Coffee

How does Veeky Forums make their coffee?

Moka pot for me

Other urls found in this thread:

vimeo.com/231787195
vimeo.com/231805944
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You're having trouble arent you?

Very simply, load the water im sure you seen plenty of videos, use cold warm idgaf whatever you prefer. not above the valve.

Load your coffee in the filter, dont tamp it, just pile that shit high and smooth the excess out with a knife or anything flat. clean the edges.

it goes without saying make sure your moka pot is clean and dry, specially your coffee filter.

here is the most important bit of this whole thing. USE LOW HEAT THE TOTAL PROCESS FROM HEAT TO COFFEE EXTRACTION SHOULD BE AT A MINIMUM OF 12 MINUTES, 15 IS BETTER 12 IS GOOD.

If you get coffee faster than 12, its too fucking hot.

I make waifu-tier coffee from some degenerate coffee making machine and the hyper processed coffee packets it takes

espresso machine and v60

>when you cant hear your petite moka pot gurgle
i've forgotten about it far too many times to half the coffee being boiled away.

if you hear your moka pot gurgle, you burnt your coffee.

A french press because it tastebetter than a drip machine and i usually only drink 2 cups at a time anyways.

Get a 15 dollar french press or youre doing everything wrong.

Takes only a couple minutes to heat up water on the stove, then you can control strength by brew time.

Sooooo good

Thank you so much, just made my first brew. Taste absolutely amazing and I only use the already made grounded coffee.
I think I might invest into getting a coffee grinder and some beans.
What type of coffee beans are out there and which ones are the best?

Aeropress
It sounds like a bad meme but it makes damned good coffee and cleans up easily

>plastic
All metal and glass version when?

a kalita wave

I want to try a moka pot tho

I drink a lot of coffee. The problem these methods face is all the effort that goes into a minuscule amount of coffee. Does anyone use a drip coffee maker and just vastly improve it using freshly ground beans? That would probably be as much as I could take effort wise.

See if you can find a place that does in house roasting nearby. Most of the shit in the grocery store is stable before it even reaches you. Beyond that, you're going to have to figure out what you like, so try different roasts and blends

Literally just set mine for tomorrow morning. Grind up my coffee beans and put them in a single serve drip coffee machine with a programmable brew. French press is for the weekends only

Black with 3 teaspoons of sugar

>single serve
dammit man did you even read what I wrote

Keurig. Come at me Veeky Forumsunts

Tanzanian Peaberry

Moka pot for a strong shot of morning coffee; percolator for a regular mug. Nothing equals the latter, by the way, -- French press sucks ass!

>Nescafe
>Water
>Put in face
Tried loads of others, roasted and ground my own beans, done it all. Nescafe is best coffee.

I use a moka pot at home. But nowhere as much pain in the ass as states.

Morning routine :
>clean the moka pot from the day before (remove coffee from filter, rinse it, no time to dry it)
>load the filter freely, don't care if it's up to the top, I don't smooth the excess cause it makes mess
>put it on fire, very high because I have no time for this shit

I have it within 2 minutes, enough to make the oats and prepare the fruits salad. I do like coffee to be very bitter, so that works for me.

>after pouring coffee into the cup, add some freshwater to the coffee at the end to cool it down

At work, I use a French press as I have only access to an electric kettle.

Instant, with a finger of Philips Gin poured in.

Anybody asks me about the smell, I tell them it's Juniper infused black tea.

>heat up water on the stove

Fucking burgers.

I do the same thing, but with Maple Syrup and Canadian Whiskey.
I call it a Canadian Bootstrap.

make a big pot of drip. pour into individual servings. store in refrigerator. drink with aspartame and vanilla.

nope. If you hear it gurgle, it means that it's ready. source: live in italy

Canadians should stop breeding. Go wither you fucking maple morons.

Everyone uses a different method, the reality of the thing that I have learned is, the moka pot is a pressure cooker.

Your water is going to boil at a lower temperature, if you go full flame on it your coffee powder will cook and so will the coffee when it's on the top chamber and it will taste burnt. By using the lowest possible heat you avoid from instantly charring your grounds and you don't cook it on the top chamber, try using low heat (electric stove 7 on the small cap) and see what you get

>everyone does it so it must be right

Everyone also has their steak well done and complains about how tough and dry it is and they swear they've had well done that wasn't tough or tasty.

If it is gurgling you're gonna get an extremely bitter brew, you can time it and remove the pot from the heat when it's about half way up and it will finish off the heat without you getting the bitterness. At least try it once and see the difference.

I mostly do espresso.

care to make a video of your process?

brown sugar or white sugar in esspresso?

my wife says brown...i say white

>my wife says brown

of course she does, im surprise she aint blacked.

you got nigger dick on your brain buddy.

I was talking about sugar

Sure! I made one a few months back, but I've changed things around since then. Will film one again soon, tonight if I can fit it in.

