Food myths

Bonus points if it's something that professional chefs still repeat.

>you shouldn't salt eggs before cooking
>use a big pot of water when cooking pasta so it returns to the boil faster
>add oil to butter to stop it burning
>searing meat seals the juices in
>the alcohol all cooks off
>avoid cured meat because of the nitrates
>throw out any mussels that don't open
>raw vegetables are more nutritious

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/g28-9NVUHj0
jonathanmortensen.com/publications/Capsaicin.pdf#page=10
seriouseats.com/2010/10/the-food-labs-top-6-food-myths.html
youtu.be/MiNw8bm2gww?t=2382
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

how retarded are you? the big pot for pasta is so that it doesnt over flow when it foams

most of the alcohol does burn off when you cook it because of its low boiling point

eat mussels that dont open and see what happens to you

raw veggies are more nutritious than grilled, steamed are the most nutritious way to cook veggies

kill yourself

I've been eating the mussels that don't open for years now and they've all been fine. Haven't gotten sick once

just stfu

Keep your peanut butter refrigerated or the warmer temperatures will create the right conditions for new life to form.

>alchohol doesn't evaporate when heated
Retard.

nice b8

Is this bait?

being so wrong on so many things

This is actually some good bait
The alcohol one gave it away though

he never said otherwise

It's fun to play retard I guess. You're not teaching anyone anything, tard.

>stale bread goes hard because it dries out
>removing the seeds makes chillies less hot
>braised meat can't get dry
>food fried at a high enough temperature absorbs less oil

>bait

Actually microwaving is better than steaming

>salting beans makes them tough
>you can't add water to melted chocolate
>lard is less healthy than butter
>marinades penetrate meat

>Food myths
at least half of those are true

Some of those points are okay but others...

>add oil to butter to stop it burning
I've tried this one myself and it's true. It takes a noticeably higher heat and longer cook time for the butter to burn if you add a bit of oil to it as opposed to leaving the butter by itself.

>the alcohol all cooks off
It does though, unless you're the kind of idiot who serves it immediately before reducing.

>avoid cured meat because of the nitrates
>throw out any mussels that don't open
I'm not gonna tell you how to live your life bro but you really should avoid consuming these things.
Why would you want to risk eating a mussel that's been dead for too long?

>raw vegetables are more nutritious
They are. The reason why we cook them is to make them easier to digest.

>can't use soap in cast iron pans

I know, I believed the butter thing too, but the milk solids still burn at the exact same temperature, the impression that oil helps might be because you've got more mass to heat.

Alcohol takes hours to cook out (think of boiling water, it doesn't disappear in minutes), and the mussel thing I think is people getting confused with not eating mussels that don't close.

The other things are arguable. If you want to avoid nitrates, people get more from vegetables than from cured meats, and cooking breaks down vitamin c but also makes several antioxidants much more available. Most papers I've seen suggest the trade off is in favour of cooked vegetables.

>but the milk solids still burn at the exact same temperature

I know what the milk solids are and they didn't burn, honest truth. I was cooking beef liver last night and noticed this.

Vegetables have antioxidants that inhibit nitrosamine formation and cured meats do not unless the processor adds them artificially, usually in the form of vitamin c powder. It's not apples to apples. Cured meat consumption by far and away contributes more to gastric cancer rates then vegetable consumption.

Sure, but that's because you've got food in the pan that stops the temperature getting high enough to burn the butter, you'd have gotten the same result with pure butter. Get oil and butter up to butter's smoke point and it'll smoke.

>temperature getting high enough
But the butter burned at the same temp I was cooking at before I started to add some oil.

>Get the fuck in here, peel some carrots, and wash those goddamn dishes.

Adding more mass dropped the temperature, get it back up and the butter will burn again. Try sticking a dish of butter and a dish of butter mixed with oil in the oven, they'll smoke at the same temperature.

>Adding more mass dropped the temperature

I don't think that's it because I cooked the liver for 9-10 minutes on the same temp.

In the past I cooked liver with just butter and it would burn pretty quick.
When I did the same thing but added less butter in lieu of oil, same mass, it didn't.

Maybe you just didn't notice it burning because there was less butter? I've seen an experiment with butter and oil alone that has it smoking at the exact same temperature, and it makes sense because there's no chemical interaction with the oil that would affect the solids.

Maybe, idk, tasted bretty gud tho. I wouldn't go back to using straight butter.

Do you have and sources in the pepper and fried food claims?

>You should only flip a steak once.

Tonight on "Racing Hell" Celebrity Chef Ramsay tears apart the racing techniques of twenty world-class Formula 1 drivers. Sit back and enjoy as he hollers obscenities at them and builds them back up to be the champions they can be.

>the alchohol ALL cooks off

wrong, idiot. maybe don't add an opinion that doesn't directly challenge the statement

>can't add water to melted chocolate

this one's legit, water makes chocolate seize up and go out of temper like nothing else

t. chocolatier

I'm not going to find the source now, but I've seen a recipe that involves just adding hot water straight to chocolate.

it's vinegar that makes beans go hard in my experience.

You get any water in melted chocolate and it turns to shit

idiot

microwaving is steaming retard.

Water + chocolate:
youtu.be/g28-9NVUHj0
From ginger Blumenthal.

The capsaicin is in the pith, rather than the seeds: jonathanmortensen.com/publications/Capsaicin.pdf#page=10

I'm trying to find a paper that isn't behind a $60 paywall, but if you trust serious eats: seriouseats.com/2010/10/the-food-labs-top-6-food-myths.html

The basic gist is most of the absorption happens after you take it out of the fryer, as the oil on the surface gets pulled into the space left by the water, and the hotter the oil was the more gets absorbed.

>don't put olive oil into the pasta water

It actually becomes concentrated

Isn't Ramsay actually a pretty good driver? I'd watch it.

Yeah hes a former soccer expert, formula 1 driver, licensed pilot, certified skydive instructor, national geographic photography certified instructor, and fluent in 6 languages

>mussels
youtu.be/MiNw8bm2gww?t=2382

What a guy.

So you should?

What did you mean by that

About the most accurate vegetable cooking guide I've seen.

Ill add though that eating vegetables cooked or raw, even if it's the less nutritious form, is still better then not eating it at all

>>removing the seeds makes chillies less hot
ALL peppers less hot

I don't give my cat cured meat because of the nitrates. I'd be surprised if avoiding cured meats was worth the suffering for a human though.

The joke here is that there aren't 20 world-class F1 drivers, right?

>>searing meat seals the juices in

I've heard this from many people, from prof chefs to ''bbq masters''.

Is it true? like, "scientifically" proven?

>use big pot of water for pasta for quick boil
I don't understand this?

Frozen vegetables are more nutritious. Because they are frozen start after being picked. The long they're bare to the elements the more their nutritional value is lost

>use a big pot of water when cooking pasta so it returns to the boil faster
A large volume of water (higher ratio of water to pasta) has more thermal energy stored in it compared to less water so this is true you idiot

It might be a significant amount of water,but I'm not that guy. and I've made the mistake of trying to help melting chocolate along with a little bit of liquid and it just turned into a clump

bigger issue was I was trying to melt it over too high of a heat to begin with, which also causes it to seize. Chocolate is a bitch desu

.22lr bounces around in the skull

You need to add the same amount of energy no matter the volume of water. A larger pot might drop in temperature less, but there's extra mass of water to heat. Larger pots also lose heat faster, so it's actually the smaller pot that tends to return to the boil first.

it's been scientifically proven to not happen

Are you serious or just fucking with me?