Which fucking part of a burger is junk food?

which fucking part of a burger is junk food?
is the bread, the meat, the cheese, or the vegetables?
which btw are delicious when combined

Probably the amount of fat senpai

Can't Veeky Forums build the better burger??

Eat ten for every meal so we can get rid of you sooner, shitposter.

the bread

I think using cheddar on burgers almost ruins it. Lettuce too.

I'm American, I don't always eat burgers, but there is a perfect one for me. A medium rare thick patty, on a pretzel bun, provolone cheese. I want thick hickory smoked bacon, I want a healthy slice of tomato, a good slice of raw onion, and some pickles. I would also like a heap of sauteed mushrooms. For my condiments, a mixture of mayo and banana ketchup, add a dash of English mustard for some heat. Just a dash though, and spread that on the top bun.

There's other burgers I've had that I like when I've had a few drinks. A burger with a fried egg in it, or the wildly unhealthy mozzarella cheese-stick burger, it's just a burger with cheese sticks in between the buns.

>Lettuce too.
Lettuce delivers the crispy crunch

>bread
>cheese
>meat
there's your junk

So where's the fat then? Bread is full of carbo I know, maybe in the cheese? Is there all that fat?

Because sure isn't in the meat, so where is it?

t. nu-male

>t.lard ball

>meanwhile everyone who lifts eats those three things
get fucked

Low quality knowledge, because you can't answer the question

If you like a layer of crispy lettuce on your burger then that's all you. It doesn't hurt or offend me in anyway, I just prefer not to have it. I would never think less of anyone for having it, I just don't like it on mine.

This isn't necessarily the best way though. The burger is already relatively soft. You wouldn't put a leaf of lettuce on a steak. I think the juicy part of a burger is best complimented with minimal adornments. Tomato and thin onion can help cut through the fat. I still like a classic America burger with all the fixings though.

Ok cool

I wouldn't put lettuce on a steak because the only thing that goes on my steak is mushrooms.

>meanwhile vegan gains just stole your girl without eating pus filled shit
really boggles the brain

you can't actually be serious

Mostly what makes burgers "junk food" is the high calorie density but the relatively low nutritional density.

You'll get a decent amount of protein and iron from the patty and calcium from the cheese, but not much from a leaf of lettuce and a couple tomato slices. The bun is mostly just empty calories. They also have a lot of fat and salt. This not factoring any sauces or bacon or fried toppings added to many burgers.

I fucking love a good burger, but they're absolutely a treat food and not a daily staple.

He's kind of right though, I still like a burger with a little bit of a snap to it. For me the pickles do it, and I kind of think lettuce is just a flavorless addition. Some people like a little bit more of a snap to it.

I would use lettuce on a chicken/egg/tuna salad sandwich. It gives it that crisp and you can't really use pickles to do it. I would use pickles or potato chips on a ham/turkey sandwich for the snap.

But on fast food burgers, my lettuce never has any snap to it and is normally wilted and yellow/brown with maybe a hint of green going on with it. If it's purpose is to add snap, why isn't it snappy?

>fast food burgers
There's your problem. They were likely frozen, destroying the snapping properties. There's nothing like a home grilled burger with freshly washed lettuce and a slice of a garden grown tomato on a lightly toasted still warm hamburger bun.

You dodged his first bait, but the second...

Best post in the thread for actually answering OP.

>putting pickles on a bacon cheeseburger

The vegetables

Are you sure? It's quite nutritionally complete compared to "healthy" things.

A simple burger made at home can be very healthy, or a burger like pictured in the OP.

empty calorie bread, fatty burger, all the shit like ketchup and mayo that people drench burgers in.

>why are burgers unhealthy?it baffles the mind

Yes, I'm positive. The nutritional value of the vegetable toppings is nowhere near full serving levels.

I love burgers, and they are a great shot of protein, but they are calorically dense and not really nutritionally well rounded by themselves.

If you paired a moderate sized burger, that didn't have a lot of sauces and toppings on it, with a good sized and well made vegetable side you'd have a more nutritionally rounded meal. But still pretty fat and calorie heavy.

