ITT: cooking tips everyone should know

ITT: cooking tips everyone should know

>tfw no one told me that carrot dilutes the acidity of tomatoes plus adds that extra bit of needed sweetness

my sauce could have been godly so much sooner..

also pic related is awesome

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolognese_sauce
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

While that is true, if your sauce is coming out acidic or bitter you're using shitty tomatoes.

i am sensitive to acidity, ive tried the best brands possible, fresh garden tomatoes as well, still notice it

carrot has helped more than anything

Do you dice it up and leave it in or stick a few whole carrots in and then remove them later?

you need to use more salt

leave it in
i dont shy away from using salt at all

>carrots in tomato sauce
That's white boy shit.
Also, real greasy guidos use San Marzanos for their sauce.

you fucked up bad... just think think of all the pussy you could've gotten if you put carrots in your sauce

oh boy. You're not simmering it long enough. Christ.

You could just add a spoonful of brown sugar. That's what I do.

I tried putting carrot in once. It may have been too much, but it turned the whole sauce orange and it didn't taste too good.

>not using fire roasted flavor

Lack of carrot is the least of your problems.

>wasting money on meme tomatoes

next time finely grate the carrot into the sauce. My grandma does that and her marina is amazing.

I something a little like that to make my generic pasta sauces

>cup of caramelized onions
>a few roasted carrots
>sauteed celery

blend that all together with a can of tomatoes like OPs pic and start cooking.

you know you can grow your tomatoes right user? you are not retarded, by chance?

no, that is genuine italian cuisine

>retard who's never heard of bolognese

if italians hate the acidity of tomatoes then i don't want their red sauce. they're my favorite fruit because it isn't sweet

Since we are on the topic of acidity, I've found that the best way to rescue any burnt sauce with that "burnt" taste is to add a dash of vinegar or wine.

Something to do with the fact that vinegar helps dissolve carbon (works also on said burnt-on pan when cleaning).

The opposite also applies. If you first sear/fry/roast your chopped up veggies in the pan to have a golden-brown edge before adding any liquids, then the resulting acidity has something to attack rather than float around in the sauce.

>Something to do with the fact that vinegar helps dissolve carbon (works also on said burnt-on pan when cleaning).

That doesn't make sense though. Dissolving something doesn't change its taste, it simply changes its shape. For example, you can dissolve salt in water but it tastes salty. Dissolve sugar in water and it tastes sweet. Dissolving burnt food doesn't make the burnt taste go away.

Every credible source I have seen that discussed burnt food suggests discarding the burnt portion ASAP. If you have food that burned in the bottom of your pot the best thing you can do is pour off the non-burnt part into a new, clean, pot. Scraping up the burnt bits only makes the problem worse.

The only thing I can imagine the vinegar or wine doing would be adding additional flavors that can help cover up the burnt taste.

If you need more sweetness in your tomato sauce, add tomato paste/puree to your passata/crushed tomatoes instead of adding carrots.

I meant to add to change the pot ASAP aswell, that goes without saying.

But I do believe there is some chemical reaction that goes on to "mask" or change the burnt taste into something else, because it doesnt come across so obvious when you taste it later.

awww yiss, this stuff is amazing. If only I didn't go through half a tube everytime I make a goddamned passable sauce.

What I like to do is add a little adobo sauce to my tomato sauce. It gives it a nice smokey flavor.

>tube
wut? it comes in cans, m8

>double concentrated
holy shit you don't fuck around

Post your marinara/basic pasta sauce recipes (pls)

OP here

>14g butter 14g olive oil
>1 yellow onion, diced very small
>1 whole peeled carrot, shredded
>6 cloves of garlic, crushed
>1 TBs of red pepper paste, known as turkish salça
>italian seasoning, salt, pepper, red chili flakes all to taste of course
>2 TBs of chopped italian parsley
>1 28oz can of OP pic

>sweat onion and carrot for 15 minutes or so, low heat and dont let anything brown
>add garlic and seasonings, turn heat to med low, and cook for a couple minutes, don't let anything brown
>add your salça, sub with tomato paste if you cant find it, and mash it and cook to take that raw edge off for a couple minutes
>add tomatoes and parsley, stir everything together, and simmer on low for 2 hours

in any case, its very easy to experiment with tomato sauce to find your own personal perfect sauce. thats mine

Thanks senpai. Ill have to substitute red pepper paste for plain tomato but I'm interested to see how carrot turns out.

one thing I forgot to mention

cook your pasta early and reserve two cups of that cloudy starchy pasta water, any time you need to add liquid to your sauce add that pasta water, helps to mesh the sauce together

>no basil
And you thought you were missing out with no carrots, oh boy have I got something for you...

I imagine the Italian seasoning has basil in it

what the fuck is "italian seasoning"

you know you can just google stuff like that.

obvious bait, as anyone who has ever cooked ever could confirm.

garbage

>a seasoning that is used in italy
okay you're going to have to be more specific

>butter
>dont let anything brown
>no wine
>no FRESH basil
>using "italian seasoning" instead of the separate herbs
>yellow onion instead of white onion
>adding seasonings before the tomatoes
what the fuck are you doing m8

Basil just turns black the second you add it to the sauce anyway. It's a waste.

it is literally on wikipedia.

>using fresh herbs in something that's cooked longer than 10 minutes
>suggesting fucking white onions over yellow for savory applications
rookie mistakes

Any tomato sauce worth its salt needs fresh basil. And italian seasoning is for people that can't cook.

I made this yesterday:

chop onions and start cooking in pot with olive oil and salt
cook garlic in more oil in another pan
throw garlic into pot with onions
fry meatballs in oil garlic was in
add tomato paste to pot with galic and onion
remove grease from pan and deglaze with red wine
add reduced wine to pot
add mashed up peeled tomato
season with oregano, basil, black pepper, red pepper
add meatballs and a couple bay leaves
simmer for a while

I don't know if cooking the tomato paste first actually does anything.

you add the fresh herbs at the end come on this ain't hard

but yeah, white onion... fuck that shit

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolognese_sauce

One thing I learned is that any tomato based food needs to be completely cooled before storing it in the fridge , this is to stop it becoming acidic

Explain. I pour my sauce into a jar and put it directly in the refrigerator to cool before I put a lid on it. I don't really notice anything bad about it. How would waiting for it to cool naturally affect the taste?

isn't basil considered italian seasoning

I'm talking about the premade "italian seasoning" product he used in his crap recipe. See