Kitchen gadgets that aren't shit

What kitchen gadgets do you have that have turned out to actually be good and useful and not break instantly? For me silicon pan covers have been incredibly useful. You can use them to cover bowls to keep food warm, cover dishes in the microwave to stop the food from splattering everywhere if there's a sauce. Pretty useful for the price. Pic related even has a handle to pick it up with and you can get ones with holes in them to let the steam out so you can put them over pans with boiling water in them.

Post kitchen gadgets that are actually worth buying.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B000MWC02C/ref=asc_df_B000MWC02C5152503/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B000MWC02C&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167135614232&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2374806448675749739&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001635&hvtargid=pla-276863767395
youtube.com/watch?v=oHEroCp8bwk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Depending on how often you use garlic and lime juice, a garlic press and/or a lime squeezer are actually worth it.

>silicon
Not this again.

Silicon = rock-hard shiny silver metal = computer chips.
Silicone = soft flexible rubber = boob implants and cookware.

How can people possibly confuse the two?

Garlic roller. I use it a lot and it's a solid gizmo for a quick clove or two. I'll try to find a link.

Pretty sure you can find them online for like $5, but it's invaluable to me now. It saves knife washing time and cutting board cleaning time and you can chuck it in the dishwasher. You just roll that fucker back and forth a few times and you have minced garlic.

You're gonna have to google it yourself because apparently my link was spam.

Know eye deer

Ah shit. I keep forgetting that. I'll try to get it right next time.

Had a quick google and it looks pretty neat, lotta good reviews too.

Autism, the post

I have this set of pans. They're amazing
amazon.com/dp/B000MWC02C/ref=asc_df_B000MWC02C5152503/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B000MWC02C&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167135614232&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2374806448675749739&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001635&hvtargid=pla-276863767395

There are retards on here who don't know the difference between a mandolin and and a mandoline.
This board's fucked.

>mandoline
1. A utensil used to julienne vegetables.
2. music (archaic form of) mandolin
>mandolin
1. music A stringed instrument and a member of the lute family, having eight strings in four courses, frequently tuned as a violin, and with either a bowl-shaped back or a flat back.
2. A kitchen tool used for slicing vegetables (usually spelled mandoline).
3. military An RAF World War II code name for patrols to attack enemy railway transport and other ground targets.

>music (archaic form of)
I'm glad we agree.

I put a small version of those on top of my water glass so my cat doesn't drink it.

One of these.
Costs less than 5 bucks
If you ever use canned tuna, then it's worth ever cent

Just use the fucking lid

I just use the lid to push on the tuna

No shit. That's you do it regularly
But it's a pain in the ass. You never get all the juice out and sometimes the lid bends and shit.

I wouldn't pay a lot for a strainer thing, but it's worth a few dollars. Try it and you'll see it makes it 10x simpler.

Why can't you just use a normal kitchen sieve? Why buy something specialized when a common kitchen utensil that has many other uses works fine?

I don't feel like the small amount of convenience that this item provides is worth it taking valuble space in my cabinet of kitchen oddities. My roomates buy enough stupid shit as it is. I never have problems using the lid to drain the oil or water, maybe i'm just more aggressive about it than you are.

Then get a fine mesh strainer. Who is eating that much canned tuna

you actually use a sieve for tuna? doesn't that stretch and warp it? also doesn't the tuna get caught in the sieve and make it hard to clean?

Normally I'm totally with you guys.
I don't like mono-function tools.
But this thing costs like 2 bucks and smaller than a can opener
I don't like using a sieve because they're typically large and I like the idea of having bits of fish possibly sticking in between the wires.
The whole point of a tuna sandwich is that it's low effort.

I was a total skeptic too before my roommate bought one. I don't even eat that much tuna. But it's so fucking convenient. The tuna gets properly drained every time, and you don't need to worry about high pressure squirts of fish juice like you would when squeezing down the lid.

I don't eat canned tuna.

But why would you expect that to stretch or warp a sieve? I routeinly use them for very soft foods, including mashing the soft food into the sieve using a back of a ladle to squeeze out all the liquid. Never had a problem with damaging the sieve, and as far as cleaning goes I just stick the sieve in the dishwasher with the rest of my pots and pans. Never had a problem with it coming out dirty.

I have a magic bullet. Best smoothies you'll ever drink.

Me.
>finna die of mercury poisoning like Newton

High school dropout, the post

Theres nothing wrong with unitaskers, they just need to be useful and not unnecessarily clutter up the kitchen. That thing is nothing but clutter when you have the lid and a strainer

my sieves are kind of a wire mesh that are only used for flour and the like. Pushing on my sieves would definitely stretch and misshapen them from the bowl shape that they come as. I guess yours are made of sturdier stuff. You really have to squeeze the brine out of tuna as well, so it's not like you can gently push it, at least for the tuna that I buy.

