Tip or no tips?

>live in a town with a lot of old, fairly wealthy white people
>as such there are mostly chain restaurants around
>only one restaurant that's actually decent
>Thai place
>regularly go there with gf
>she's one of those women are equal types, tries to pay for meals sometimes
>she's polite to a fault so rather than a 10 minute back and forth I usually just let her get the tip for both of us or something (we split the bill because I'm poor)
>today our server literally ran out of the restaurant and shouted "EXCUSE ME" and tried to ask why I don't tip
>explained that my gf tips for the whole bill usually so that's why I don't tip
>pretty pissed off

Should I go back? It's not like we were screwing him out of a tip or anything, she always tips 20% of the total bill.
Also tipping thread
Pic related

how much did your gf tip?

The bill was $34 total, she tipped 7

lol u asked him draw a dick in your cappuccino?

No tip, that guy is a greedy shithead.

go back and if you get the same server tip him 0 to 10 percent only

i'v never been to a place where a tip is required or was pressed to tip, so this is all very strange, i would have even told him of for chasing asking for money you're not obligated to give him.

>modern tipping etiquette is 20% from each person in party
>party of 5 means waitress gets matched 100% of the total bill

In some restaurants, if the server is the same person who's seating you, they'll outright refuse service if you're dining alone because you won't be tipping as much as a party of 5 or more.
Is it entirely reddit that has contributed to this insane culture of entitlement?
They like to use colorful language like "abusive" when you tip anything less than 20%, and they insist you should tip even if you were treated like a second class citizen by your waitress.

So your gf left a tip but you didn't, and he ran out to ask why you specifically didn't leave one? That's pretty bizarre
Thats bullshit but I believe it

If you've ever worked in a restaurant you know that it's not at all normal for party of 5 to tip 100 percent. assuming a bill of 20 dollars a person the server should get 100 dollars for 5 people?? that's a fucking unicorn

>In some restaurants, if the server is the same person who's seating you, they'll outright refuse service if you're dining alone because you won't be tipping as much as a party of 5 or more.

I would love to see a non-autistic place d that. The industry is savage enough already, I can't see how any owner who wants to make it let their shit staff pull such a thing.

No one is going to refuse you service

Go back and tip with a rip

None of this happens you memester.

American tipping culture is weird.

bro wtf? if she gets one more table within the hour, with maybe a $3-$4 tip, she'll be well past minimum wage for most, if not all states, and honestly, thats pretty fucking good for bringing a plate to you.

she's just gotten entitled, accustomed, "used to," fatter tips. dumb broad.

I've decided not to go back there. The lady server I liked left anyways, I'll find a new restaurant to go to.

I wouldn't go back either, though I would've gone back in to tell the owner his shithead server followed me outside

>today our server literally ran out of the restaurant and shouted "EXCUSE ME" and tried to ask why I don't tip
That sounds like complete bullshit. That would be rude as fuck. I was a waiter for a brief period during college and if I would have done something like that I know I would have immediately gotten fired.

SO they admit that serving more food isnt actually harder labor & that tipping based on check total is retarded?

should you tip for ubereats?

I'm pretty sure that waiter is banging the head waitress/manager lady

Why in the fuck is this a news article?
Why the fuck do you still tip?
What the fuck is wrong with your country?

>bitches about a 7$ tip
>Moat i got was 5$ and we are supposedly a 5 star restaurant

Do Americans really do this??? Wtf

I just don't get American tipping culture. I sometimes visit the US to buy certain things as I live fairly close, guess I'll have to avoid restaurants since my tipping culture differs. Who knows? Maybe these cunts already messed with my food in the past and I hardly noticed.

This story makes no sense. If your gf tipped the bill then why would the waiter be annoyed? It's not like he can tell who the one leaving the tip was. Each person is not required to leave an individual tip.

If I ever went to the US, I would never tip anyone. Since I'm wouldn't be likely to ever visit the same restaurant twice it would never be a problem. Those faggot waiters can eat shit for all I care, if they don't even have the sense to demand a decent salary.

Maybe he thought you were not happy with service or food and that's why you didn't tip and wanted to find out what they can do better?

They really probably won't care, contrary to every Veeky Forums horror story you've read. It's not much of a statement euro/leafanon.

>In some restaurants, if the server is the same person who's seating you, they'll outright refuse service if you're dining alone because you won't be tipping as much as a party of 5 or more.
In what sick, jewified country do you live in?

