Can you boil Salt Pork?

Yesterday I pan seared then boiled some salt pork for about two hours hours. But then I got the runs later that night. What did I do wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=r1RklpMZBrc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

did you boil it for 2 hours and eat it on it's own?

seems like an odd choice for a snack

I boiled it in soysauce and sugar. I followed this recipe.
youtube.com/watch?v=r1RklpMZBrc
Did I do something wrong? Were the runs unrelated to the meal?

yeah... fatty pork will do that to some people.

It's a bunch of salt and fat. Use it in collard greens

this. especially if it's something you aren't used to.

but did that recipe really have you boil it for 2 hours? Seems like over kill for something that's already cured. Just fry it

Two hours? That would make sense if it were a country cured ham, but not for your pic.

So I didn't cook it wrong I just can't tolerate all the salt and fat? Seems reasonable. I didn't eat all of it at once because it was very salty.

Yep. You put it in a rice cooker and it boils for and hour and then you boil it again with the soysauce added for another hour. It tasted delicious but I guess I'm not used to lots of salt. I guess I'll continue to eat it slowly.

>pan seared then boiled
>pan seared then boiled
>seared
>then boiled
>SEARED FIRST
>THEN BOILED

It's God punishing you for being a piece of shit, by giving you the shits, you shitter

I followed a recipe

And why pray tell did this recipe inform you to SEAR the meat and then WASH AWAY THE SEAR AND PROTEIN CHAINS IT FORMED WITH A WET COOK? Boil THEN sear! Boil THEN sear! You lose the texture and flavor of the maillard reaction if you sear then boil!

Sometimes recipes are wrong.

You did nothing wrong. Salt pork is a natural diarrhetic due to the curing process. Better to use it as a base for a soup and eat it like that. And yes, you can boil it.

>What did I do wrong?

Probably too much salt, dude.

The way to eat salt pork is to either soak it in water, or boil it, to remove the excess salt used to cure it, then fry it / whatever. It's the same thing you do with country hams.

The only time you wouldn't want to soak it is when you're using it as a seasoning agent itself for meals like beans, collards, or whatever.

>Boil THEN sear!

Nope.

Not if you want to create a broth. The seared meats add color AND flavor to any broth you make.

How long to soak if you wanna make bacon out of it?

Salt pork is supposed to be used as a seasoning, not a meal. Unless you live in a place where you are roughing it in snow and freezing temperature a lot.

That's completely up to who made it and your taste. Slice it into strips, then give it a half hour in cold water in the fridge, dry it, and fry it, and see how that works out for you.

thanks famzini. I could probably smoke it after soaking & drying too right?

I got the runs just watching that.

Too much fat.

It's supposed to be pork belly but they don't have that at my grocery store. I won't make the mistake again

Church.

No, fatty pork gives me the shits too. Same with breakfast sausage.

Do you even have a gallbladder? The only people I know of who get diarrhea from pork fat don't have gallbladders.

I do, as far as I know. Maybe it's on the fritz.

Get the oil changed

You fucking fool.
Simmered pork is not SALTED PORK.
You just make it with PLAIN PORK BELLY.

also, you don't boil, you SIMMER.
They're using a fuzzy logic rice cooker in that video.

You fucked up.

That video shows using bacon. Salt Pork is dry cured instead of wet-cured and smoked like bacon. You normally either:
1. Use a small amount for rendering fat for cooking something else and adding flavor or
2. Soak it or boil it in water for a while to remove most of the salt. Then, it is basically a really fatty panchetta.

The real question is, was it good? As others have said, fatty pork can give you the shits if you are not used to it.

Both salt pork or bacon could be cured via either method.

Traditionally they are both dry-cured. Bacon being wet-cured is a modern shortcut to make it cheaper to produce in a factory. Good quality bacon is always dry-cured. The cheap supermarket crap? Most likely injected with flavored water instead.

Guys please stop bumping this thread. I got my answers. Thanks, everyone.

It uses pork belly. It was good. Just too salty.