Noko

Hey guys I work at Benihana. I've been a prep cook for about 6 months just started chef training. I'll answer any questions about Benihana or teppanyaki in general if i can

Other urls found in this thread:

pagesix.com/2014/02/27/late-benihana-founders-ex-wife-counter-sues-his-children/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

can you share the hot sauce recipe?

How good are your onion volcanoes?

Last time I went to Benihana the chef made me cluck like a chicken and then threw food at me.

I can. I used to work at Benihana too
If you're talking about "Kamikaze sauce", it's just mayonnaise and sriracha.

The hot sauce is one part chili paste 5 parts teriyaki. Unfortunately since I work in the daytime I've only had to make the chili paste twice and dont remember the recipe off the top of my head. I know it's mostly ketchup and different chili powders and sauces and salt. If this thread is alive tomorrow evening I'll take a picture the recipe and post

Thank you user!

Onion volcanoes are easy because befire the chefs go out they choose a good hibachi onion slice and pre- break apart the layers so it's easy to set up on the grill. Anyone could do it

How do I get work at a restaurant?

noko doesn't go in the subject field faggot

How hard is it to become a chef there with no qualifications, and how much do they get paid?

We call it Diablo Sauce now and its pretty much only used in the Seafood Diablo. It's one part chili paste and 3ish parts mayo

People would go apeshit for Kamikaze. Every few weeks we'd have someone want to buy like a tub of it.

Do you ever keep a small bird in your breast pocket to eat the shrimp tails you throw up there?

I dont think you could get hired as a teppan chef with no kitchen experience unless they desperately need someone. You would have to work prep for a while like i did. The pay depends on what restaurant you work in. Mine is busy and has alot of big spenders so it averages with tips to about $20-25 an hour at about 45-50 hours a week

You have to start from the bottom and work your way. Most places are always hiring dishwashers and preps cause the turnover is so high. I got this job on Craigslist and started a dollar above starting wage because I've worked in kitchens my whole life

Lol we're not allowed to throw good at people anymore

Gay

polite pork chop bump

Can you please post that sweet sweet ginger sauce recipe.
I've tried some copy cat recipes, but it never tastes the same.

Look your onion is now a train! Choo choo! Congratulations OP you're going to be the mildly knife skilled joke of the culinary world.

How easy is teppanyaki to learn? When I was in my teens, I felt like Benihana was supposed to be this once in a lifetime experience, but now I seem to find teppanyaki reasonably frequently.

How long does training take?

What's the most dangerously close you or a coworker has come to injuring someone?

What's the worst request you've ever seen from someone?

I'm not excessively proud of myself for being a chef there. The money is better than any job I've had and all that really matters to me

I watched that Steve Aoki documentary the other day and only just learned that Benihana was his dad.

Benihana was fucking insane, in a good way.

"line cook" is the term you're looking for, not "chef", Chef.

It's not that hard if you have any knack at all for cooking and multitasking. More of it is the presentation and keeping guests engaged as well as cooking in a timely manner.

I've been around for a while now and know most of the menu so for me probably 3 weeks at most. I'll be able to pass the rest by then.

One time a coworker (who is now fired) broke a ceramic rice bowl, causing pieces to shatter into the fried rice on the grill. He then attempted to remove all the pieces out of the rice and served it anyways. One of the guests ate some rice with ceramic in it and complained.

The worst request I've seen (apart from people making up allergies and shit) is someone ordering a chato well done with extra garlic butter, then asking for it to be cooked more until it was basically incinerated (they were black)

No, the term is Teppan Chef. A line cook cooks on a line in the back of house. I've been a line cook before. Like I said before, i don't think this is an amazing achievement or that I'm achieving the pinnacle of the culinary world. I'm just trying to be informative for any anons who are interested

I've only made that sauce once, as with the other one. And as with the other one, I'll post the recipe tomorrow evening if the thread isnt kill

Cuck,

What do you find more difficult, chopping onions without crying or trying to hide your arousal with all the fresh pisca ass you stare at all day?

Also does your cuck cage get cold in the walk-in shrinking your already miniscule juevos?

Guess you've never seen the founder/family. They seem kinda...

pagesix.com/2014/02/27/late-benihana-founders-ex-wife-counter-sues-his-children/

I dont see why the fueding of the heirs to Rocky's fortune should bother me. Most of the restaurants are owned now by an American billionaire investment fund anyways

I just thought it was amusing. Like a real soap opera.

you might as well get us mustard sauce while you're at it :)

I work at Benihana also OP, what state are you in?

