How long do you have to cook a sauce for to get a good meld of flavors or is it better to leave it in the fridge...

How long do you have to cook a sauce for to get a good meld of flavors or is it better to leave it in the fridge overnight?

I've heard people say they cook their tomato sauce for five hours. I never cooked one for that long unless it was starting with fresh tomatoes, but still tomato sauce and curries and the like always seem better the day after. Last night i made a pasta sauce that was pretty good but not great and today it's amazing. Should I just start cooking my sauces the night before? Or do I just need to cook them longer, like start them in the morning?

Other urls found in this thread:

food.oakmonster.com/2011/11/ragu-napoletano.html
dailymotion.com/video/x2iiu5d
google.com/search?q=stroke symptoms
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>five hours
that's not necessary, even if using fresh tomatoes. an hour tops, and then just use a stick blender.

I'm not sure you can group all sauces together like this. Some sauces could benefit from a long cooking time, others might not.

The longer you cook the more time there is for flavors to be extracted from thicker/tougher ingredients. That's usually a good thing. It also breaks down the texture of both meat and vegetable ingredients. That could be good or bad depending on what you want--a nice tender stew is a good thing. But vegetables that fall apart and turn to mush are not. Also, the longer you cook something the more time there is for some of the volatile comounds which add flavor to evaporate out. That can harm the taste of your stew/chili/curry/etc.

I'd say there is no single one-size-fits-all answer. It all depends on what you're cooking and what texture you're shooting for.

>Want tomato sauce on my pasta.
>Put tomato in pan.
>Sauté for 10 minutes
>Squash with potato masher.
I'm not sure where the 5 hours of cooking thing came from. It seems perfectly fine like this.

Time is a magic ingredient for some foods. I've seen Italians make sauce for hours, and it's godly. Sure, you can make a tomato sauce in 10 minutes but it's not going to be the same as one that's had a chance for the aromatic flavors to improve. I think OP just wants to know if it's a long cooking time or the refrigeration time that's responsible.

Personally I couldn't be buggered to make sauces a day ahead, OP. The morning idea is a good one if you have the time. Then you can refrigerate it and heat it before serving.

It's up to you, really.

Heat and time work on the ingredients in ways only heat and time can, and different heat and time levels have different effects. That's why there's a difference between sweated onion and a caramelized onion, and why you have to wait for bread to rise.

Just start your sauce in the morning, put it on a low heat, and let it simmer until you're ready
for it in the evening. Then cool it, put it in the fridge or freezer, and it'll be even better the next
time you have it.

If you're only going to make enough sauce for a plate or two, then just make it in a pan and only let it simmer for about an hour, but if you're making a big batch, then do it right and give
it the time it needs to fully develop.

That's just not fucking true. You need at least 4 hours to get the rich sweetness for a real Ragu. Have you ever under roasted garlic? That's the same shit, you end up with 'green' flavours.

food.oakmonster.com/2011/11/ragu-napoletano.html

If we're talking tomatoes it's either a short time like 10 minutes to keep raw tomato flavour when starting with fresh tomatoes or hours to develop complex flavours if you're gonna preserve for months (you lose the fresh taste anyway)

You don't 'preserve it for months' you serve it on the weekend ffs. You need to generate complex sugars in your cunting carbohydrates from a shitting fucking red plant. That's why you ROAST ANYTHING. jesus.

It's like trying to communicate with parsley.

Every single one of you needs to learn how 'stewing' works.

Maybe you'll figure it out from your french cousins.

dailymotion.com/video/x2iiu5d

>canning doesn't exist

Did you read the first line of the first post? That's not canning tomatoes, that's making sauce. Savvy?

user just sucks at sentence structure.
>savvy
Oh god, please go you larping faggot

You just typed 'sentence structure' online. Are you fucking autistic? I'm talking about real world food. And you've turned into johnny 'tendies'. Just don't do that in public, man.

Are you even paying attention? Uncooked canned tomatoes aren't a sauce. DO you even register that in your fucked up day?