Sometimes a little clutter is worth the convenience

Do you use a rotary can opener instead of just the knife style? That's clutter, mate, exchanged for convenience

does pic related count as a gadget? I don't have a hand mixer so a ricer makes really good mashed potatoes without lumps. It may be a unitasker but fuck me once you go lumpless mash you'll never want to go back to the shitty hand mashers.

What if you want skins too?

Potato skin in my mash? Do people do that?

Sure
All the good nutrients are in the skin
And it provides some texture

Literally never heard of that until now, I had to look it up. Huh. Well from the question I'm guessing that if I wanted to try it, it wouldn't go through a ricer properly?

Rice cooker. Not sure if it is classified as a gadget though.

Given how many people can't distinguish between your/you're, their/there/they're, are/our, to/too/two and its/it's, I'd say it comes as little surprise that people have trouble with silocon(e).

I wouldn't think so?
I just use a thick ol' steel masher.

Try tossing some cloves of garlic in the water when you're boiling. Mashing them up with the taters. Butter, bit of milk, parsley
Now you got some mashed fucking taters

I love mine.
I know it's super easy to make rice with a pot, and I do if I need to make a few cups of it at a time, but the "set it and forget it" nature of a cooker is too fucking convenient

>Try tossing some cloves of garlic in the water when you're boiling. Mashing them up with the taters.

I'm with you on that. Did some celeriac mash last night and boiled it with some rosemary and thyme as well as two crushed cloves of garlic and mashed it all in. Makes a world of difference.

As much as pressing garlic is looked down upon, I think it definitely has it's purposes, like with garlic sauce. I use it for ginger too, although you need a good one for that; the cheaper ones may break.

>celeriac
I have never heard of this before.
Is it any good?

It's good shit. To be honest I've only ever had it as a mash and usually with haggis alongside neeps (w/carrots mashed in) and tatties. It has a lot of flavour on its own but I still recommend adding some salt, herb and garlic to it before mashing but it. Mind that when you go to mash it, it's pretty watery but that's just how it is. Try it out at least once to see how you like it, definitely recommend having it with haggis though.

>he doesn't use Silicon Brand Silicon Cookware

Just cut off a piece of your neighbor's hose. Same thing and free

>didn't read the whole thing
>too stupid to get the point

I got a knockoff one (actually the exact same thing but called the food twisters) which has lasted me for about 15 years now. It was definitely worth the $25 I paid for it and useful for many other things besides smoothies.

I literally have never had an issue with draining the liquid and I've been making tuna salad since I was like 6

>many other things besides smoothies
what else do you use it for?

They also are bottle openers though. Also they open all types of cans not just tuna. There's really no comparison

How is that "solid" at all?

It's slower than smacking the garlic with your knife. I guess it might be easier cleanup, but since when are you needing fresh garlic but not using the knife or cutting board anyway? Anytime I'm using garlic I already have to wash the knife and cutting board for other ingredients in the meal. In this case using the knife is actually less cleanup.

Check mate :)

I want to know your opinion on these things.

>my sieves are kind of a wire mesh that are only used for flour and the like.
Same here.

>>Pushing on my sieves would definitely stretch and misshapen them from the bowl shape that they come as
Easy there Hercules.

>>I guess yours are made of sturdier stuff
Seems like any 'ol sieve to me. It wasn't anything fancy, expensive, or special. I think I got it at Wal-mart.

Worth it.

but surely they're unitaskers?

Potato ricers have a a few uses. They're fucking great for squeezing the excess water out of hash browns before frying them. They're also handy for juicing fruit.

I don't see the point. Use a rocking motion with your knife.

Unitaskers should be avoided but not shunned entirely

Celeriac has a flavour very close to that of the common American Pascal celery, but is a firm, slightly spongy mass (technically a sort of stalk, but usually thought of as a root-ball). It's main advantage is that it's useful to have in your larder, as it will keep for months, even without refrigeration (obviously, it keep better in the fridge, but is slightly vulnerable to high moisture)

The flesh grips a knife quite hard, like rutabaga (the neeps here ), but it's not a big deal.

It fondants very well, and makes an acceptable root crisp, too.

I do squeeze my tuna pretty hard. If they're so cheap and take up a very small amount of space (and I eat tuna fairly regularly) then I don't see the harm. Really the take-away here is that a unitasker isn't bad if you do that one task often enough to warrant it.