Which is why I eat burgers as a treat, not as a staple.

They should never be a staple just like pizza, fried chicken, fast order chinese food, Taco Bell/fast food TexMex. You're definitely right on that one. Some people don't understand that for some reason.

Pic related is literally the same thing, but consumers pay several times the price of a regular burger for one of these shits. Also, people would be shocked if you said pic related was "junk" food.

The bread is not "empty" of calories in either case. The protein is, well, protein (you'll get more in the burger actually) and there are FAR more saturated fats in pic related than in OP's burger.

Eager to hear how you justify this.

don't know why you're assuming I'm going to justify the shit you posted. Still got white bread in it, looks like it's drenched in some kind of oil or vinegar, assuming avocado and some kind of egg. White bread is always empty calories. White bread is junk food through and through. Food in that pic looks like shit. Could have a much healthier and protein packed vege burger or quorn that is less fatty.

Clarification: When people say "empty calories" they don't mean the bread has no calories. They mean the bread has a lot of calories but little nutritional value.

It seems like you just have a general "bad feeling" about food that you allow to determine what you think (read: feel) is healthy or not.

Most burgers made at home are far healthier and serve as staples just fine. They're better than things like pasta, which if not for the meat are almost wholly calories from sugars.

>fats are unhealthy cuz fats

did the vegan containment thread hit bump limit

>Banana ketchup

Found the Filipino subhuman

Eating a sensibly sized homemade burger once or twice a week is fine so long as you don't go crazy with the toppings and sides.

Eating a big, topping laden burger with a big pile of fries or onion rings is something you should do rarely, like for special occasions.

- Red meat causes cancer and diabetes
- Saturated fat causes hypercholesteremia, atherosclerosis, cancer, dysbiosis, brain damage, insulin resistance, diabetes, endothelial dysfunction, metabolic dysfunction of adipose tissue, muscle, liver and pancreas.
Ground beef is high in saturated fat.
Cheese is high in saturated fat.
- Salt causes elevated blood pressure, endothelial dysfunction, calcium losses in the urine and stomach cancer
All components of the burger are high in salt except the vegetables.
- Burgers may contain sauce and mayonnaise made from refined seed oils which are high in oxidized omega-6 FAs and toxic byproducts of the industrial production process

A McDonalds Cheeseburger provides
- 33% of calories as fat which is too high in total fat
- 15% of calories as saturated fat which too high in saturated fat
- 44% of calories as carbohydrate which is too low in carbohydrates, and coming primarily from a refined grain
- 1.7 grams of salt which is a little under half of the daily maximum
- 6.66 grams of fiber per 1000 calories which is too low in fiber

It's really only the grease from the burger and all that extra sodium that gets into the mix.

Otherwise, they really aren't that unhealthy (especially if you pack on lots of veggies/lettuce)

>- 6.66 grams of fiber per 1000 calories which is too low in fiber

>a meat is low in fiber
That's a bigger shocker than the one I gave your mother last night

it was called junk food once fast food places started to make the most cooked food.
Like MCdonalds for example.
You can hide the burger for years and will still be edible

The portion size the sides and cost make it junk. You could have a small burger and it would be considered a healthy snack. You could have it with good bread and a side salad instead of Friday and coke and it'll be a nice meal. You could have a meal with almost the exact same nutrition in an expensive restaurant and it'll be indulgent instead of junk.

>You could have a meal with almost the exact same nutrition in an expensive restaurant and it'll be indulgent instead of junk

>what is a whole wheat bun
>what is a side salad
>what is not shoveling fucking crisps down your hole which have piss all nutrient value but spike insulin levels

k. just die then.

If you're talking fast food, It's the low-quality ingredients used throughout the burger.

* Meat: worst cuts, such as ground-up heart tissue
* Bun: basic white bread with lots of industrialized crap
* Cheese: it's not even legally cheese, just oils and emulsifiers with flavoring
* random sauces, including ketchup: full of sugar and preservatives and crap
* Lettuce and tomato and pickle: these are basically ok, all four grams of them that you get if you specifically request tomato because otherwise they'll leave it off to save costs

So, basically, 1/100th of the fast-food "burger" is stuff that you should be eating.

