Wine thread

I know this will probably devolve into shitflinging and nonsense within about 3 posts, but here goes anyway. Wine thread! What are your favorites? What have you been enjoying lately? What are you looking forward to drinking? What are you curious to try? Most enjoyable wine and food pairing you've experienced? Whatever you want as long as it's about wine.

People who only want to start new world vs old world or country vs country flamewars, or talk about how nice things are a scam REEEE, this may not be the place for you.

Went to a wine tasting the other night with wines from the Jura region of France and was pleasantly surprised. I could tell the somm was geeking out over it and greatly enjoying its obscure reputation but was nice to be introduced to something that I would never have considered. Vin Jaune reminded me of port and was really out there in terms of what I usually expect from white wine. The reds were super light and pleasant.

Pic is another Jura white from the tasting which was also wonderful

I love this shit. For £6 a bottle, it tastes great and is always consistent. Pure fun in a bottle

I know almost nothing about wine but I love a nice bold cotes du rhone, or malbec. Other than that there is a very nice rose in a cool shaped bottle that is very good. Cotes du provence or something or other.

based

What is the thickest wine available? I've tried port and it's far too viscous. Looking for something I tried ages ago that I'm beginning to believe doesn't exist. Roughly milk-tier thickness if memory serves. It was red.

Anyone else /boxwine/ here and don't give a fuck because you're poor?

not orange jubilee

Vin jaune is one of my favorites honestly. If you can find a good bottle of Chateau Chalon (a grand cru of vin jaune), especially with some age on it since vin jaune ages really well, it's super worth it.

If you're into that you'd also probably like dry fortified wine like fino/manzanilla sherry (develops a head space in the barrel and creates a coating of yeast on top of the wine, as vin jaune does) or sercial/verdelho madeira. You might also like orange wine- the stuff out of Venezia Friuli Giulia is especially good, as is much of the stuff from Georgia. It's not so much that it's super close in flavor to vin jaune, although there are definitely similarities, as that it's another super interesting, complex, unusual wine with a lot of kinda savory character to it. Radikon Oslavje out of Friuli is probably my favorite of that category.

any merlot, cabernet, or malbec

Generally very sweet wines will be the most viscous. Ice wine was the first thing I thought of, but ice wine is very rarely red, I feel like you'd remember if that was what it was.

Maybe banyuls? Or vin santo / passito? Or recioto della valpolicella?

fucking disgusting. I can't believe how shit this board is now with you degenerates. Banana red is the best

Pinot Noir is easily my favorite for a red protein and a good Chard is my go-to for a white protein.

I'm not going to drop labels or brands because fuck that. But that's how I roll with food. If I'm JUST drinking wine I'm less binary and will drink others.

Where do you live? If it's already cold in early September that's super shitty.

That said, Rioja is always a good pick. You can get a pretty incredible quality to price ratio going that route.

>sperg out about Americans
>get banned
Wow what shitty mods

Downstate NY, New York County to be exact. It's about 370 miles south of Montreal.

I have no idea where I got this cold, I'm never sick. It's pissing me off but it's been a good year and a half since I had anything, so I might as well get this out of the way

>a red protein
liquidate yourself

That sucks but a year and a half with nothing is pretty decent, bound to happen eventually. Hope you get over it quickly.

Have a bottle of Domaine Marc Sorrel Hermitage 'Le Greal' 1998 that I've been dying to open for a while. Hopefully soon.

Been drinking this lately, total wine had it on special. Really good desu. Full ripe flavor with complex spice.

Just tried a 19 Crimes Shiraz for the first time - its a bit like a more herbal Zin. I really enjoyed it although it's a bit sweet for red meat imho. Usually jive with some of the obscure Languedoc shit but thought I'd try something new.

This wine's great when mixed with fanta lemon and lots of ice

I usually go with Alion to mix with fanta, inb4 captain butthurt bans me again and deletes all posts