When tomatoes are $0.31 per pound

>when tomatoes are $0.31 per pound

What are your plans for them?

>peak tomato overdose season
>by the second week of september you're almost disgusted by the sight of tomatoes
>fast forward to march and you'll literally suck an AIDS cock just for one fresh late summer tomato
Why can't we just have all the seasons at once, it would be a lot less confusing

canning

>something is on sale
>buy more of it than you need and end up spending more money than you would have otherwise

just poor people things

Tomatoes are always that price though op, where are you from??

Based on that dirt bike, a food desert where fresh produce is seen as provocatively elitist owing to Michelle Obama

>Roma
Fine choice!

Don't turn his into a /pol/ thread, motherfucker.

Heirlooms were 3.50 lb at the farmer's market.

Don't you tell me what to do, you jewish liberal milk shitting amerishart beaner racist SJW feminazi tumblrina stormfag

I think you've got it backwards, son. Every farm I have ever visited (well over a dozen) has dirt bikes, ATVs, beat up trucks and such. Those are common here in the country where we actually grow fresh fucking food ourselves. You think we're going to *walk* out to check on the crops and animals?

this
same in pastaniggerland

Here in the northeast "fresh late summer tomatoes" conjures images of small, personally managed garden-scale tomato farming. New Jersey, which is not far from me, got its nickname from this tradition. Every household would grow some tomatoes. There was no one "giant tomato farm", just independent producers.

The idea that good quality tomatoes could be grown on a massive monocrop scale requiring a high speed motor vehicle to survey the fields seems a bit strange to us. That seems more suitable to corn farming or cattle ranching, not tomatoes.

Nice.

Mine are "free" and I have over 125 quarts canned so far. That's 31.25 gallons of home canned tomatoes that will be made into sauces and good food later on through to next harvest season. I still have lots more tomatoes on the vines.

Nobody is using a dirt bike to survey a monoculture crop. We have a lot of land with many differnt things going on in it. In my case we have 21 acres. Most of it is used for grazing cattle. Some of it is leased out to another farmer who keeps his goats there. Other parts of the land are used for rabbits, chickens, our home, my workshop, etc, etc.

The dirt bike is simply for getting around the farm in general. It's got nothing to do with one massive plot of monculture tomatoes. It's just a standard piece of farm gear like the tractor, truck & trailer, chainsaw, brushcutter, etc.

I have a question, maybe more for American farmers, but maybe it could apply to Eye-talians as well. Farmers do a lot of work just to pay the bills at the end of the month right? Like hard manual labor. Why is it then that just about every farmer I've ever met is a fatass?

Same thing happens to construction workers. Calorie-dense foods are cheap and people overestimate the caloric value of their manual work.

Unless you are literally doing an ironman triathlon every day it's trivial to blow past your calorie requirements inhaling donuts and deep fried steak all the time.

9380325 here
I can't speak for everyone, but the days of farmers doing a lot of manual labor are pretty much over with. We don't use a hoe to prepare the garden, we use a tiller. (or chickens). We don't manually shovel manure and tote it around in a wheelbarrow, we pick it up with the front-end loader on the tractor. We don't use horses and a walk-behind plow on the fields, we use the tractor. If I have to clear some land I don't go out and swing a machete, I use a chainsaw for trees, and the brush hog (a big mower that goes on the tractor) for smaller stuff. If the ground is impassible for the tractor or has a lot of stumps or something on it then I get my neighbor to leave his goats there for a while and let them eat all the plants.

We certainly do more physical activity than, say, a programmer. But it's not all that backbreaking.

I'm a small farm farmer who does subsistence farming. Turns out farming is super easy. If you are "working hard" it means you are either wrangling calves all day and mending fence or you are using improper methods and don't have equipment for your industrial-style farm. If you are using proper techniques and have proper equipment, for your style of farming then farming is really easy. There's not much to do if you are a monocrop industrial farmer who watches a few screens in the tractor cab a couple weeks out of a year. Mostly fat problems are just improper eating regardless of how active they are.

For my farm, I don't have any equipment beyond hand tools and a pickup truck. However, that suits the style of farming, and I do very well. Like I don't need to till because of the way I rotate crops. So, no need for a tiller or plow. My farming doesn't pay bills. It replaces my need for food from the store. I use some of it as trade for local goods and services too. Everything is really efficient, but since I use hand tools, I still get a little bit of a workout. I of course need to watch how much I eat to stay healthy. For me, the hardest work is food preservation. You get the harvest in and need to process it "now" before it goes bad. That makes for a couple weeks of hard work. I've been canning and dehydrating like mad and the pumpkins and apples aren't even ready yet.

