the price drop wouldnt have affected your decision in the first place? I know why, it's because youre a memester douchebag who has never even been into a whole foods but is more than willing to repeat some shit someone else said about whole foods so you can feel like you fit in. you know what? keep your shit comments for yourself. dont fuck with your grandpa just because you cant afford anything and still milk joey's cows 40 hours a weak so you can buy yourself a snickers.

im LMAOing at your life.

t. Assistant manager at Whole Foods

youre comparing a less desirable product with a more desirable one to make yourself feel better about your shitty little nerf life where you cant afford $14 rotisserie chickens. just the shitty $5 ones from walmart are good enough, right?

Not quite. In some places I've been it's the only option. I've got family in NOLA, and the situation there for grocery shopping is shit. So if you don't want to be at the mercy of janky corner stores you have no choice.

But I live in Brooklyn. There are literally hundreds of shops within walking distance of me. Places I enjoy shopping at a lot more than WF. To me WF is unpleasant, giving my $$ to little family run businesses is more my speed. If I want local produce I'll go to the farmer's market and buy it there.

>Still no Whole Foods reasonably close to me
>Trader Joe's, Food Bazaar, BJ's and Costco are closer

Also, the Whole Food's I have visited were filthy.

great for you then. whoop de fucking doo. you can be too good for whole foods all you want, we get it.

>over priced shit is now normal priced
Wow.

>you can be too good for whole foods all you want
How do you get that from what I said?! I said I have other closer options I like shopping at better, so I won't be going to WF. Everyone who doesn't like shopping there isn't either too poor to do so or thinks they're too good to. Or some kind of memester. You're projecting a lot of insecurities there.

I actually cook my own meals
You wouldn't like them tho, they don't come in a box

are you the guy who confused whole foods with hello fresh? whole foods is a premium grocery.

I got that because you felt the need to post "still not gonna shop there" so you can feel like you fit in with the hive. why else would you bother with that shitpost? why do you think people care that youre not going to shop there because it's too far for you? we're talking about the price drop and you're so conceited you think we give a shit about your little anecdote that has nothing to do with what we're talking about.

It still gets shipped the same way.

>Premium grocery
How American can you be?
Enjoy your premium frozen pizza and gourmet milk

it gets shipped the same way it does at any other grocery.

that's what it is. sorry you think it's some overhyped store you cant afford to shop at. in the real world whole foods is referred to as a premium grocery.

>responsibly farmed
>organic
>animal-welfare-rated

Do you take your kids there on weekends? Do they make you pay tickets to get in? Do you talk about it with your coworkers during coffee brakes?
>Premium grocer
I bet they have some high quality burger flavored potato chips

you just hate it because you dont know what youre missing and it's popular.

He was off base in his ridicule of you imho. Of course local farmers are better to buy from than WF both because the produce will be fresher and generally small farmers are more environmentally conscientious than the larger suppliers WF will be using. And supporting local mom & pops if they have good quality will always be better than buying from behemoths like WF. Having said that I use WF for bulk grains and legumes where with the 10% discount for buying 25lb bags it puts them more in line with other grocers.

I predicted a couple years ago that Amazon would be the first company to make basic groceries free as a way of drawing in customers for products with an actual margin. We are well on our way to post-scarcity capitalism, which I don't think many people saw coming.

>so you can feel like you fit in with the hive.
Again with the weird projecting.
>why else would you bother with that shitpost?
Because price might not be the only reason someone might choose not to shop there, idiot. The scale of the place and the crowd are factors as well.
>and you're so conceited
Again with the projecting. Let me try: You've got issues.

I find it hilarious to think about Americans forming a line on Friday night only to be the first to get into the premium grocery at Saturday like it's some sort of event like a concert or something

this is a thread about the price being dropped and in you come "im not going to shop there because it's too far from where I live"

who the fuck cares, get over yourself.

we dont need to stand in line for bread like you do in russia. we can go into the store whenever it's open.

Yeah, they dropped the prices.

/thread

Last I heard you had to wait in line for five hours for fucking toast just because toast became popular on twitter

that's fake news.

I bet that between 70 and 90% of the products you can buy at your premium grocery contain corn in some form

that's because you have never stepped foot into a whole foods.

