York Maine

There better be whole belly clams.

Hotdog under sandwich....

IT MAKE ME ANGRY ME SMASH

looks pretty comfy tbdesu

Why is their seafood so fucking expensive?

Meat between bread, whats the problem?
Croque-monsieur/madame are still sandwiches even though they're open face.

I'll whole belly your clam, kiddo

6.95 for a large fries?

If I understood correctly then OP is in maine, seafood goes by tourist prices. Just came back from there myself, fucking $25 for lobster sandwich

At that price, large means "enough for 3 people" and they give you a small paper liquor sack loaded with them. Around here anyway.

I went on vacation to the East Coast back in the early 90's with my family. A lobster in Maine was expensive as hell and wasn't very good. Then when we got to Plymouth we got two for a lot less than in Maine and they were much better. I guess some things just don't change.

They're well in the rich tourist, "Northern Massachusetts" area of Maine. Pic related, about how far people go into the state on their big Maine vacation. Pin is on York, from OP. Go further up the coast or inland and thing get cheaper, more local and authentic
>Oh, you went to Maine? That's awesome, I grew up there. Where'd you go?
>Kittery, it's awesome!
>....

To be fair, would you venture deep into serial killer territory?

Look bud, you want cheap lobster, you get yourself up to a lobster pound downeast and get it. If you want to hang south of Portland and go to an LL Bean themed, pinecone-scented cafe for your $25 roll, feel free.

Is that the old browns pier on north haven? looks familiar

Perhaps you've also dumped a body there?

Quintessential american.

Castine Harbor, looking towards Eatons boatyard

Here's an old bathroom in Gotham maine.

Eh, even further north, it's still expensive. When I was in Bar Harbor (or should I say "Baah Haabaar"), I still paid around $16-$20 for lobster, crab, or clam rolls. And some places were worse, just advertising "market price", which means your wallet's about to be emptied.

No offense, but you just went from one major touristey area to the other. Bar harbor is crazy expensive for anything. Those four or five lobster bake restuaraunts you passed before the bridge onto Mount Desert Island? Those are good.

This. Just traveled the country for the past year and did some camping up around Acadia and visited Bar Harbor. Cool town, but pretty steep pricewise. Had some delectable clam chowder, but the best lobster roll I had by far was at one of the billion road side sheds selling food. The one I tried at this restaurant in Bar Harbor was wildly disappointing and twice as expensive. I knew I was paying too much, but that's how it is.

Either way, the coast of Maine is comfy and I love stopping by all those little coastal towns and snagging a beer every 20 or 30 minutes at different local bars as I cruise up the coast.

Acadia is pretty too, but wildly crowded and one of the most overrated National Parks I visited. Had some old buddies who live up in the Northeast though, so I figured I'd hang with them for a week or so. All in all, coastal Maine is pretty comfy. The interior on the other hand is a different story...

/blog

There's nothing wrong with the interior of Maine. Definitely attracts a different kind of tourist (outdoorsy, water sports, hiking, skiing, hunting) but there are some extremely comfy towns(Hallowell, Paris, Farmington, Belgrade, Kingfield,Rangely,Weld). Granted, the are a hole host of awful, poor shuttered mill towns that you should avoid (Lewiston, Bangor, Jay, Millinocket, this could go on) as a tourist.

That's true. I probably shouldn't have phrased it that way. Did a lot of hiking and some camping on the interior. Bugs can be absolutely hellish, but there are some gorgeous forests and lakes to explore. The bugs sometimes though.... Fucking hell.

I just tend to gravitate towards coastal towns since I wasn't raised by one and something about the ocean and the rocky outcropping and small fishing towns is just so appealing. Food is generally pretty killer too. Don't get much fresh seafood where I'm from, so it was a real treat.

I'm probably gonna catch a lot of flack for this but I really like Bob's Clam Hut. The prices are high and the portions aren't very big and it seems to have gotten worse after Flavortown came to visit but I've been going there for a long time and the food IS good. That said if you go down route 1 a bit to Petey's in Rye you get way more food

you have $6 in your pocket
drinks are a dollar

what do you order?

dont be mad