>He doesn't know how to conserve food
At the end of the month, you are struggeling to get your next McChicken. Meanwhile, I spend less than 30€/month on food and my fridge is still filled over the brim with food at the end of the month.

This right here. Plan things out right and you can greatly minimize the amount of work you have to do.

I use chickens for a lot of things in my small "farm". I eat their eggs and meat. I turn them loose in the garden for an hour before sunset to eat bugs, slugs, etc so I don't need to buy or apply pesticides. When the growing season is over and I need to prep the garden for replanting I just leave the chickens there for a few weeks. They eat all the weed seeds, their digging/scratching tills the soil, and their poop fertilizes it. They're also great for spreading mulch or compost. Just dump a pile where you want it and let the chickens do their thing. As they scratch around looking for bugs and worms they'll spread it out all over with zero raking or shoveling from you.

Like mentioned goats are excellent for controlling weeds and brush. They can also go places that are difficult or impossible to get to with machinery, and it's a lot less effort (and safer) than doing it with hand tools.

Seconding.

I have no less than 6 months worth of food at all times on my shelves that I grew/raised myself. I wish I had a huge pantry where I could put it all together in one place and take a pic.

Thanks for the insight guys, this really emphasizes just how important diet is. It also reminds me of how much I want to grow an herb garden, but I can't really do it how I want to because I live in an apartment in the city. Gotta save up to build that vertical planter. Guess it's the wrong season to start one anyway.

I can't wait till I get some glass greenhouses up and running. The thought of actual year-round gardening...hnngh. Though, I begin in January with my starts, but it'd be nice to get them outside in a greenhouse.

You should check out the Homegrowmen threads: They originally started on Veeky Forums nearly a decade ago. With more countries coming online, they are now more a yearly thing than a seasonal thing. There's even people posting from jungles in South America from time to time.

Also, for indoor herbs, if you have enough light, there's no wrong time to do it. The simplest thing you can do it plot a bulb of garlic in a jar of soil, give it some water then cut the green tops when they get long. The tops make great herbs. You can usually get 3-5 cuttings from one bulb. I normally keep several bulbs to better spread out the cutting and usage.

where do you live?

>$50

I've never seen that style before. I have a Squeezo and all the screens for it.

>t. obvious poorfag pretending he knows what's up

canada

i still have about a quarter bushel left, i think i'm going to juice it for clamato

Nice work.

You gonna make gravy with that?

You should ,ake cheese and tomato sandwiches.

>not fighting for your mcchicken

A good sandwich.

Where abouts in bc (im assuming)?
May move there soon

>Airplanes aren't a thing

fruits suited to be shipped around the world and fruit suited for good eating are often mutually exclusive

Shut up nigger

I just canned a bunch of tomatoes yesterday, will have twice as many by next week.

I've never seen a fat construction worker.

>nigger telling people to go back to /pol/

>subsistence farming
I'd love to hear more about this. Do you have some other source of income to cover things you can't make and property taxes, or are you able to sell enough surplus to keep yourself afloat? How many hours a week do you spend working?

I rent out a few places. Storage sheds are easy and cheap to build and people pay you lots to rent them for storage.

You don't do farming by hours really. Some things are every day, like feeding animals. All the plant stuff is based around prepping, planting, weeding, watering, harvesting, and preserving. Only the last two are a lot of work and take most of the time and that's only when things are ready to harvest.

80% of the year is spent shitposting on Veeky Forums.

those are sauce tomatoes
make sauce with them

Have you ever been outside?

I work construction and they are all buff alpha males.

This is the only type of mill I could find locally, worked okay.

how long do canned tomatoes last before they go bad?

Good on you sounds like a pretty nice live tbqh

Decade or more.

I had an 1986 RZ350 in perfect condition back in the early 2000s. Then it blew up during a small fire that broke out in the machine shop in my backyard.

op here
fuck i hate this story, sorry man

yeah most recipes say they're good for a year but realistically is more accurate. they are safe to eat indefinitely but they will lose texture and flavor for sure

alright now a question :
so i juiced the last quarter bushel and have 9 pints processing now
i have this pulp left over, several liters. i was thinking of roasting it down for a few hours and pureeing it into concentrated tomato paste. any reason why that's a bad idea?

Why do my tomatoes always rot too fast

>when you just want to brag about your bike and make a food related thread to do so

>all of those seeds

it's ruined

Would probably be a little better if you could get the seeds out but it should work fine either way

to ma to

t. child

see

you fucked up

how?
or are you just illiterate?

What's wrong with seeds? They've always been my favorite part of a tomato.

nothing at all as long as you like your tomatoes flavored with a slight hint of ass... wa la!

those look like cherries

>not knowing how tomatoes work

Sure thing, kid.

>likes the taste of tomato seeds
oof