If you make your own at home, from a decent grade of ground beast and real cheese and so on, then they're breddy gud. I make mine bunless because keto. Throw a thick slice of onion on top, season with rosemary/oregano/basil, and top with a couple of slices of Emmenthaler.

>which fucking part of a burger is junk food?
the bread is usually full of sugar or corn syrum and the "cheese" is processed to hell and back
other than that its pretty good

Then why is foie gras not junk food?

The cook

That burger looks delicious.

The classic burger is built from the cheapest garbage tier ingredients. The ground beef is the lowest quality beef you can get. The bun is almost always made from the most highly processed bleached enriched flour, loaded with preservatives and conditioners. The cheese is the cheapest shit you can get, often barely even cheese by legal standards. The vegetables are just tokens to add some kind of fresh taste to the result.
Also this, as well as the amount of salt.

It's junk food because you're replacing a meal with a highly caloric snack that isn't so rich in terms of nutrition per calorie.

>provolone cheese
>on a burger
Provolone is like the blandest fucking cheese ever and you put it on a burger and pretend you're some fucking genius burger maker
Fuck off you pretentious cunt

>doesn't like the cheese that works on the highest number of different sandwiches

Just because you can't go more than a few words without saying fuck doesn't mean you have taste

the absolute STATE of americans

>pretentious for using provolone on a burger
How is that at all pretentious? It's not like I'm rattling off names of some French cheeses that no one has ever heard of and trying to pair my "Beef wellington ensemble" with only the finest wine.

Sure, you can make a healthy version of any junk food, but the heart of the question is the classic burger.
Most people prefer the white processed buns and 1 lb of fries with their burger.

>which fucking part of a burger is junk food?
If it's made from good ingredients? None of it.

If it's factory-processed slop with the lowest possible quality shit-tier ingredients as is served at most fast food places? All of it.

>pretentious
I get what you're trying to say. A good fast food burger is delicious trash. But someone trying to do better than fast food isn't being pretentious unless they're of such a low social class that going into any restaurant other than a fast food joint would be putting on airs. You're not really demonstrating a clear understanding of the word pretentious, unless you're just assuming everyone is on the lower end of working class.

I feel redpilled right now.

>white bread
You can just get a fucking quality bread with whole grains
>meat
Anyone who thinks meat isn't healthy should get out of here
>lettuce/tomato/whatever vegetables
Does anyone question how healthy they are?
>cheese
Just get anything besides american "cheese".

I feel lied when people called burgers "junk food".

i've reached a big problem in my diet, i can't eat without smoking weed and my dads downstairs making a big plate of pancakes, any diet tips ck?

Junk food is about source ingredients and burgers have traditionally been made with shit tier ingredients. There really shouldn't be any debate over this, but defensive trailer trash will always get offended if you suggest that a snack cake with 50,000 ingredients on the label might be something less than completely wholesome. And so it is with pink slime on a bun with a half life of 300 years.

Most people are idiots, user. They don't realize that whether or not something is pretentious hinges solely on a person's motivation for doing said thing. They think it's an adjective that can describe objects rather than people.

Combination of the meat, cheese, and mayo. Seriously just getting no cheese and no mayo on your burger cuts a decent amount of calories.

probably just the large portion of 70-80% fat beef. 1lb of 70% is 1506 calories so a 1/3lb burger is 500 calories of beef alone.

new here?

>They think it's an adjective that can describe objects rather than people.
I don't think they think that because they're idiots. They're just sheltered. They see trying to improve the burger instead of embracing its pedestrian glory as pretentious, because for them and the folks they know it would be. And they just assume everybody else is in the same position. But for the kind of people who eat at Michelin starred restaurants over the last 15 years or so the chef driven burger with its custom meat blend and bun might be delicious silliness, but it's hardly pretentious.

