Cheese

No cheese thread? I'm honestly dissapointed /cock/.

I'm planning on going to Murray's in Manhattan to pick up an epoisses. You guys have any advice on them in particular? I've read washed-rind cheeses deteriorate quickest and that in general the softer the cheese the faster it goes bad. I'm looking at a 2 hour commute by public transit in humid 80s. I can bring ice packs and a lunchbox and pick up my cheese right before I head home.

Do you guys think they'll let me sample an eppoisses to avoid carrying an opened one home? And I'd appreciate any recommendations for sampling I should try. My favorite cheeses so far are strong like truffle injected and blue.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VR3DSO5vBrQ&t=9s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

PLEASE respond

I'm also interested in wine and fruit pairings.

Do I have to be concerned about nuts in cheese? I have a non-lethal allergy to all nuts.

forgot pic

Cottage cheese and quark is the only cheese I need in life.

You might like Burrata. It's like Mozarella but it's a pouch filled with curds and cream.

UGGGHHH GUYS WHY IS THERE NO THREAD FOR WHAT I WANT UUUUUUUUUGH WHY DO I HAVE TO MAKE IT LITERALLY JUST GOOOOOOOOD WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU

I'm reading the cheese thread from two days ago in the archive and holy shit you guys can get autistic. I think I'm better off asking the shop lmao

YOU should be okay. Epoisses is my favorite.

>No cheese thread?
See
its a 'cheese' thread.

>holy shit you guys can get autistic

Would highly recommend trying out Le Crémier de Chaumes if you ever have the opportunity to do so. Have friends over because I suggest eating the whole thing once you cut into it. The cheese changes texture over night when cut open. This is one tasty creamy cheese. In the mass produced category, I would rate it at least 9/10

You're worried about 2 hours? Lol

Also, go to warehouse wines a few blocks away and pick up some scratch & dent bottles of fancy wine for a song and dance

Just watch out for corked and heat damaged bottles. You can't tell without drinking them so it's buyer beware. That's what makes the place fun. Or extremely stressful if you can't handle surprises, but if you can't handle surprises you'd probably be more of a beer drinker, MUH HOPS

Just ate Limburger for the first time today.
I only recently got into stinky cheeses, love St.Albray but Limburger was a bit too much for me, maybe I should have eaten less at once but I definitely enjoyed the flavor.

"Protip": If a cheese is too strong for you and you don't wanna throw the piece you've already started eating away, just microwave it for a few seconds and then try again.

I tried that before. The bacteria that makes it stinky started to colonize and spread from my finger tips to the rest of my hand on my left hand. It took me 3 days of soap, bleach, and scrubbing to get rid of it. Fuck that shit. It is the worst stink I've smelled that is supposed to be, "like feet". Yeah, well no foot I've ever smelled was like that. I'm just glad I didn't scratch my balls before realizing what was going on.

Yes, bring ice packs/cooler, you should be able to find a place that sells ice there too, if needed. That's only for cheeses that need refrigerated. The ones that are room temp don't need it.

I wanna make ricotta, what is whey useful for?

gainz

>americans think St Albray is a stinking cheese
>americans actually microwave their cheese before eating it

Jesus.

>promotes pasteurized meme cheese with no history
>makes fun of americans
Nigga please. Im french btw

wow weve got some rrrreeeeal casuals here. not a single person wanting calcium deposits in their cheese.

>Do you guys think they'll let me sample an eppoisses to avoid carrying an opened one home?

Why are you asking us instead of just calling them and asking? That way you get an instant, accurate, answer rather than waiting for a bunch of tendie-loving basement dwellers to hopefully answer you.

And yes, any reputable cheese shop will let you taste samples.

epoisses seems to be a bit of a hit an miss. first time I bought it it smelled rank but it was amazingly good. the second one was from a different brand and was nowhere near in flavour, more like an ordinary camembert and pretty rubbery to boot. it was a serious disappointment

some other washed rind cheeses i can recommend are reblochon, herve, chaumes and remoudou but all are much milder

>>americans actually microwave their cheese before eating it

Suck my hariy nipple, piece of shit racist yourofaggot.