>all these whole foods fanboys getting btfo
I shop there among a half dozen other places, but the amount of brand loyalty ITT is ridiculous, yall have truly been memed
WFM's selection has been going downhill for years and the amazon buy will cement this. Everything you buy there now comes from the same megafarms you'll find at any other grocery; your elitism is based entirely on falling for their marketing tactics

nah, it doesnt come from the same place as the normal grocery.

>megafarms you'll find at any other grocery

Nah, that's not true at least at the closest one to me. They buy some produce and meats from local farms and even give the name and location of them so you can investigate on your own. Other grocers at least in my area aren't doing that.

>small farmers are more environmentally conscientious than the larger suppliers WF will be using.

Dude what the fuck? You are out of your god damn mind. Have you ever word of the concept "economies of scale"? You will have higher waste to produce ratio on a smaller farm than a bigger farm there is no way around that its simple math.

The food WF sells is literally no different than what Walmart sells. And if you think otherwise, then you already fell for one of the greatest myths the grocery business has put out there.

>The food WF sells is literally no different than what Walmart sells.
This. It's all big AgriBusiness organic, aside from a few token local items that they make a big deal crowing about. That's why they were in trouble. Why would customers go to WF for organic food when they can get it cheaper at Walmart. This is why the price drop happened.

How do you think the farm business works? Local beef farmer raises grass fed beef. It's time for slaughter, he takes his cows and sells them to the local mega processor plant, where it will be processed into carcasses and other meat products, Mega processor plant sells said beef to anyone who will buy it, including walmart, cosco, kroger. Also I guarantee you the meat in your store doesn't come from one farm alone otherwise it would be seasonal and you wouldn't have half the beef products on offer the entire year.

Think about shit for a second dude. it can't be local its not possible, or your store would be empty.

If you really want local get it from the farmer, either at a farm stand, a farmer's market or through a CSA.

or just go to whole foods like a normal person.

Funny, the whole foods where I am is always nearly empty. It's actually pretty comfy, but will probably get worse now.

>That's why they were in trouble

WF was in trouble because they're bound to have ungodly amounts of waste. You can't make money off of selling fresh produce, fresh meat and fresh fish, its simply not possible because customers don't buy it in enough quantities to make it profitable, which means everything else in the store is supporting the losses of the stuff that brings the customers in the door but they dont buy.

Whole Foods was never sustainable as a business model, and people laughed when I said they would end up going bankrupt. The only thing now that is different is Amazon shareholders, for some god damn reason, are ok with Amazon not making money, so they can literally have stores as loss leaders on the imaginary hope that people will come there to pick up their amazon orders.

The biggest issue with that is... How much of a burden is amazon willing to take for losing money in the grocery business, vs what they expect to make in sales from their website. Time will tell.

>or just go to whole foods like a normal person.

You are not buying local meat at whole foods, that is a myth

I'm pleased with the price drop. I'm without a car at the moment though and WF is a haul. I've been there once and they had a decent selection of local beers and the produce looked ok I guess. It was super crowded and I can't say I enjoyed being there. That said.

I get my meat on Saturdays twice a month from an Italian grocery with amazing meat prices. I go to Aldi on the other Saturdays, I end up buying most of my produce and dry goods from there.

In between is the Asian market, the Indian market and ShopRite.

WF has it's place and clientele, I'm just not one of them. Its nice to see everyone being able to save some money, WF shoppers or not.

my local whole foods does sell local meat.

Is it worth going to whole foods for cheese?

I'm in Baltimore County and don't know where else to get good cheese.

prove it

it's the local grocery, everything in there is local, nothing needs to be ordered online and shipped to my house.

oh so youre just an edgelord faggot

>You can't make money off of selling fresh produce, fresh meat and fresh fish,
You can, actually, but not with the supermarket model. The Chinatown shops near me make money selling veggies, meat and fish for way cheaper than the supermarket. But they have their own distribution networks. Instead of getting weekly deliveries and keeping them in a giant fridge the distributor is in the neighborhood, and does daily deliveries as needed to the store. This results in minimal spoilage, allowing them to make a profit selling for cheap. But you can't do that on a supermarket scale.

nah, the people bitching about whole foods are the edgy angsty ones who need to be different.

