Cook-A-Long: Sad Edition

Hey Veeky Forums, I'm not happy with my life and I want to do something to deal with thosw feelings, so I'm gonna do what I always do and cook something. Today I'm going for comfort food, but I also wanted to challenge myself so I'm making an elevated tomato soup and quesadillas. I've never made tomato soup from scratch so bear with me. I chose campari tomatoes because they're sweet, not very mealy, and they look a hell of a lot better than the sad romas the store had. I'm also adding shiitake mushrooms and fresh thyme to hopefully get a bright, satisfying taste that reminds me it's summer out there. Here we go.

Have you tried transitioning?

First, we get those mushrooms reconstituted. Should take about 30 minutes in this lukewarm water, which gives me time to get started on the tomatoes.

I would but my doctor told me my micropenis is literally too small to operate on.

Just waiting on the water to boil.

How are reconstituted shrooms as compared to fresh/supermarket-"fresh?"

I ain't waiting 30 minutes for ma food nigger, go get me a burger

Is that hard or soft water?

Tomatoes are prepped for boiling. I'm saving the stems for later on.

Good question. I'll find out soon.

I'm gonna eat all of this, none of it is for you silly.

What do I look like, some kinda pussy? Of course it's hard water.

Monitoring thread with interest

proceed. also feel better, gaylord.

You say you ain't some kinda pussy yet I don't see no meat in the photo! You're one of those nancy boys aintcha son.

Fuck off, I'm a man's man. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to pour myself some absinthe while the water comes to a boil.

TOMATOES
IN

>tfw also sad
>living the neet life at my parents house
>cooking and cleaning for them
>literally am become Dobby from Harry Potter

do you not have a slotted spoon?

Going nicely.

Kek.

Fuck, I forgot I totally do. Oh well, it literally doesn't matter.

ABSINTHE

IN

Update on Jap shrooms.
>captcha was Japanese street signs

Tomatoes look ready.

Ice bath. Just realized I should have cored them.

This is not working.

This is. I'll just ladel it back through the strainer.

Yeah that's not really working either. Guess I could pass it through my food processor?

Use a dirty dish cloth

Here goes everything.

squeeze it through a tea towel

Welp. Seeds are still there, but I bet I can filter them now.

I managed to get most of the seeds out with cheese cloth, but that was such a messy process I didn't get pictures, except of the aftermath. I think this is why campari aren't a common choice for soup and sauces.

Here's the tomato, adding homemade chicken broth.

Broth going in.

Now I'm chucking in the tomato stem and thyme. Supposedly the stem is the secret to a good, bright tomato flavor.

Looks thin, so I'm glad I reserved that half-spoiled tomato. I think I can salvage it and have some tomato chunks in the soup.

Looks edible enough.

>rustic

Now to add further body to the soup, I'm gonna put some onion through the food processor and add that.

Now it's pretty much paste, so that should help.

just add some cornstarch and be done with it

Strained the juice out, which made my eyes burn with the fury of a thousand suns.

Much like my life, this isn't quite turning out like I had hoped.

Adding some basalmic for acidity. Now about those mushrooms.

no dickered
no patti
why follow thread :(

They're kinda soggy desu.

No ones making you. I'm gonna sauté these in butter and hope for the best.

Looking good.

I'm not sticking around to see this fucking disaster when it is over. Worst god damn thread I've ever seen. Traggot OP didn't even core the tomatoes or sautee the onions. what's next, gonna pull out some dick wound crusty bread and dip like a stupid elementary grade dummy.

Yeah I did fuck it up didn't I? Oh well. The rest should go off without a hitch. Speaking of, the mushrooms got some black pepper and are now going in.

It's looking and sounding tasty, I'm in bed and now I want to raid the fridge, I have work in 8 hours, fucking hurry it up, I've been waiting for over an hour, don't expect a tip.

Lol okay. It actually is looking edible so that's good. Now I'll just sauté some of those sweet peppers and make quesadillas with them as filling while the soup simmers.

>Adding raw onion

aaaaaaand I'm out.

dat masculine facial and chest hair

10/10 would invite ya for a bbq at the house while our kids play in the pool

Peppers are getting done with black pepper and chili powder.

>kids
H-ha, I totally have those. Oh look the peppers are done!

Quesadilla layering:
>tortilla
>Mexican cheese
>sweet peppers
>Valentina hot sauce
>more cheese
>fold over

Hnnnnggggg.

Well, it's done. Could have been worse.

The soup tastes surprisingly good, but the mushrooms are a bit chewy. Still flavorful though. The quesadillas turned out great as expected. I feel a bit better about myself.

Looks good, OP.

-1 points for lack of meat protons though.

I did have chicken broth in the soup. That plus the mushrooms and the cheese is enough protein for me.

>washing your mushrooms

they were dehydrated and came in a sealed bag you dip. He had to soak them in water to re hydrate them. Did you not even read through the thread or look at the photos?

I applaud your effort to make a legitimate cooking thread, sir. However I must sat it doesn't look that great. Not terrible, mind you, but still pretty meh.