Port wine and scotch (NO FUCKING BOURBON!) for strong cheeses in general.
Ardbeg 10/Laphroaig QC/Talisker/Lagavulin is perfect for bleue cheese like Roquefort, Castello Blue or Stilton. Also awesome with Mimolette and Beemster extra old.
Glendronach/Edradour/Bunnahabhain pairs well with epoisses and other washed rind cheeses.

>pears
>grapes
>figs
>nuts
>chestnuts
>olives

I can attest to that! Try it on some French bread and apricot jam.

Treat yourself to a cheesy faggot!

Absolutely disgusting

said your mother after she gave birth to you.

>any reputable cheese shop will let you taste samples.
Not an eppoisses.

I've never found anywhere that imports French bread, I assume it's not practical.
We have got a baker a few blocks away though.

I have tasted epoisses at Murray's. Zimbro as well.

Now maybe it was some special thing they were doing?

French style you sperghead; of course it's not going be imported from actual France. Good bread goes bad too quickly for that to be practical. Maybe back when "Le Condorde" was still flying you might have some luck if your buddy picked it up in Paris right before he got on the plane to visit you in NYC but otherwise...nope. Get it from a local baker.

Thanks for clarifying that you triggered, weeaboo retard.

Hey OP I work at a restaurant that has a cheese cart and we offer cheese before dessert courses. Since you like epoisses I'd recommend affidelice, kind of a milder nuttier epoisses with a firmer texture that doesnt ripen quite as quickly. What kinda cheese are you into?

He didn't seem triggered at all, you're just a fucking idiot.

Made me laugh.
It was a good setup, executed well.
Not Super Bowl quality but a very competent weeb troll.

>weeaboo
>no mention of Japan at all

The gay animu pic accompanying his post would say otherwise, retard.

I posted . I did not post

Jesus you seem a bit hostile, are you a woman by chance?

Just leave it, man.
It ain't worth it.

Gouda is amazing.

I was posting at 4 am because insomnia lmao. Of course I'll call and ask in person as well.

I've only gotten into normalfag deli cheeses and in the past double creme brie at BJ's. I had a taste of an epoisses when I was a child and never forgot it so for years now I've been trying to find the taste again in the deli, obviously to no avail. Though my favorites would be provolone and swiss. I recently tried some bleu and truffle injected that I really loved, moreso the bleu, so now I'm breaking the crust into fine cheese. I'm going to ask to try some of the strongest Murray's has and pick up their Burrata and some Camembert too. Maybe some Roquefort and Limburger.

For storage though I'm thinking of a large tupperware or plastic-lidded box with some holes in it and wrapping the cheeses in the cheesemongler's paper, and then aluminum foil around it. Paper towels under the Burrata. And then the whole thing into a high humidity crisper drawer that I'll wash beforehand.

I like to pair kraft singles with miller genuine draft

Are you supposed to eat the rind (or whatever the outer white layer is supposed to be) on brie? Just a cheese pleb and the inside was good, the outside was like weird cardboard?

>weeaboo
you need to gb2Reddit and stay there forever, you subhuman normietrash.

>normie
You don't actually know what that means do you?
I'll give you a clue, it has nothing to do with hating animu.

It has everything to do with hating animu on Veeky Forums.
Go ahead and talk shit about Yotsuba, you subhuman Redditumblr normieturd and see what happens.

Incorrect.
Lurk moar, newfag.

>yotsuba
Literally the worst anime.
Kiyohiko Azuma is a pedophile anyway.

Now you have done it, faggot. Enjoy your ban.

>Literally the worst anime
That would be Sailor Moon, user.

reported ^_^

Holy Fuck, the weebs are losing their shit today!

hello doggo

Woof.

whats a good cheese to go with some dark bread?

I know this is a very dumb question and I'm not a cheese connoisseur, but when you eat these fancy cheese, what do you eat them with?
Do you just eat it plain or do you put it on bread or something?

You're 100% supposed to eat it. I'll never understand how people can even think of not eating the rind of bloomy rind cheeses like brie or camembert.

Cheese cart guy here. Try to find some forum d'ambert. It's a cows milk bleu with a lovely budget texture without the super sharp nose character of roquefort.
Echourgnac Is a lovely washed rind cheese with some onion in the palette and a springy, swiss like texture.
Also look for some goats milk brie because I think it's so much better than cows milk.