Do your servers make decent money? Are most of your customers niggers? We get TONS of niggers and loads of bad reviews on yelp because my manager is an incompetent gook bitch with dementia and doesn't enforce the dress code, gratuity or any Benihana policies. I'm actually taking this week off out of stress. I debate quitting every single day. Server btw, 5 months

Not OP but >How long does training take?
For chefs between weeks and months depending on how retarded they are. I see a lot of people come through trying to learn it and fail miserably. The last four or five new ones didn't make it but to me they all seemed especially dumb, I've cooked on the grills myself even though I'm not a chef (making lunch for staff) and it's different, but not hard.

>What's the most dangerously close you or a coworker has come to injuring someone?
Chef I work with recently had an onion volcano explode oil in his face. he'd been repeatedly told though that he's using too much vodka but he literally played with fire and now wears an eyepatch

>What's the worst request you've ever seen from someone?
i had an entire family come in and the mom tells me they don't eat soy, gluten, dairy, eggs, red meat, rice, corn syrup, etc. Why even come here? All had salad with no dressing and chicken, zucchini, onion with only salt and oil. Depressing life for those kids.

Last week I had a loud drunk Turkish woman ask me for a whole raw onion. I talked to the head chef and he said he'd only sell her a raw side of onions for $2 as normal. She made a big deal about how it better be a golden onion for that price but ate about 1/2lb white onion raw.

We appreciate the effort man, I love that orange sauce I put on rice

I've got one better. Not trying to hijack.

I used to work the morning breakfast pangrill for omelettes, fried smoky bacon, sunnyside up eggs, etc. in this four star hotel.
I got pretty good at it and was able to have up to 8 orders at any one time on this 2x2ft grill.

This one fucking guest, old guy, everyday for two fucking weeks asked to specially have his order done in a seperate pan, which was a hassle to setup given the limitations of space at my station. He wanted his chopped up bacon fried in butter, and two raw eggs on top. The spoon was to be swirled through the mass once in the 'hot' pan, and then served (poured is more accurate). 99% raw. I shit you not. He flipped his shit if it was anything close to borderline cooked and legally servable.

His daughter then comes up, middle aged lady around 50, asks for me to put mustard on grill, wanted it "seared" then an egg on top. That too, also barely cooked.

Some people, I swear.

bimping for muh sauce recipes

surely OP will delivar

Bumb

Benihana? Beni-fucking-hana? Beni-FUCKING-hana? Why, why God? Why would you be so cruel as to choose a chain of fucking Hibachi restaurants to take me down?

>bimping
what did you mean by this??

Aww shit, someone who actually works at a Benihana posting on Veeky Forums?

I've been working at a sushi bar for 3 years now. I could potentially answer some questions pertaining to sushi or pretty much everything but hibachi type stuff.

>What's the worst request you've ever seen from someone?

I've been asked to give a chef cream cheese because a customer wanted it cooked into their rice.

Are you Asian?

This is the final time I'm bumping this in the hopes that OP isn't a massive faggot

Nope.
NYC born and bred.
Got some Irish and English ancestory.

>people who make special orders at hotel kitchens

truly death is too merciful.

It's always old fucking white people too. And they're always "diamond" members.

>Are you Asian?
>Nope.
>NYC born and bred

because there are no asians in NYC

OP here
Sorry I couldn't get the recipe book on my last shift because they were using it for training and i had today off. I work tomorrow so I'll post it tomorrow around 5ish Pacific time. Sorry for the wait bois

OP here again: No im not. Most of the chefs here are Mexican and a couple Vietnamese guys and one Thai guy

My restaurant is in an affluent part of southern California so most niggers can't afford to live there.

The servers get a pretty decent amount of money from what I see because we are normally pretty busy at dinner and get a lot of big tips.

The management here is pretty good and pretty stern on corporate policies, so things are smooth most of the time, except for everything is breaking in the kitchen and they take 2 months or more to order new parts

asking the real question

Who here puts mustard sauce on their fried rice? Need to know how to make it

I want to try out the food at Benihana but I dont like seafood. Are there good non seafood options?

I'm posting the recipe tomorrow

Benihana does more than just seafood. Steak, rice, chicken and veggies. I would get a filet dinner which comes with fried rice and onions and zucchini

Two months isn't too bad, I've worked in a few places that aren't nearly so fast.

>made me
Cuck