>salt is bad
kik

How fucking stupid are you people?
A burger doesn't have to be junkfood if it's prepared at home and not at a fastfood place

>I don't think they think that because they're idiots
Sure they are. They don't even know what the word pretentious means and are using it incorrectly. A food can never be pretentious. Only a person can be. And whether or not a person is pretentious depends on his motivation for doing something.

>>person eats fancy cheese because they enjoy the taste
Not pretentious

>>person eats fancy cheese because they want to show off to their peers & appear to be something that they are not
Pretentious.

Provolone is a fancy cheese? It's sitting in the grocery store right next to American cheese slices and giant tubs of sour cream.

I never said it was. I just used "Fancy cheese" as a random example. It wasn't meant to describe provolone. If it makes you feel better substitute "expensive wine", "truffles", "caviar", "Jamon Iberico de Bellota", etc, for "fancy cheese".

A day or two's worth of salt in one meal is a bit much.
I agree with you. But it's more a matter of culture that idiocy. If you live in a place where pretty much everyone you know has the same opinions about what's pretentious then you just extend the meaning of the word to what you consider symbols of it, because everyone you know pretty much agrees on those symbols. For example, to the average Joe shelling out for a Brooks Brothers suit and a pair of Prada shoes would be pretentious, because they're nothing more than expensive status symbols that have no place in his world. But for an Associate on Wall St who just got his first bonus buying clothes like that is pretty much expected, and not at all pretentious. The average Joe just assumes that because these things would be pretentious for him to own that they're pretentious things. Easy mistake.

>If it makes you feel better substitute "expensive wine", "truffles", "caviar", "Jamon Iberico de Bellota", etc, for "fancy cheese".
None of those things are pretentious, either. They may be things some people consume in a pretentious manner, but plenty of folks enjoy them simply because they have the opportunity to do so.

>2 years later user is a fat fuck and makes a thread crying about how he "fell for the burger meme" ie believed some shit some dumb person said

>then you just extend the meaning of the word to what you consider symbols of it,
And there's where the idiocy comes in. I'm aware that people often do that, but it is in fact idiotic.

>None of those things are pretentious, either. They may be things some people consume in a pretentious manner, but plenty of folks enjoy them simply because they have the opportunity to do so.

That was my entire point. I'm glad we agree.

Does anyone else think hamburger buns should be toasted? I do this all the time at home and it's such a simple thing to do, it makes an already good burger so much better.

I do. If you're grilling your patties then toast the buns on the grill. If you're cooking them in pan or on a flattop then toast the buns in a little of the leftover grease from cooking the patties (or bacon, if you are making bacon burgers).

What makes the burger 'junk' is the sum of its parts.
Firstly, we need to differentiate between different kinds of burgers. It is useless to treat a homemade burger with freshly ground beef and salad with a bigmac.
So we take the typical fast food burger. Its features are 1, low quality ground beef which is high in fat, 2 poor quality vegetables (not fresh, possibly gmo and not in large quantity), 3, processed cheese and 4, highly processed sugar laden bun. This kind of burger is extremely low in fibre and nutrients/vitamins and shit. There is a lot of fat and salt. Therefore for the calories and salt that you absorb, you get relatively low vitamins, nutrients and fibre and a large amount of fat. So it is generally not good for you. This is not taking into account condiments and sauces, which vary so much it is hard to be fair in judging them

Take the typical homemade burger. It has better quality minced beef, generally fresher vegetables (and generally more vegetables relative to meat and bun), the same processed cheese/condiments. However, the bun is quite different as it usually contains somewhat more fibre and a lot less added sugar and salt. So in general the homemade burger is junkish but not nearly as bad as the fast food style one.

You can take it a step further when preparing at home quite easily. Basically use a better quality bun and increase the vegetable ratio with extremely fresh vegetables, beef and decent quality cheese. Suddenly you have a burger that provides a decent amount of vitamins, fibre and nutrients with a lot less sugar and salt.