An oven is a unitasker aswell, it only heats things up. Stop parroting BS from bitter "celebrities" that just want to be famous.

>using your good knife on a pizza stone

>I do squeeze my tuna pretty hard
And when I make stock I really cram the ladle into the sieve. Zero deformation after years of use.

Why re-invent the wheel, especially when you haven't even tried it.

Hey, just trying to show that some unitaskers get to fly under the radar without being branded as a pointless unitasker. No skin off my back what people think.

I was wondering when the superspergs were going to show up.

An oven obviousl has many uses. You can bake, roast, broil, or braise in it. And each of those things can be used for many different types of food.

What can a pizza cutter do that's anywhere near that practical? And more importantly, what's wrong with using your knife? Is it dull or something?

Okay, just for you I'm going to ram some tuna into a sieve next time I want some tuna.

>what's wrong with using your knife?
>using your good knife on anything that's not a cutting board

>You just roll that fucker back and forth a few times and you have minced garlic.
What? I thought they just removed the skin

I'd be ashamed to show that pizza and I don't own a fucking katana

So now you're saying it's impossible to put a pizza on a cutting board? Am I understanding you correctly?

>What can a pizza cutter do that's anywhere near that practical
Cut dough. I use it all the time when I make stuff like croissants or cinnamon rolls.
>You can bake, roast, broil, or braise in it

Like I said, it heat things up, doesn't matter how many different words you find for it :^)

Sauces, mincing herbs, making powdered sugar, making crappy ice drinks. Even used it to grind coffeebeans a few times (not great for that though, but it worked).

Now you're dirtying your good cutting board too?
Look how much mess you've made just by denying a pizza roller in your Misc drawer.
You already have a Misc drawer. Why is it so painful to put something in there.

Compared to a knife they're shit to clean, pretty useless for anything else, but... still worth it.

>Now you're dirtying your good cutting board too?
Not enought to bother me. If it's just the dry bottom of a cooked pizza on it then I don't see the need to clean it. If It gets melted cheese or grease or somethoing on it then sure, I'll be happy to clean it.

>>You already have a Misc drawer. Why is it so painful to put something in there.
It's already too full of things that I actually use and don't have alternatives. Why would I bother buying a pizza cutter when a knife is perfectly usable and I already have that? I normally use my beater knife on whatever surface the pizza happens to be on.

wire mesh pan lid to prevent the surrounding counters from getting coated in oil when cooking at high heat

Or you could avoid splatter altogether by not putting damp/wet food in a hot pan.

Got one of those too. Works well, but it's shit to clean.

*blocks your path*

You can pat meat down all you want but it's going to release juices during cooking and if you're using high heat like I do then that moisture is going to cause spattering

I just run mine through the dishwasher

>dishwasher
Fucking unitaskers

>unitaskers
youtube.com/watch?v=oHEroCp8bwk
Um, try again sweetie :)

>Be German
>Silicon is called Silicium and Silicone is called Silikon.
Feels good

Also, this little faggot here. Stirrer with a cotton condom which absorbs steam. Made for popcorn, it scratches the pots but it's worth it, the popcorn is great. Pretty sure you can use this fucker for other stuff as well, maybe for stir fry or other stuff.

Hahaha, what the fuck?

Also, do brits really say "fileTTE" and not "filay"?

>Also, do brits really say "fileTTE" and not "filay"?
sadly, they do.

I want one. I like tuna sammiches, and using the lid takes a while because I like to get as much of the juice out as I can.
I use my sieve sometimes, but it's a big ass thing for just a can or two of tuna, and it gets a lot messier than a plastic thing like that would. I mean I can't just RincE the metal one, I have to put it in the dishwasher.

Fuck the haters. I'm getting one.

>Fuck the haters. I'm getting one.
I'm with you there, found one on amazon for a couple of quid and I'm getting it.

just open the can a little and drain the liquid out the opening, and then open the rest of the can

>eating soggy tuna
You gotta PRESS that shit

Retard.

When the potato has thin skin sometimes I will leave it in and actually I have had peole tell me that they prefer some skin. When I m using the potatoes with the thick skin, I peel them, but I do it kind of lazily, so you still get some skin in the mash for color and texture.

The word "filet" is pronounced "fee-lay"

this guy is way better. no wobble of the blade, and you can push way more pressure down, and you have much more control.

I use them to make gnocchi

use them to make Gnocchi too

Even better solution

Don't scissors make a bigger mess?

Is it easy to clean? Looks like a lot can get stuck in that cap-thing.

no? plus the chances are that you have a pair of kitchen scissors and you don't have to buy that unitasker.

well shit, I know what I'm doing next week now.