Forum d'ambert has a lovely fudgey* texture
I almost forgot about montbriac. One of my top 3 cheeses by far. Possibly #1. Blue veined, vegetable ash coated cows milk cheese. Think of cows brie but better. Mushroomy, meady, and fucking delicious.

Was it just too stinky or did it have a strong ammonia smell/flavor?

In Gouda they are tyrosine crystals

Fruits, nuts, olives, breads, crackers, charcuterie & alcohol or cooked into a recipe depending on the cheese

It can be disrespectful not to. One of the biggest cheese crimes at formal gatherings is to cut the tip of the good part off, leaving the rind for everyone else. There's been times I've seen a horrifying hollowed-out crust of a brie. It makes you feel like you've been given someone's garbage like an apple core. If it's your piece go ahead though.

Thank chum. Working as a cheese cart guy sounds pretty fun.

I'm , not .

By French bread, I just meant any kind of crusty bread you like. It's just another name for baguette over here.

For a great gourmet experience, pair your fat and salty cheese testure with something sweet, sour and nutty.

My personal favourites:
- fruity wine or beer
- figs
- pears
- dried dates
- apricot jam
- almonds
- raisins or grapes

Le Crémier de Chaumes on French bread with apricot jam sounds like a good pairing. Will try.

Which is the best Tomme cheese?

Are you supposed to eat the rind?

Maybe this can help?

Hope that helps.

>goats milk brie

Please. Why are foreigners so obsessed with Brie? If it's not made with cow's milk in the Brie region then, it's not Brie. Just call it "bloomy rind goat cheese" or something.

You can eat most hard cheeses like Comté, Beaufort, Gruyère etc... on their own as a snack.
Otherwise, any type of quality, artisan made bread with a crispy crust will do. A good baguette is the best imo and goes with
everything.
Eating gourmet cheese with shit bread or crackers can really ruin the experience so you should choose your bread wisely.

It varies. Just ask your cheese monger to make you test some of them before buying. Sheep milk tommes from the Pyrenees like Ossau-Iraty are my favorite personally.

>Why are foreigners so obsessed with Brie?
It's relatively bland and the name is easy to pronounce.

Yes fuck you.

Its also the normiest fancy cheese.

Yes you'll be fine, pair with a tart white wine and dry fruit as it is quite a salty and pungent cheese.

What's the red thing third from the left on the bottom row?

There's not much ammonia in a washed rind
It's b.linens mold that grows on washed rind, the same stuff that shower scum is. That's why it's the same color.

I work in a shop that sells brie and I still meet people every day who struggle with pronouncing it

This. It's like Kleenex tissue paper. They also refer to almost every hard cheese as cheddar in the anglo-sphere or ask if the

Ossau-iratay is fucking awesome. So are the rest of your opinions

I HATE the average American cheese customer. Seems about 1 in 10 have any knowledge or opinion worth fuck all.

I was lurking here while at work and figured I'd share a pic of some beautiful truffle infused cheese I made

I want to learn to make cheese oneday.

I was watching this guy's videos. I never made cheese, but he seems to know what he's talking about.
youtube.com/watch?v=VR3DSO5vBrQ&t=9s

It kinda made me want to start making some cheese.

Yeah it is really not that hard just follow a recipe like any other cooking. If you wanna make an aged cheese just make sure you have a 50-60°F spot to keep it for a couple months. Preferably on a wood board, and turn it once in a while. Aged cheese recipes have roughly an 80% gallon to pound yield ratio so a couple of gallons of un homogenized raw milk should yield about a pound and a half of cheese. Bloomy rind and washed rind cheeses are about the same. I don't recommend washed rind for the home cheese maker. That's a lot of funk for where you sleep. Mozzarella, ricotta, cottage cheese, and yogurts offer instant gratification and are a good place to start.

Dude... when going to a Cheese place, your allready paying for their expert knowledge

What kind of dark bread? Wholewheat, ryebread, ...
I'd recommend having it crusty and slightly toasted.

>forum d'ambert
"Fourme".

plain/with bread/with pound cake/with a fruit

I used to live in the Netherlands and we would always buy the 5 year aged Gouda, shit is fucking amazing

>/cock/
Someone should probably break the news to OP.

You're preparing for a picnic. You're bringing
>Cheese
>Bread
>Cured meat
>Fruit
What do you bring?

Who am I with? That's important information. Also what's the season/temperature going to be like?