>I was talking about sugar
Sure sure you were. Normal people don't ask others what kind of sugar to use in their coffee. They try one and try another one, and then decide which one they prefer. Don't pretend you didn't get the answer you were looking for.

Wasn't able to find any but ShopRite was offering a taste test of coffee brew from the beans.
So far my favorite is Hazelnut and I bought a hand crank grinder as well so I can move around while crushing up.

I have one of those machines that uses tiny, expensive single-use pots filled with glorified coffee instant soaked in flavorings.

I'm basically killing myself, my wallet and the planet with each cup I make.

>use cold warm idgaf whatever you prefer
pro tip: use boiling water

Better than microwaving it

Did two takes. One I spill ground coffee all over myself and the floor. One I do it right but stand in the way half the time. I'll post the second. And the first if anyone wants to see it.

Oooo grrrr how agressive

Fucking polesmoker, then you wonder why people claim you're obsessed.

muh nigga

Quick Mill Vetrano 2B and Compak E5.

post em.

i wanna see that machine in use, and i wanna see what exactly do you do with all that gear

miss silvia v3 and a brevile smart grinder pro
wish i could afford a decent quality flat burr grinder

I use a moka pot for old/shitty beans and drink the coffee with a lot of milk and pourover for good beans.

Im drunk and i bought one. Mostly use pour over. Did i get memed?

European here
I heat water on stove, what the fuck is wrong with you?

>coffee

haha, jokes on you, i live in the backwaters of Mississippi and heat it up on some rocks after I blast em with the ol 50 cal.

Here's the video vimeo.com/231787195

I'll upload the fucking up with the coffee grounds the first take too

Here it is vimeo.com/231805944

Thanks for the video, I enjoyed it. If you ever decide to do another video, a voice over or commentary of some kind, explaining what your steps and the thought behind them, would be much appreciated.

Tastes like shit. No idea why it's so popular here.

Thanks user. How long does it take to prepare the machine beforehand?

Bout 10-15min. It's a small machine, so it doesn't take terribly long. In the morning it warms up while I shower.

Not a bad idea.

Finally invested into the roach meme, now reccomend me some beans so I can ascend from preground LavAzza robusta.

>If you get coffee faster than 12, its too fucking hot.
w-what, really? Maybe thats why my coffee has been tasting like ash for the past year

I like french press from time to time, but it is a bit of hassle to clean and maintain without it getting grimy.

Also while its a good strong cup of coffee its not something I want to drink everyday. I still use mine from time to time but usually I just do pour over. Basic and arguably the best way to drink coffee

what kinda grind are you moka users doing?

>be poor student
>own an electric kettle
>put cheap store bought coffee grounds in a mug
>boil water in kettle
>put boiling water in the mug, over the grounds
>let it sit for 5-7 minutes
>use a strainer to remove the solid particles and obtain coffee in another mug
>drink that

How can i improve? I have a very limited budget, almost nonexistant

a V60 size 02 kit is like $30 and will make you some solid pour-over
get a cheap old hand grinder with it and spend everything you can on good beans
then you're set

I'd prefer not to buy anything more, is there any way to improve the coffee making technique? I've heard of cold brew but i did that and it tasted like shit.

well then the most important thing is getting better coffee, find a local roaster that has decent enough pricing to get your stuff fresh and if you have to get it pre-ground then seal it f.e. in a can and put it in the freezer

How much better is freshly ground coffee, compared to store bought coffee?

Thanks dude. Question time.

\What is the spray stuff? Oil? What kind?
I didn't see you put hot water in there, I noticed the steam when you're putting pressure though.
What espresso machine is that?
What the hell kind of grinder is that?
That ring to pour the coffee onto the portafilter did you have that made or did you buy it?
Why aerate the grounds in the portafilter? Because even distribution?
Did I see you premoisten your grounds before putting pressure into it?
What's the copper cup for?

>know how I know you're autistic?
>you got zero environmental noise

thanks mitch.

Buy a proper French Press and keep doing what you do. At least you'll have a quality of life improvement.

>w-what, really? Maybe thats why my coffee has been tasting like ash for the past year

The variations on coffee brewing are so imense that I can't tell you yes or no, maybe you're doing something different each time?

My expriences and trials tell me, stove temperature is the most important thing of it all, there is a lot of misinformation out there when it comes to moka pot, I have actually read a coffee person say that moka pot makes as much pressure as a espresso machine. That is simply ludicrous. In short, try different thigns and find what you can live with.

Try different grinds and different coffees, for a while Bustelo in a can was my go to, then I tried 8oclock and it was actually pretty smooth, lavazza can gold label is awesome, black label is still good, illy can is the motherfucking bomb. (for me)

I have tried, cold water, room temp, boiling water, found no discernible difference in taste, maybe the coffee grinds play a bigger part on that variable because if you have fine coffee, it will take longer to hydrate those beans, cold or hot water won't make much of a difference. Again, expriment.