>edgy angsty ones who need to be different.
More projecting.

you keep using that buzzword as though it refutes the fact.

>local store
>fish, meat, veg cheaper prices
>smaller customer base
>less spoilage
>making money

yeah.. bullshit.

Right and wrong. Small farms lose some economy of scale compared to big farms but it is mostly all a false economy. Quicker cheaper feeding is always of less quality, thus less quality meat. Same for the slaughtering and butchering, it's always worse and dirtier.

You are right though to point out that WF is mostly the same as Walmart. "Organic" proved to hold a higher price line than conventional, so it got memed into every large farm possible. There are now large agricorp farms paying lip service to things like "organic", "grass-fed", and "pasture raised".

The only real way to get quality is namable family farms within driving distance of you that have open door policies. But then prices would go not down from your list, but up. Only way to be "real" and eat cheap at the same time is to drive to the farm and buy bulk direct, which then leads to problems with convenience / storage.

Right now I do the family farm at-the-market overpay thing but I will probably switch to wholefoods or Amazon fresh delivery of fauxrganics because it's cheap as the farmer direct option as frees up more time to make money, as I am hourly Uber slave.

The fact that you assume things about others itt based on things they say, and are confident those assumptions are facts because you can't imagine anyone seeing the world differently than you do. This kind of extreme conformist thinking leads me to suspect you're a Midwesterner. Because that's where that kind of thinking is the norm.

again with this edgy, im better than you because im different from normal people, bullshit.

You have to sign in to read the whole article, but the title and byline ought to be enough to prove this is true.

wsj.com/articles/why-fruits-and-veggies-are-so-crazy-cheap-in-chinatown-1466762400

>hates on whole foods
>hates on midwesterners
>uses words like "conformist" and "projecting"
you are a memester douche.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Economies of scale don't even come into play in discussing environmental impact. The mega agri companies are running scorched earth monoculture even under the auspices of USDA Organic because they wrote the rules to permit the same kinds of pesticide applications that allow them to get away with it. Most small organic farmers whether certified or not (big agri also wrote the rules so that it's prohibitively expensive to get certification) are practicing sustainable permaculture. If you aren't a socially phobic NEET go visit some of your local farms and observe how they operate. Then go look at a 1000 acre monoculture dead earth farm. You might learn something though I doubt you're capable of it since you think people actually producing food sustainably is a jewish conspiracy.

Who the fuck are normal people, anyways? I don't know anyone who identifies as normal except Midwesterners.

HELLL YEHAHHh

>tfw I always buy my fruits and veggies in Chinatown and laugh at all the yuppies paying markups
Cherries are so dirt cheap there, buying them at a regular grocer feels like highway robbery.

I'm so used to Chinatown prices I feel ripped off buying vegetables at supermarkets. I'll pay a premium at a farmer's market because the stuff is high quality and super fresh. But I won't pay for supermarket shit.

Listen I can't read that, I've googled it, its behind a wall. But it sounds like your local chink stores just sell produce at the same price as my local grocery store. I have worked in distribution, the idea that a small store could possibly get a better price than a distributor who will order tractor and trailer loads of the stuff is ludicrous.

You drank a gallon of the kool aid dude. You can't seriously be suggesting that a hundred small farms, have a smaller environmental footprint than one big huge farm that tries its very damn best to reduce expenses and maximize the bottom line. That is simply not possible, Economies of scale absolutely come into play, the cheaper your produce, the less resources it took to make it.

They have their own network of farms all over the world. The stuff gets shipped to a distributor in the neighborhood who makes runs to local markets on a daily basis. Usually in a beat up van. So none of the groceries have to have their own walk in fridge. Everything gets delivered (and mostly sold) that day. And the distributor is serving so many little groceries that he's blowing through everything quickly. Like I said, they set up their own system, and the result is much cheaper than the supermarket model.

>Quicker cheaper feeding is always of less quality, thus less quality meat. Same for the slaughtering and butchering, it's always worse and dirtier.

