Sandwich Toasters

Who loves these things? You can put any leftover in them that isn't too runny.

Totally unnecessary. Like a coffee cup that can brew coffee.

I take it you've never had a sandwich from one.

True, but I've had grilled chz

Then you don't know what you're talking about.

I toss in leftovers and other stuff like beef stew, sliced apples, baked beans, ravioli, whatever Chinese takeout I had the day before, and so on. It seals the sides up so nothing leaks out, unless you put too much in. I also use it for baking breads and pastries.

If you put too much cheese in it will end up like this.

This faggot has clearly never had a jaffle before.

I like putting cheddar cheese and pepperoni or tasty cheese and stagg chilli.

try one with leftover sausages (sliced up) and instead of regular bread, soak it in beaten egg first. So good.

Sandwich toaster or panini press, I can't decide

I have one but I don't make sandwiches in it anymore. I grill small sausages and bacon in it.

sandwich toaster, get one with changeable plates. It makes all the difference when it crimps the sides to keep the fillings in, rather than have them splurge out all over the thing.

I had one when I was in college because it was one of the few cooking appliances that was OK to have in your dorm. At the time I thought it was the greatest thing ever.

When I moved out I donated it to charity and just use a normal frying pan or toaster oven if I want to make a toasted sandwich.

I hate it because it's a unitasker, but it's the only unitasker I've ever owned and liked....it's just easier to use than a frying pan or griddle

what if i want my sandwich uncut like God intended it?

>calling a sandwich toaster a unitasker

Then what else is it you massive cock goblin cum drinking peice of god damn shit

whoa, pretty aggressive. well already you can use it to fry bacon or cook a steak in there, anything you want heat being clamped down on, not just toasted sammies.

I thought it was pretty cool in the early nineties. Then the novelty wore off, I grew up and actually cooked food in a kitchen.

WOW OP, WONDERFUL. FINALLY A WAY TO MAKE A SANDWICH HOT. AMAZINGLY USEFUL SINCE I DON'T OWN AN OVEN, GRILL, SKILLET, PAN, OR MICROWAVE. I LIVE IN A CAVE WITH A DIRT CEILING AND NO FLOOR AND TWO POWER OUTLETS - ONE FOR MY SANDWICH TOASTER AND ONE FOR A SECOND SANDWICH TOASTER IN CASE THAT ONE BREAKs

Well if one breaks you unplug it and plug the other one in, now you have a second outlet for a lamp or coffee machine or something.

Why would I use it for either of those purposes?

It's not flat inside so it does a piss-poor job on bacon. It's a plug-in a appliance so it's not powerful enough to get a good sear on a steak. Not to mention who the fuck wants to mash their steak inside a press like that? That's a great way to fuck up the texture and squeeze all the juices out.

Your cooking skills are just as retarded as your reaction images.

What if I was to tell you there was another way to cook steak. I swear to god I'm not kidding.

you do realise that even though it's not optimal it doesn't take away from the fact that it isn't a unitasker.

I use mine for making pancakes or whatever these would be called (left side of pic) and toasted egg sandwiches.

>forgot pic

ah such failure

And random boring leftovers.

Well then nothing's a fucking unitasker. A coffee machine isn't a unitasker because you can fill it with juice and have hot juice. A pizza cutter isn't a unitasker because you can use it to add an illicit thrill to your vegetable peeling. Those fucking, single egg egg cookers aren't unitaskers because you can use them as paperweights. Fuck you and fuck sandwich makers. Just kidding

looks gud man

Looks alright. What's in them

see

this might be one of the most autistic reactions i've ever seen to anything.

why the fuck would you buy this over a regular panini

you can make a bubble with literally like 3 tbs of liquid contained without escaping if you do it right. but why not just have soup? cleanup is one dish. :^)

I hate how it makes the edges too hard.

kek'd

My biggest problem is stopping from putting too much in. Like I want a pepperoni roll so in goes pepperoni. Then I'm like, cheese would be good, in in cheese goes. And, a bit of sauce and spices too.....and some capers.....

It really is a balancing act.

That's actually the thing I love about them.

[spoiler]It's a joke.[/spoiler]

If you put tomato in one beware it gets hotter than the sun because the steam gets trapped inside the sandwich

yeah you learn that pretty quickly

you never forget the first cheese and tomato toastie burn...

Sandwich toaster omelettes are pretty great.

I don't have one anymore, but I had one as a college student and fucking loved it.

>waiting for them to cool properly before eating

Why not use a real panini maker?

>doesn't crimp the sides to seal in the cheesy goodness
why even bother?

>he doesn't know the pleasure of crispy hardened cheese overflow

>using a shittier george forman grill

Just put too much cheese in the sandwich toaster and it will do the same thing. You can use a lot of wetter ingredients and leftovers in the sandwich toaster since it seals the sides.

>panini

lol No, kid.

I'll be making these with leftover beef stew this week. What is the best dip to make for them? Like for pizza "rolls" I used marinara sauce, for grilled cheese it is either marinara or tomato soup, for eggs I use honey or maple syrup. I was thinking of making a cheese sauce of some kind perhaps.

Why isn't there a universal counter top grill?

Something you can close and sandwich stuff like a George Foreman to cook small things quickly, or do stuff like sandwiches. But also open it up and have a wide griddle surface for doing large amounts slowly. And have preset angles so you can do that Foreman thing to drain grease away if you want or level for doing something in its own juices.