TL;DR homemade burgers when done right are not junk. Only a fucking moron who cannot cook thinks they are. As long as you prep them like a rational person you should get a relatively balanced meal. Further, it's the sides that really kill the burger, chips and cola and stuff.

>it is in fact idiotic.
It's more than that. It's that the middle class has the most rigorously self-policing set of social norms of any group in the country. Identifying things as pretentious is part of it. It's intentional misuse of the word. It's the same way they use the word normal to describe people like them. Work a straight job, send your kids to school, mow your lawn, go to church on Sunday and most importantly don't get above yourself. Fuck, they're still trying to decide if it's OK for men to drink wine.

You are spot on. Also I have found (and this is a big improvement on my already good burgers so i'm sharing this tip) that to toast the bun ever so slightly more than you think you should ups the quality like crazy.

Slightly overly toasted is a massive flavor bump. Found it by accident.

>American Education.

>>'Merican Education.

Fun Fact:

In the late 1990's the Oakland board of education created "Ebonics" as an actual English class just so they can get rid of and "graduate" all the 5th and 6th year Niggers who kept failing.

> On December 18, 1996, the Oakland Unified School District school board of Oakland, California, United States, passed a controversial resolution recognizing the legitimacy of Ebonics — what mainstream linguists more commonly term African American Vernacular English (AAVE) — as an African language. The resolution set off a firestorm of media criticism and ignited a national debate.

Now you understand why so many 'Merican kids come out of college without even being able to spell or use basic grammar.

"no child left behind" = We cater our schools to the lowest common denominator

I think its the sugar in the bread or perhaps the fat in the cheese and meat.

I hear American breads texture can be more like cake then bread. Would like to know if this is true.

Yeah, your standard store bought American pre-sliced breads and buns are sweet and have little texture.

Things are changing though, people are starting to appreciate more traditional types of bread.

The cancerous cooking oil seeped into the meat.

The cheap, low quality meat from badly fed cattle.

The cheap white flour bread, which is nearly devoid of nutrition.

But mostly the hydrogenated cooking oil is the problem.

You want natural high-smoke point frying oils like butter, animal fat, and coconut oil, and even then you want to fry quickly and lightly to avoid the carcinogens from burnt fat or meat.

How over-toasted we talkin'? I have when I let it go too far and get crumbs falling off (goes without saying toasting is still essential on my burger).

> 'Merican education
> Fun fact:
American schools are a festering cesspool of ignorance that lets faggots like you stagnate into shitposting NEETs who blame their under-employed, undersexed, faggot lives in Mom's basement on
>the fucking niggers, man

Oh, and not only are you a piece of shit, you're also a piece of shit, because you're in the wrong fucking board you goddamn faggot.

I can't wait until you get the ass beating that must be coming to a twat like you.

A hamburger isn't junk food on it's own.

Fast food chains gave it that reputation.

"I replace ALL of my salt intake with semen. Gotta keep that sodium low and that protein high."

I do not eat beefburgers.

if you put oil in a pan to cook a burger you are autistic and if thats your biggest problem just grill that bitch you dumb fuck

Wouldn't that then become "just right toasted"?

>medium rare thick patty
>pretzel bun
>provolone cheese
unironically the worst taste in burgers i have ever witnessed

>medium rare
Enjoy your food-borne illness, cuck.

Regardless of how sharp the cheddar is; I'm not sure how you think smoked bacon would detract from flavor any less so. Or pickles for that matter. Provolone is the best burger cheese aside from maybe emmentaler. There are other cheeses from the Chesire area though I don't know the name and haven't gotten a chance to try them with various breads and toppings.

I don't know what banana ketchup is but I get the general idea. I'd recommend trying a burger, bacon, peanut butter, and raw banana with your favored bun next time. It's magical.

>believing fat is bad
You've been played by the sugar industry

Have you ever thought that maybe, MAYBE both are bad ?

Neither are bad unless you are overeating them. This shit people keep pushing where an entire group of macronutrients are bad needs to fucking stop. Just use moderation.

My brain lives off of fat.
Whereas sugar is absolutely useless in any persons diet. absolutely no nutrition