Even grass fed beef eats corn at the last stages of life or during times when feed isn't freshly available. But the fact of the matter is, you can't claim that grass fed beef is better quality than corn fed beef. You could claim it is a different product, maybe, but the fact of the matter is, the public couldn't give a shit, all they want is their beef to be cheap.

When it comes to slaughter or butchering. Farmers don't do it themselves, they want a pay out, you don't get a payout from doing it yourself. They take their cows and sell it to the processor, who will process the animal into beef products and cuts that will be sold in bulk to distributors and retailers. Joe's cow that was fed grass all its life is mixed in a pack of steaks with John's cow that ate corn for the last 3 months of its life but grass fed most of the time.

If we were to go to a system of "higher quality" as you suggest, the system of agriculture would simply collapse, no farmer can afford to do it all himself. Just like you don't go to a store and buy wheat, you buy flour, Same thing with farmers and meat processors and slaughter houses.

In fact if you were to think in terms of having to buy the wheat everytime you wanted to buy a loaf of bread vs buying the flour already milled, is a great way to understand why smaller farms are "dirtier" than big ones. Specialization is the best thing that could have happened in our economy, and economies of scale just werk.

>bulk-buy store with a focus on organic, local foods
PLEASE JEFF BEZOS MAKE THIS HAPPEN

there's a lot of misinformation in this post.

>get told to eat more fish
>salmon/trout fillet €28/kg

>having to buy the wheat everytime you wanted to buy a loaf of bread vs buying the flour already milled,
My wife buys grain, mills it herself and makes bread from it. He bread is much better than anything I could find at a local bakery or supermarket. There is a reason for this. Every level of specialization is an opportunity to undermine the quality of the finished product. Freshly milled flour still contains all of the natural oils of the wheat berry, making it more nutritious and tastier. The bag of organic whole wheat flour at WF or Walmart has had most of those oils stripped away so it won't go rancid sitting on the shelves for months. So the bread you make from it will never be as tasty as bread made from freshly milled wheat.

Every level of convenience costs something in terms of quality. If you want quality you either put the effort in or pay for it. People pay $9 for a loaf of my wife's bread.

Small organic farms compost plant residue, practice crop rotation, companion plant and plant nutrient building cover crops like clover and vetch to rebuild soil. They usually have access to manures either through their own livestock operation or a relationship with a livestock farmer. They have no need of industrially manufactured pesticides and herbicides produced from a smokestack factory 1000 miles away. Their soil is alive instead of just a mechanism to hold plant roots and transmit petroleum derived fertilizers. Environmental impact is worse on a small sustainable permaculture farm? You're insane.

This post really illustrates much of what's wrong with current food production. Yes you have volume and convenience but the end product is far inferior. In the US it's reached the point where flour is stripped of all vitamins and minerals only to have them added back from lab derived synthetics. Livestock is fed solely for rapid growth with maximum weight gain, injected with growth hormones and then injected with a 10% solution of sodium and chemicals. I called them out on it and asked why, just why? Their response? We're committed to providing the most tender and best flavored pork and chicken on the market, lol.

>only one lime
D R O P P E D

It's because people want cheap food, and are more than willing to sacrifice quality to get it. If I want, say really good porkchops from heritage breed pigs I can get them. But it's gonna cost me at least $15 a pound. If I want top quality cows milk cheese made by someone with their own pastured herd of dairy cows I can get that, too. But it will be $30/lb. If you're not rich you're not going to be eating very much of either.

But I live in a place with a lot of rich people, so this stuff is at least available to me. In much of the country people don't even know this stuff exists, and can't imagine paying more than $4/lb for pork or $12/lb for fancy cheese. So they shop at WF and just assume they're getting good stuff. But what they're getting is just the organic version of what's in every other supermarket. Which may be a little better in terms of not having pesticide residues, but is hardly top quality stuff. Really good stuff is crazy expensive, and available only to those with the money to pay for it.

For everybody else we keep food as cheap as possible so they don't riot.

People may buy your wife's bread for $9 there's nothing wrong with that, I am sure it is a fine bread. But you're out of your mind if you think $9 for a loaf of bread is reasonable, A corner bakery could do this work, and because it has a larger scale than your home kitchen, they could produce the same level/quality of bread and it wouldn't cost the $9 you charge.