The ultimate multitasker.

Some of these things have interchangable plates too. So you can do foreman style, panini style, sandwich toaster, waffle, etc. I haven't seen any recently, just the really old ones from the 1980s.

Someone doesn't fuck around.

The only thing missing is a set of pie irons.

Love them, cheese, tomato and onion sandwiches with a dash of malt vinegar, salt & pepper = Heaven

Beans and cheese are great in these, my brother used to use sugar an butter in them though and looked like a skeleton despite it.

I coat the bread with butter and seasonings/spices on the outside side that gets cooked. Yes, it will make you fat if you eat too many, but they are so damn good.

Can you make french toast with this?

You want something that's so next level it'll make you question the fundamentals of cooking that can be made in those? Aloo gobhi toasties. You can put a neutral cheese in there like Swiss to make it richer. But it almost the perfect snack.

Oh yeah! I do that and put fruit preserves between two slices.

I can second this.

sweet just bought 100k

No matter how retardedly terrible the leftovers may be, these things make them scrumptious. Having the proper dip to match also helps a lot.

dolt

well actually in france and england and some other places they use the coffees steam valve or whatever to make scambled eggs, pretty weird

anyways sandwhich toaster, cheese and vegemite. godly

You use the espresso machine's frothing wand.

thaaats what it is. i dont drink coffee so i had no idea what i was trying to specify

and does this work well? seems like a fast as fuck way to scramble eggs

Yeah, but they will be a bit more watery until you get the hang of it. Even then they will be watery when compared to skillet-cooked scrambled eggs.

>add an illicit thrill to your vegetable peeling
Actually lost it, thanks user.

I've considered getting one but they look like they're mostly designed to fit the shitty sliced bread they sell in supermarkets.

Any decent bakery sells sandwich loaves.

My country uses a different shape of bread, our bread is more rectangular in shape normally, square loaves are usually harder to find and don't taste as good.

I don't see what the shape of bread has to do with taste.

You can heat hot dogs and steam buns in a coffee maker. You can make eggs on the burner thing.

>I don't see what the shape of bread has to do with taste.
Obviously if you have the same dough and bake it the same way it would taste the same regardless of the shape. But that's not the point.

The point is that where I live the only bread that comes in that rectangular shape is cheap shitty factory-produced stuff. The good bread, made by local bakers, comes in different shapes. I'm sure they could (if they wanted to) bake it in pullman loaves, but they don't choose to.

>go afk
>completely different user answers a question addressed to me exactly the way I would
Odd feeling.

>not owning a square loaf pan for your own breads
>not owning a bread maker that makes perfectly square loaves

Of course it only fits one shape.

Also, when I buy store bread it doesn't really matter what shape it is. The sandwich maker will cut off anything hanging outside. I pop the trimmings into a bag and use them for soups and stews later on. Though, sometimes I make croutons out of them instead.

That happens a lot in /diy/ and /out/ with informational threads, like the Homegrowmen threads.

>gifted Ghost Pepper cheese
>"oh shit!"

Well, this isn't very spicy at all.

use a baking sheet for extra lazy mode

What does that even mean? Wrong thread?

It saves you having to clean the hot plates.

That usually happens to me when I argue with someone and go into another thread, and then come back and someone took over arguing for my side saying pretty much exactly what I would say.

But you have to clean a baking sheet instead. Not to mention it takes a lot longer and uses a lot more energy. How does that help again?

The hot plates are non-stick. All you do is wipe them with a wet rag. Just don't be one of those people who use a fork to lift up the sandwich and end up scratching the surface. Use a bamboo skewer or similar instrument.

That's good advice, user.
I appreciate a sensible, belt and braces approach to such problems.
The bamboo skewer idea is absolutely capital.

or just use a silicone utensil

Absolutely!
Thanks, I love learning neat cooking tricks.

Aren't these things simply obvious? What's a special trick about them? OFC you don't use metal on nonstick.

see
for why this began.

its in the fucking name you autist

I call them, "Joy Cookers". I'm not sure what your problem is.

I used to live on toasts from these when I was a teenager.

I had a friend that had some sort of alternative form of ADHD, and somehow got a lot of privileges, one of them was that he was allowed to keep a toasting iron in the class room, so during lunch we toasted everyday.

The usual recipe for these in my country is ketchup on both slices, then add cheese and ham and grill spice. We usually stuffed the sandwhiches so full that it would require all our strength to close them, and sometimes they broke because of it.

The only problem with these is that its so impractical to clean, since you have to be careful with electric equipment and water. My roomate has one which I use from time to time, but its getting too dirty and produces smoke that smells of burnt plastic.

Its probably really nice to use wheat tortillas with all kinds of stuff folded into them as well.

Been there and done most of that, except breaking one. Cleaning is always a wet rag + bamboo skewer. The skewer allows you to easily dig into any crevices with either end to loosen up stuff either inside or outside.

There are models that allow you to easily take off the cooking plates to wash however you see fit.

When I was younger I made those sandwiches every other day.

Pro tip: butter the bread

I think that's mostly standard, but damn it can make you a fat ass quickly.

even better protip, use pig lard instead of butter, it makes the bread crispy and crunchy

The fuck is a jaffle?

A pie iron.

This yours?

potatoes carrots and beef...maybe french onion soup