> leafanon
I'd argue leaf tipping culture is even worse, because servers make the same wage as everyone else here (sometimes higher) but still demand the same 20-30% tip as they would if they made below minimum wage.

I've had friends here get kicked out of restaurants by the management for not tipping enough

Restaurants have been mistreating singles since restaurants first came into existence, you retard. It's frustrating because I am one, but then posts like yours remind me of why. We all give off a weird loner stink that causes normies to feel ill. I tip the correct amount but I'm certain there is something else overtly wrong with me that, just as you're oblivious to your tipping misbehavior, I'm probably perfectly oblivious to even though everyone else notices immediately
>Is it entirely reddit that has contributed to this insane culture of entitlement?
Yes, a website that has been around longer than you've been alive is why the world is different than you would like it to be. Jesus christ do you even listen to yourself?

>I've had friends here get kicked out of restaurants by the management for not tipping enough
This is a troll post but I'll feed you.

How do you imagine that works, given that tipping happens at the end of the meal and the amount is usually not evident until the person has already left?

Management pulled them aside and told them they aren't welcome to return

Things that didn't happen: the post

Management isn't going to give a shit about how much you tip as long as you pay the bill. The only ones that get pissed off about tips are the waiters. If your sperg friends got banned it was probably because they were doing other autistic shit in addition to not tipping.

Feels good not living in a jewish cucked country. We never tip anyone, and if we do it's just because we really liked the food/waiter/atmosphere, and the tip is always fixed (a couple euros, not shitty percentage that gets higher the more you already paid) and cumulative for the table (a table of 10 people should give an additional 200% of the bill as a tip? lol).
Remember amerifucks, tipping is facultative, the customer owes you NOTHING, and if you rely on tips to integrate your shitty salary maybe you should consider fighting for a higher salary.

I'd emigrate, stop eating at anything but fast food joints, or never eat at the same restaurant twice if I had to deal with US tipping.

Tip optional; I'm british.

Also? If you can't afford the customary tip, you can't afford to eat there.

>Restaurants have been mistreating singles since restaurants first came into existence
Maybe in america.

Here in britain, they're happy to have a paying customer, especially for a smaller restaurant and at a non-rush time. Even during a rush, they can usually fit another person in at the counter.

>>modern tipping etiquette is 20% from each person in party
The number of parties increases the total bill, meaning the tip will be proportionate if you tip 20% of the total bill. Increasing the % based on the number of people is bullshit.

>counter
Nice try.

You should have made fun of him for thinking that it wasn't the tip for whole table and that he actually thought someone would tip 40% for bringing plate, then make him be grateful that you even acknowledge his existence.
That may be rude but not as much as running of to as customers because you didn't game him magic money for doing the actual less fucking demanding job in the entire restaurant.

nah, if they follow you to your car, just grab some change from the bill and throw them at their feet and watch them get steaming mad
If they lay a finger on you, you can get them fired.

I forgot to tip the bartender the other week, and one of her friends literally came up and threatened me. One of the most surreal experiences of my life.

This american tipping culture makes no sense to me. You guys always say they get paid less than minimum wage and the tip is supposed to cover that, fair enough, then how much do they make and what is minimum wage? Here in euro minimum wage for someone like 20yo is like 7eur/hr. Then you say you tipped 7 dollar lets say you were eating for an hour so she made more than the minimum wage for a 20 year old and thats excluding her actual wage. Then she can serve multiple tables at once. She must be making like 15-30/hr depending on how many customers there are.
Am I spewing bullshit here or are waiters a bunch of entitled children?

Waiters make much better than minimum wage thanks to tip, yes. That's why they have a lower minimum wage than other professions, and no one ever pushes that hard to change that.

I usually tip 20% for bartenders and then round it up. Not to shit on waiters, but bartenders do way more for me, so I tip accordingly. I interact with them more, they take my orders, they actually get my drinks ready and also serve me the food. And unless it's some snotty fucking cunt, they're way more personable.

Minimum wage can vary by state. There is a nationally mandated minimum of $7.25 per hour for regular employees or $2.13 per hour for tipped employees. States are free to set higher wages if they choose but not all of them do.

generally, yes, wait staff make around 15-30 per hour when actually waiting tables
consider you only get 3-4 tables during peak hours
typically between 5-8pm
you also either are required to clean your own tables or you pass a percentage of your own tips to the cleaning person
and you are also typically required to help either ready the restaurant for the day or close
things like cleaning/wrapping silverware

plus you don't typically work 40hrs a week