>well la di da einstein! we don't take kindly to them high falutin phrases around these parts boy

I just feel sorry for people that have lost their reading comprehension from living in the rural south, or places that can't educate their humans for shit. That ends up making them crippled in almost every facet of life including cooking. They don't understand sauce or stock being two different things. They basically gimps. You talk to them if you feel sorry for them.

Sorry, I forgot to mention, you have my attention because I'm sitting here watching Deadpool. So continue your shit so I can have someone to type to.

You done playing, hun? I don't want to keep refreshing if you've decided to go fuck your sister. I'm here for you.

WRONG. On a low heat with fresh tomatoes you need to cook for a minimum of 3.5 hours, preferably more like 7. That's why you start it in the morning.

Totes. Do what you do. Enjoy your thin garbage.

How bad is your self esteem that you have to samefag 3x on inane Veeky Forums banter, cleetus?

Someone probably showed you those slow cookers that people have. Those slow cookers were created from the genesis of ragu. That is the ultimate of slow cooking sauces. Go google it and you'll figure it out eventually.

Dude, I'm watching a movie, I'm bored, and I like teasing idiots. It's not about my self worth. I just love hating on idiots. It's probably a vice. But I like assholes to know they're assholes.

>They basically gimps.
Fucking niggers.
Go and spread your Ebonics bullshit elsewhere.

What do you want me to do today, It's Saturday. I just finished playing Sudden Strike 4, I don't feel like playing Cold Waters. I cooked 30 Lamb Beef gyro meat balls last night and 12 skinless boneless breasts for a bunch of different uses.

Should I feel bad? Sorry, I just love talking to you stupid assholes.

>only two
Are you ok? Did something happen?

Yeah, something happened. Get a grip. You're like trying to talk to bread, aren't you?

google.com/search?q=stroke symptoms

Find a phone and dial 9-1-1

You won. You're the dumbest asshole.

>Cooking longer makes it thinner
Are you fucking high?

Use a food mill instead of a stick blender. It's the patrician tomato sauce tool.

>cleetus

You know the Simpsons isn't real, right?

Millennial detected

"Cleetus" as a joke name for dumb hillbillies originated with the Dukes of Hazzard

That was a TV show that stopped airing before you were born

Nobody ever uses "Cleetus" except foreign Veeky Forums tards' that get their cultural information from TV.

It would be like thinking calling a britfag "Lancelot" or "Gallahad" would be a "sick burn".

>It would be like thinking calling a britfag "Lancelot" or "Gallahad" would be a "sick burn".
I like this idea and I'm going to start doing this.

I'll never understand why people would make their own sauces

Imagine you've never cooked anything in your life, only eaten out of boxes.

Now imagine you watch a few episodes of Alton Brown and decide you'll give this a shot.

You simmer some tomatoes with olive oil and so on, and holy shit you didn't die! It tastes a bit like the $0.99 walmart Great Value brand tomato sauce with a Victor Hugo novel's worth of ingredients, except less artificial!

Now, imagine how proud you'd be. You'd go straight to Veeky Forums and boast about how you're a real five star chef now just like Chef John of the Youtube. Anyone who buys stuff from a jar is a stupid sheeple because you can't even tell what they put in it!? Reading is for the cucks.

The beginning of a brilliant meme.

>Get back to us when you get off mummi's tit and leave your counsel housing, Percivel.

How's that?

Holy fuck, white amerilards so assblasted by the fact that the Cletus stereotype is real. It's like a nignog complaining of fried chicken and loud talking stereotypes.

Sure, Gallahad.

Sure.

So, is /pol/ slow tonight or something?

Yeah, Mattis took away drumpf's tablet so he can't twitter and substituted a pacifier. All the same.

I was talking about tomato sauce, you mongrels.

Use a pressure cooker and cook it for 20 min, then blend it, then 20 min more.

>blending your tomato sauce
just kill yourself

Don't worry about him, it's not a stroke, Deadpool fans are just retarded

8 hours in a slow cooker, easy as fuck and tasty as fuck. I'm just finishing a nice 8 hour tomato beef sauce actually, gonna put it on pasta shells.

Timing stews is a big thing. You want to boil the meat tender, but don't want mushy veggies.

That's the beauty of SAUCE over SOUP. Cooking the ever loving shitfuck out of everything in it is basically the point.