How do I cook these bad boys? Do I need to cook them...

How do I cook these bad boys? Do I need to cook them? I have never done canned beans before and they have no instructions.

Canned food never has to be cooked. It is cooked and sterile.

drain and rinse
simmer with some water and tomato paste and spices. Eat with bread, chips, pretzels, whatever.

Any canned food is already cooked. That's why it doesn't rot inside the can. Cooking is part of the canning process.

All you need to do is open the can and you can to town. I'd suggest heating them up and adding some seasoning to make them more tasty though.

Cook up some Caribbean-style yellow rice (using onions, bell peppers, tomatoes, garlic, paprika, annato, chicken stock, and olives). Open up the can of beans, rinse 'em, and mix 'em with the cooked rice. Throw in some bacon or Spanish chorizo if you happen to have that, too.

I just fried some onions, garlic, jalapeno and bell pepper and threw in the beans at the end and served over rice.

Tastes fine to me.

Do you really need to do that?

I just heat them up in the bean juice and eat them with rice.

The rice soaks up the bean juice.

They're fine out of the can, but it doesn't take much to make them better. Fry some diced bell pepper in a little oil until it's soft. Add beans and a little powdered adobo and maybe a a splash of white vinegar. If you don't have adobo you can use a mix of onion powder, garlic powder and a little oregano, or just fry a little onion and garlic with the pepper, then add the beans to that with a pinch of oregano and maybe a little vinegar.

>and rinse

no

Your instincts were spot on. If you want a black bean dish that will blow your mind look up Brazilian feijoada.

>Do you really need to do that?
No, but it will taste a lot better than overcooked can bean juice.

why the fuck would you rinse them, I get draining a little bit but all of the flavor is in the liquid

>but all of the flavor is in the liquid
The flavor of the liquid in commercially canned products ranges from awful to meh. You can do much better by draining it out and replacing it with something different.

Thanks everyone, I plan to have them with rice. Also what type of bean would be best with rice and alfredo sauce and chicken? I have white beans, pinto, and black

That looks delicious, will bookmark. Thanks senpai.

add a can of beans
add some cheese
throw some garlic salt on that shit
microwave and enjoy

you need to drain and wash them VERY well.

The "bean juice" contains a ton of dirt and sodium.

Afterwards, combine them with some yellow rice. Sprinkle shredded cheese or hot sauce on top if you like, and eat them in a bowl or in a burrito.

It's an ultimate poorfag food when you're sick of ramen noodles, and you want 2 days worth of food for like $3

>shredded cheese

>Thanks everyone, I plan to have them with rice
rice is a terrible food. do not eat beans with rice. eat with wheat, not rice.

Nice bait

Why do you think this way senpai

>Sprinkle shredded cheese

flyovers were a mistake

>NY
>Real place
Nice try Jew Yorker

Salt, pepper, a Bayleaf, dice onions.

This guy knows how to eat on the cheap

canned beans have a metallic taste if you don't rinse them. I don't actually eat canned beans, usually. I cook my own beans. I got tons of dry pinto beans, often 100 lbs or more. I eat them every day, with almost every meal. I am, the bean boy.

>saute onion in liberal amounts of lard or bacon fat (3/4+ onion)
>saute garlic (10+ cloves)
>add beans (2 cans) plus liquid of one can (reserve rest of liquid)
>add chicken stock
>paprika, cumin, cayenne, not too much salt since beans are canned
>mash and cook, mash and cook
>taste, season more if need be
>serve with rice (and meat and cheese if available) in a wrap or dip with chips

try using dry beans instead of canned, you get more beans price-wise and better control of flavor.

Add them to a pan of already cooked scrambled eggs and heat them up a bit. Godly breakfast

Olive oil in pan.
Sautée some diced onion and green pepper until tender.
Sautée deli ham until you can smell it.
Sautée garlic until brown and fragrant.
Add 1/2 teaspoon tomato paste and half tablespoon of oregano.
Sautée.
Add can of beans without the bean juice.
Stir the combine.
Add chicken or beef broth. Enough to just cover the beans.
Toss in teaspoon of cumin, and 1/4 teaspoon paprika.
1/2 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar.
2 bay leaves.
Stir.
Cover with lid and let cook for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally on medium-medium-low.
Uncover for 15 minutes at same temperature, stirring every few minutes.
Serve on/with rice.

How do you cook them? In a pressure cooker?

>How do you cook them? In a pressure cooker?
yes.

That's a good way to go, beans are ridiculously nutritious and healthy, especially for the price and convenience. It's almost like cheating at nutrition.

Could you elaborate on your specific way of going about it?

Getting homecooked beans right can be tricky desu.

