I've never heard of a single incident of someone getting poisoned or sick because they ate fish too many times in one...

I've never heard of a single incident of someone getting poisoned or sick because they ate fish too many times in one week.

Is mercury poisoning just a meme? I mean there are literally millions of people on earth who JUST eat fish every single day and every single meal.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-P2Ckm9uHzM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Because no one is stupid enough to do it, and it's eating cans every day for some months before you get terminal.

It's a classic case of people overreacting.

Scientist: >>we found that if you eat an excessive amount, every day, of certain fish then there is a slightly elevated risk for heavy metal poisoning

Sheeple: >>ZOMG! No fish EVER again! I'm gonna die if I eat a single sardine!

>>I mean there are literally millions of people on earth who JUST eat fish every single day and every single meal.
That seems like a massive exaggeration to me, but remember that what matters a great deal is what kind of fish is being eaten. Small fish have a very low concentration of toxins within. The risk goes up as you go higher up the food chain. Fish which eat other fish and grow to older age accumulate more heavy metals. So, say, a big fucking tuna is a lot more risky than eating some sardines.

Jeremy Piven got it from eating sushi every day.

>meme
What do you actually think that word means, user?

As much as I hate the misuse of the term meme, OP's not that far off here.

A meme is an idea that spreads via social behavior. And the "idea" that ZOMG fish is deadly toxin!!?!?! as described by is certainly a thing that is spread among people.

i guy at my work unironically said "me me" the other day

So is herpes.
Mercury poisoning isn't a meme, it's a medical condition.

herpes is a virus user, not an idea

this myth is spammed on reddit which is enough for me to not take it seriously

he got it from eating stuff that came directly from china every day, multiple times per day. american fish comes from first world countries

I eat 2-3 cans of 'dines per day, am I at risk?

note, I NEVER eat tuna, the nigger of the sea..

Herpes is a disease, not an idea.

>>Mercury poisoning isn't a meme, it's a medical condition.
Indeed. It's not the medical condition that's the meme, it's the commonly held fear and overreaction that is.

>not eating the niggers of the sea
get the ever loving fuck out, you double nigger

>not eating two cans of tuna (280 calories) with one tablespoon of miracle whip (20 calories) for a healthy and delicious high-protein, low-calorie but filling food.

delicious my ass.

Raw tuna is god tier, but the moment it gets canned it turns into some kind of disgusting waste product. Smells like cheap cat food.

all they do is poach it you stupid american fuck

Mercury intake should be minimized because mercury is toxic to various organs, leading to health problems long-term. It is chronic toxicity. It is not possible to achieve acute mercury poisoning from fish consumption nor has such a thing ever been claimed.

>nor has such a thing ever been claimed by an actual scientist

Fixed

No. Sardines and other fishes lower in the food chain don't bioaccumulate mercury as much as predator fish like tuna do.
Afaik restrictions are mostly for tuna, swordfish, shark, etc.

youtube.com/watch?v=-P2Ckm9uHzM

The people most at risk for mercury poisoning from fish are the elderly, the very young and pregnant women.

If you're a normal, healthy teenager or adult you're unlikely to develop mercury poisoning from eating fish unless you eat stupidly excessive amounts.