Is cacti edible?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xfQ2vhA97A0
youtube.com/watch?v=d4KPWOUkbw8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yes.

Thank you

*are cacti edible
It's plural so you use are rather than is.
No need to thank me.

Yes, tuna season just started, and slightly pickled nopales are excellent with steak.

What does is taste like?

Depends on the cactus.

Some are poisonous.

Some are delicious.

Slimy grass

tunas are amazing

better than green beans yo. served with lots of avocado, onions, and olive oil theyre pretty good.

Tuna tastes like pomegranates, but not as sweet, nopales are kind of like green beans, but more acidic due to the pickling.
Can be, if you a shit at cooking.

these little shits are amazing and i wish i could find them in the u.s.

Shut up nerd

Travel south young man. Every store around me carries them, which is crazy because the grow like weeds in every ditch for 200 miles.

And drinkable

I'm mostly asking because I'm going to the USA soon.

Any border state will have them available.

many are, you just removes the spines unless you enjoy that shit in your mouth and then hanging yourself.

most euphorbia are not edible and a bad thing to eat. rough rule of thumb is if you cut it and it bleeds white, leave it alone.

use to get em in a jar dona maria is less sodium than goya

I would drain the jar and use with peppers.

knew a mexican that made burrito's with fresh cactus yet don't have mex marts near me thankfully. ha

Thank you, I will try to remember that.

If you want a real treat, try these prickly pear fruit. They're widely available all over the country at a reasonable price (or at least they used to be until we entered the orange phase of the moon) in any spic market.

They taste kind of like an earthier slimy green bean

Fuck yeah I have my own cactus which has them growing(it's like 2 meters tall and 3 meters wide) on it and they are green reddish and taste fucking godlike.

I tried cooking it once. It tastes like absolute garbage. It's like a worse, more astringent version of green beans except you have to spend literally hours to take the prickers off. Never again.

Some are. Some are incredibly bitter to the point of inedibility. Some are toxic.

Hey, thanks Mr. Nerd

Got 20 of these for $2 on sale recently. Pretty gud

Helpful tips for anglos who never tried this fruit before(also applies to guavas): chew slowly. The seeds are hard and should be crushed with your molars.

Look for them in Mexican grocery stores if you live in a bigger city or have a town with a lot of mexicans.

No matter how well they're cleaned/pruned, millions of invisible thorns will lodge into my hands and make me miserable for days

Have you tried wearing gloves?

I really shouldn't need to wear gloves for something a store expects me to pick up with my bare hands

You will learn

Well hmmm, if your smart then you will learn, and before too long if your smart and lucky should you take hints well

So you wear gloves to the grocery store just so you can pick up some prickly pear fruit without getting thorns in your hands?

I just turn the bag inside out and use the bag to pick them up.

*Cactuses
*Cactusus

Your grocery store will provide gloves, if they aren't Jews, if they are , dumb gringo.

this right here.
same thing you do when you shop for hot peppers.

is cactuses for eatable?

How does it taste like?

Watery/slimy green beans.

Yes.

Buy them dethorned and precut from Mexican supermarkets or buy a bunch of fresh paddles from a farmers market, or do what my grandma did and have a bunch growing wild in her backyard. The way she did them was you get the greener younger paddles, about the size of you hand or smaller, the older ones are much tougher and dont taste as well, remove the thorns with a knoife and cut them into little squares, boil them in water with some salt until they turn a dark dull green, then change the water they're in and let them sit for a few minutes, this will reduce the sliminess, toss that water in a strainer, then put then in a cup, keep them in the fridge, I always do and I just grab a couple spoonfuls and put that into my omelet every morning, or if I'm making soup or a stew Ill toss a couple spoonfuls of them into that too.

I always made tea, myself

I bought some of these the other day and have no idea how to eat them. I opened one, seemed to have a huge solid core, and the little "meat" I could scrape tasted like nothing

I want to try and make cactus wine.

Is that peruvian torch?

Peyote is getting hard to find were I live, so I've been thinking of ordering some PT. Is tea easy to make? Can't you just eat some cuttings?

Yes they're called "Napales" en espaƱol and they're kind of a side green. Like how you'd use bell pepper. It's pretty good, has a unique taste

>reddit spacing
kys

That there is san pedro

The tea is vile, and the point is that you reduce it as long as you can stand to so it's as concentrated as possible. I mean you could probably chow down on it but it would be nasty and it would take a while. I think I've read that some people did it successfully though.

Here's how you make the tea, or at least to my understanding, except I've attempted it twice and only got mild effects
Acquire cactus, 12" to 24" depending on how deep you wanna go
Separate all the cactus from the woody core
Discard woody core
Chop pieces a bit, just making them smaller
Blend it (needles and all)
Put in stock pot, add water 2:1 bring to a boil
Simmer for like 12 fukken hours stirring often so you don't burn it, until you have like a cup of liquid
Filter through cheesecloth or an old shirt or whatever

I think I actually burnt it, and that the cactus wasn't that potent to begin with

I want to try again but right now I work too much and don't have the time

oh right, I guess you add some water before blending it

captcha is fucking me hard tonight so I'm probably just gonna stop posting anyways...

Sounds like you got a shitty one or the wrong kind. The skin should be easy to peel off and the core should be a delicious, juicy mix of watermelon texture and honeydew flavor. Just lots of annoying seeds that mean you should chew slow.

It must be interesting being lame enough to notice nonsense and making a fuss about it

I wonder what it must be like to be perfect like you

It can be. But don't ever drink the cactus water like you've seen in western films. It's practically poison.

youtube.com/watch?v=xfQ2vhA97A0

sure
youtube.com/watch?v=d4KPWOUkbw8