Saturday Stockday

Making stock and preparing chicken for the grill. What you dudes up to?

Also seasoning my wok again because I let it sit with food for a week.

I scrubbed with brillo to baseline and lightly coated with some oil. It was completely dried over high heat first. Just heat it super hot and let it go

I went shopping today as well.

Two chickens, 9.1 lbs for $4.46

I made some bread earlier and roasted some garden acorn squash, summer squash and japanese eggplant while the oven was preheating. I'll fry a few chicken legs in a bit and make some mashed potatoes to go with it all. Sounds like a big meal but our power was out all day yesterday so I didn't want to open my fridge or freezer and only ate some sardines, crackers and popcorn.

So I'm making triple play chicken. It's just bbq chicken.
Here is the sauce I plan on brushing on.
1 can tomato paste, with water, to 2 cups. Added salt and sugar to make it almost ketchupy
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 cup sprite
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 tbsp whole grain mustard

Take a medium saucepan and some eeov and sautee some minced onion and garlic, add all that shit from before, cook until thickish

I took a shit load of thighs and let them sit at room temp for about an hour.
The rub is just smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt, pepper and lemon zest. Rub it in a bit and let the chicken sit for a while.

Grill lighting. Got a huge chimney of briquettes.

We're using the MIT guide to lock picking to start our grill tonight

All this stock talk makes me want to go buy some bones from H Mart to start a pho broth.

damn that's a hearty stock!

So grill is set up like so. Two direct heat cooking areas and a large indirect heat area

Chicken is loaded up!!!

Keep em comin, op.
Very good work you're doing here.

Chicken is sauced up and on indirect heat

Almost done!!!

Dats a lot of food

We eating! Wew lads

looks good, how many are you cooking for?

>>>
> Anonymous 09/03/17(Sun)07:44:09 No.9378355▶
>File: 15043958255421594315960.jpg (1.47 MB, 2560x1280)
>We eating! Wew lads

why plastic plate man fuck

nice

Steak and eggs

Stock is almost done.

Almost forgot to start on my stock. Thanks, OP

Freezer with stock

How much do you reduce the stock?

Initial stock was a bag of bones and veggie cuts, added water to fill a 3 gallon pot. Medium boil for a few hours, KKK Let it reduce and added the rib cages from the split chicken breasts I made into things.
It cooks for ~5 hrs.
I stopped it while I grilled. I boiled without a cover to let it reduce.

Now I know why you wanna hate me.

Are you...keeping stock in those empty baby food jars, or is the stock in that random purple top tupperware? Or is it in those ziplock bags?
Nobody can tell because of all the frosted junk you have crammed in there.
>all those frozen hot dogs

nice use of direct/indirect heat user

Good thread.

going to my mothers house for dinner tonight. apparently she is making quail which ive never had so not sure what to expect

How would you go about using that stock? Would you sit the jar in hot water?

The fuck? Ball Park Angus beef franks only .99? Those fuckers go for like $5.99 at Stop N Shop!

I'm baking some chicken and going to make some mac & cheese to go with it. Sitting here drinking a beer.

I'm not the person you're replying to but yeah, you could do that. What I normally do is keep my stock in vacuum bags. Since they're in a "flat" shape they thaw very quickly. I've also frozen it in plastic "tupperware" containers. Those are less likely to shatter in the freezer than glass. And because they're wider at the mouth than at the bottom you can easily pop out the frozen block of stock directly into a saucepan.

Yeah I was a bit sceptical about the glass. The Tupperware container is a good idea though thanks

Gonna do a few racks of ribs today