Grilled Lettuce

Is this actually good? There's a Hells Kitchen episode where Gordon gets served it and he mocks it in front of the whole restaurant who also laugh at the idea.

But when I google it, there are a ton of recipes for it. I've got some romaine lettuce to use up, so is this worth trying?

youtube.com/watch?v=KDjBEY_3qCI

It'd be pretty good with olive oil and salt

To me leaf lettuce just doesn't have much of a taste on its own so no. Lettuce is just a conduit to deleiver dressings and toppings to your mouth that would otherwise be weird to eat by themselves

It is soggy lettuce. Always.
The only acceptable way I can think of serving that and charging for it is if it's grilled like in OPs pic and then hearts removed. But then you're stuck with hearts that aren't cut and you have to chop through them with your cutlery. Bullshit. And vaguely grilled flavored lettuce. Why?

Stop eating (((iceberg))) lettuce

you meant ice(((berg))) lettuce

About as stupid a concept as cob salad.

I prefer grilled red cabbage. It has better flavor and texture than most store lettuces that are available here. Though red cabbage is rarely in stores here so I have to grow it myself.

a mild smoke flavor with a nice vinaigrette doesn't sound that bad

so this is the ingenuity of america...... woah

these

Those are fucking massive, they need to be half the size

I did it with bok choy
Was dank

bok choy is cabbage

i cook lettuce all the time. if gordon ramsay has a problem with it he needs a bit more experience in the kitchen. you can braise it or puree it or whatever like any other vegetable, it has a flavour, and is not just destined by god to be salad.

more like GARbage

This was such BS when I saw it. I looked it up, and Gordon served (still serves?) grilled lettuce in his restaurants.

actually it is pretty good when done properly. just grill it hard and fast.
i think i had it once with olive oil and salt, once with some sort of white dressing (perhaps caesar)

actually, i just remember the dressing was some sort of dijonmayo

you can also boil it. Asians eat it with oyster sauce. Like a side

>gordon ramsey
>needs a bit more experience in the kitchen

>Jewish psyop reaction images
Interdasting

grilled lettuce is fine. better with something like romaine rather than iceberg.

Cooked belgian endive is a great laxative.:D

Why not grill romaine lettuce with some tomatoes and onions and then blend into a sauce? I think it'd be p gud

you heard me.

Fucking Gordon always talks shit on plenty of cooking techniques that are established things, just for the sake of making fun of people on TV. This grilled lettuce is one, another is the kitchen nightmares where the chef is putting coke in his BBQ sauce for ribs, and on Masterchef one time he grilled someone about you should NEVER EVER mix cheese with seafood (what is tuna bake, tuna melt, lobster thermidor, shrimp n grits etc)

Granted all these incidents involved people cooking badly but he makes it out like the whole concept is wrong which he knows is BS

From what I remember of the episode wasn't he making fun of it because he ordered a grilled caeser salad and they grilled the lettuce in the salad instead of the meat?

On the barbecue, for just a minute, with olive oil, salt, pepper and balsamic vinegar.

He's makes it seem like he's afraid of new things. He always talks about how everything should be rustic and seemple.

It can be great if it's done well. Brings out the sweetness of the lettuce and adds a nice smoky flavor as well. Needs to be done properly and done to a fairly sturdy lettuce though, most won't hold up to that treatment, and the grill needs to be ripping hot so you get that char before you cook the inside of the lettuce too much and create a soggy texture. Should be like 90% raw with some char/caramelization to the outer surfaces.

Yeah there's definitely been a few times he's lambasted people for doing something and I've been genuinely perplexed as to why.

Hell's Kitchen US is a trash show for trash people.

I'm 1000% sure I saw Ramsay SERVE cooked lettuce on one of his UK shows back when he made shows with actual cooking in, way before he went to the US to become a reality tv star/professional dom to your entire trash nation.

It's for the views

Will it be as good if I do it on a cast iron grill pan?

Quit being a faggot, Jamie Oliver