I have used for years electric stove, moved to europe and have a gas stove, all of the sudden I found my coffee was absolute shit, why? The pot is too fucking hot, it takes it about 3 to 4 minutes to brew and it tasted burnt everytime, I found me a induction plate, was able to increase my time to 7 minutes, and its still burnt but not as bad. I always made it between 12 and 15 minutes on a electric stove and it always came out great in that variable of time, extremely low heat is good. Now why is this?

Its a two chamber pressure coooker, the cooker itself where you pour your water and coffee, and the release valve on the second chamber. You are boiling your water below the boil point, making it pass through your grinds and spew from the valve. You want to boil the water, you don't want to cook your grinds or your coffee.

once i went back to sleep and woke up to find the house filled with smoke and the handle melted

>You want to boil the water, you don't want to cook your grinds or your coffee.

So when you apply high heat to your moka pot, you are also applying very high heat to your coffee grinds for a long period of time more heat than if you were to have lower heat for a longer period of time. You are basically burning that shit again before the water has a chance to pass through.

Then you have the top chamber, its also getting that motherfucking heat, on a high temperature basis, its gonna start boiling up there, ever tasted boiled coffee? Yeah you have because you got high heat on your moka pot, that's why its ashy/bitter/disgusting, that's why cubans grow the motherfucking sugar cane, they didn't think "oh maybe if we didn't burn the fucking coffee we wouldn't need so much god damn sugar".

Be warned, anytime someone puts sugar and creamer on their coffee because "they don't like the taste of black coffee" either they're telling the truth, or they never had good black coffee. That's why starbucks coffee drinks are a thing, they have to cover up for the taste of charred beans with a lot of sugar and dairy, even sewer water will taste fine if you pour in 2/3 sugar and dairy.

So with all this bullshit, what I am telling you is, take your motherfucking time. use low heat, try different methods. do not fucking tamp the motherfucking coffee, it is a pressure cooker, you are getting 1.5psi on that thing not 9 bars.

i buy a fresh, hot, delicious starbucks coffee, size grande - a patrician coffee for people with patrician tastes

infinitely

Just distilled water! Cuts static down to nothing. Fairly common, called Ross Droplet Technique or RDT.

The machine heats it, I think you can kinda read the thermometer for a bit at the beginning.

Strietman CT1 machine and Lyn Weber EG-1 grinder.

Tidaka makes em, sits right on the basket rim, which is nice since some go inside.

Yep! It's another common thing called Weiss Distribution Technique, often shortened to WDT.

I usually do a bit of preinfusion, lets me grind a bit finer and gives a more even extraction imo.

The copper thing is a coffee scoop that I use because it matches my brass and copper machine.

If ya got anything else feel free to ask!

i am greek

I'm looking forward to buy one of these. Loved the ones I had in Europe.

Those are good only for decoration
after a while the copper starts to stink and affects the coffee

moccamaster and juhla mokka

>being slave to the coffee meme
Not even once.

pretty cool stuff.
I want to up my espresso autism by a bit and got a lot of inspiration from your neat yet not overly slow and tedious workflow.
may I ask what's your favorite type of coffee (blend / single origin, washed/monsooned, whatever) you throw in there at the moment and what your workflow in terms of dialing in proper yield, brew ratio and so forth looks like? do you adjust by taste/byproducts or do you go full refractometer?

Thanks!
I tend to like Kenyans and Ethiopian beans a lot. Some natural and honey process Costa Rican beans have been topping the charts for me lately too.

I'll usually just pull a shot with a setting I've used for a similar bean the first time, then go from there. Ratio ends up being anywhere from 1:1 to 1:2 (coffee:water) depending on what I want to highlight. Grind, and time to pull, I adjusts finer until it stops tasting better and starts tasting worse instead. Things like temperature come in as variables only rarely. I do use my refractometer when I'm pushing extraction as far as I can.

1. French press
2. Figure out grounds/water ratio
3. Buy good beans, locally roasted
4. Burr grinder
5. Distilled H2O
6. Therma-Pen instant read thermometer
7. 5 tablespoons of coarsely ground beans for my French press
8. Water heated to 204F
9. Pour over grounds, stir with wooden spoon
10. Cover and wait four minutes
11. Slowly press
12. Pour a cup of coffee, pour the rest into a waiting insulated travel mug

DAMN GOOD COFFEE

Cold brew master race

How does it work?

Don't use distilled water unless you add minerals to it. It can't pull much out of the coffee without the ionization it gets from harder water.

Bought this pour over and chemex filters. Godolike coffee at the cheapest

Is there a way to make good decaf coffee? Im anxiety and caffiene fucks me up too badly, any suggestions?
>inb4 nescafe decaf

Do not stir
Stiring cools the water and creates an under brewed cup
Submerge grounds only.

tim wendelboe recommends stirring for more extraction, but he does that at the end of the brew right before pressing

I use a chemex