I'm not the person you're replying to, but I find them to be very easy. Here's what I do:

-soak dry beans overnight in water. The next day discard the rinse water.
-put the dry beans and some aromatic vegetables in a pot. I change up the veggies depending on what kind of dish I'm shooting for, but basic mirepoix works great for most things.
-Pour in homemade stock
-Add a cured or smoked pork product, like smoked hocks, a ham bone, a chunk of country ham, etc.
-Simmer until the beans are tender, taste and adjust seasoning.

You can do the same thing with a pressure cooker or an open pot. Only difference is that the pressure cooker takes about 1/3 the time (roughly).

This is one of those situations where using good homemade stock kicks the shit out of any alternative. There's a reason why making stock is one of the first things taught in any cooking school.

>Add 1/2 teaspoon tomato paste and half tablespoon of oregano.
Uhmmm...

That's sounds very elaborate for a pleb like my desu.

How do you store the beans? Do you keep them in the liquid or do you drain?

>canned beans have a metallic taste
Most folks are so used to that taste they just assume that's what beans taste like. You'd only notice it if you get away from eating canned beans. I switched over to dried beans (with a pressure cooker) years ago, and haven't looked back.

>Could you elaborate on your specific way of going about cooking beans in a pressure cooker?
1. blanch dried beans in boiling water for 2 minutes or so. This softens the skins, and helps the beans soak better, I guess.
2. rinse a couple times in cold water to cool them down, and then let soak in cool water in a coolish spot for 12 hours in salted water. I use 1 heaping tsp of salt.
3. rinse and put in pressure cooker. fill it up so water covers beans, but no more. Add some oil and some salt and oil the rim of the pressure cooker so the top slides on and off easy.
4. bring up to pressure on medium high heat... I use a flat electric range, so I use the 6 setting on a 1-10 range.
5. when it reaches pressure, pressure cook for 1 minute, then take it off the heat and let the pressure cooker depressurize on its own.
6. when it is depressurized, open PC and check beans, if they aren't done, let them simmer for a little longer. If they're really not done at all, then you might have to pc them more than 1 minute, you'll have to figure this out. But with this method, the beans come out great for me.
7. I then strain and rinse beans in a colander, and spoon them into mason jars, which go in the fridge. Good for a week. You don't have to do this part if you have other plans.

>That's sounds very elaborate for a pleb like my desu.
Elaborate? Lol. Soak beans overnight. Dump beans and tasty stuff into a pot. Simmer until it's done. It doesn't get much easier than that.

>>store the beans
I'm not sure what you mean. The dry beans stay in the sack that they came in at the store. When I soak them I put the beans in whatever random container I have around--a pot, mixing bowl, whatever. They stay in that pot, submerged in water, until I cook them the next day. It just sits out on the counter. After I cook the beans I put any leftovers in tupperware and stick 'em in the fridge.

>1. blanch dried beans in boiling water for 2 minutes or so. This softens the skins, and helps the beans soak better, I guess.

You can skip this step. You're soaking overnight so it's a total waste of time/effort.

If you use a pressure cooker you don't need the overnight soak, even for larger beans like chickpeas and kidney beans. Just bring them to a boil and let them sit in the hot water for an hour. Then half an hour or so in the pressure cooker ought to do the trick.

I've prepared beans all sorts of ways. blanching helps a lot. I would have to put much more salt in the soaking water if I did not blanch them. The beans also just soak more completely when I blanch them first.

I know this is commonly posted, and you're right, you don't NEED to do the overnight soak, but I do so anyway, even if I'm using the pressure cooker.

Soaking has two important benefits:
1) Soaking and discarding the rinse water gets rid of many of the chemicals present in the beans which cause flatulence.
2) It takes longer for a bean to hydrate than it does for it to cook. A pressure cooker might make it practical to cook un-soaked beans in a short period of time, but that doesn't address the mismatch between hydrating and cooking time.

>blanching helps a lot.

Helps what a lot, exactly? If you're soaking overnight AND using a pressure cooker I can't imagine there would be any lack of hydration.

Blanching softens the skins of the beans and preps the beans to be soaked. If the skins are not softened, the beans could burst open when fully soaked, and that is bad. I've found I get more consistent results when I blanch and soak.

>Blanching softens the skins of the beans and preps the beans to be soaked
Putting beans in water prepares them for putting them in water?

>> If the skins are not softened, the beans could burst open when fully soaked
I've never had that happen when soaking beans overnight. Not even once.

>> I've found I get more consistent results when I blanch and soak.
Consistency in what? Texture? Flavor? You seem to be having a hard time articulating exactly what you mean.

Always sort beans for rocks too.
use a white plate.

Just try it my way and see for yourself, nutjob.

>After I cook the beans I put any leftovers in tupperware and stick 'em in the fridge.
I mean do you put them in the fridge submerged in cooking liquid or do you strain that off?