>convenience at the cost of quality

That is just false. You have choices in this world and specially in the western world, you can choose to buy big baker bread at any grocery store or you can do it yourself at home if you prefer the superior product. Just because you consider wonderbread to be disgusting or vastly inferior product, it doesn't make it so, the vast majority of the public prefers the so called inferior product, this is why people view your arguments as elitist.

Pepperidge farm has some beautiful tasty great breads made with whole grains, oat flour and other varieties, they sell it at majority of grocery stores in the country, the loaf is around tree fiddy a loaf. You know what happens to it at my local town? The vendor has to eat it, because it goes out of date, because people prefer wonderbread type of bread.

>In the US it's reached the point where flour is stripped of all vitamins and minerals only to have them added back from lab derived synthetics.

You talk as if food in the US was so vastly different than anywhere else in the world and its not, that is a myth. White flour is white flour anywhere in the world.

>They have no need of industrially manufactured pesticides and herbicides produced from a smokestack factory 1000 miles away.

Are you saying they weed their beds by hand?

>they could produce the same level/quality of bread and it wouldn't cost the $9 you charge.
A)They could if they milled their own flour, otherwise not.
B)$9 is with the retailer's markup at one place that sells it. Most folks pay $6.50.
>this is why people view your arguments as elitist.
When good things are inefficient to produce they will be expensive, and only the elite will be able to afford them. Do you know why people pay $9 a loaf for her bread? Because the store that charges that markup is in a cute little town where wealthy New Yorkers have their weekend places, and it's much better than what the other local bakeries are doing. They have to cut corners to sell more bread to a wider market at a lower price. My wife doesn't cut any corners. But the only reason she can run this business is because there are rich people nearby willing to shell out for her lack of compromise.
>You talk as if food in the US was so vastly different than anywhere else in the world and its not, that is a myth.
When it comes to bread it definitely is. Some of the folks paying $9 a loaf are rich Russians who specifically say, "You can't find bread like this in America."
>White flour is white flour anywhere in the world.
Bleached enriched white flour is terrible. Her starting point is freshly milled whole wheat and rye flours, literally ground before mixing. That's completely different than commercial white flour.

yo bro you need to cool it down a notch.

honestly the only reason i shopped at whole foods to begin with was niggers not being able to afford to shop there. i was completely ok with paying a little extra if i didnt have to see niggers at the store. fuck amazon now the one nigger free place to shop for food is going to be filled with them

>When good things are inefficient to produce they will be expensive, and only the elite will be able to afford them.

I think you missed the entire point.

You could have all breads cost exactly the same, and the vast majority of people would buy wonderbread, because they prefer it.

Is there a Mcdonald's inside every Whole Foods? Like Walmart

Asking for a friend, God bless.

Except that's not happening, so swing and a miss Nostradamus

>people prefer Wonderbread
The fuck?

this already is in place, but it's only for niggers. it's called food stamps.

if you cant understand that, then you dont understand the world you live in or the that people are different. and that is why foodies get a bad name, people eat what they want, just because you think the product is inferior, it doesnt make it so. let people eat what they want to eat, get off your pedestal and eat what you want to eat.

aka its ok to not like things, but dont be a dick about it.

This is like having someone rape you, and then thanking them for raping you just a little bit softer.

Who falls for this shit?

Sorry, let me restate my position

>the vast majority of people prefer Wonderbread
The fuck?

nah, it's not.

Hello Wholefoods Representative #254.

>the vast majority of people would buy wonderbread, because they prefer it.
This is only true in America, because when the Silvercup Bakery introduced enriched white bread at the start of WWII it was marketed as a luxury, and cost twice as much as other bread. True, Americans had a love of squishy white bread before then. But go to places like Germany, Poland, Holland and the bread culture is different. That squishy white stuff isn't as popular at all. It's an American (and English) preference. But that creates a niche market for these other kinds of breads, and people in that market are willing to pay for them. Already a huge thing in the UK. And it's starting to catch on here. I know three people running micro bakeries in Brooklyn. But my wife is the only one milling her own flour, which gives her and edge. Her bread is both more flavorful and sating as a result.

I get your point that Wonder bread is popular because people like it. But would any of those folks pay $9 a loaf for it?