Rice cookers

what would be your recommendation for a rice cooker? I cook so much rice that i think it would be a solid investment, in addition to the other things it can be used for.

cheap is ideal, but I realize that you gotta spend a certain amount to get good quality.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B007WQ9YNO/ref=asc_df_B007WQ9YNO5157904/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B007WQ9YNO&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167155690034&hvpos=1o5&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13893867989834743581&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001989&hvtargid=pla-308446476130
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>you gotta spend a certain amount to get good quality.

Do you? What are you looking for in a rice cooker?

I have one of these, 8 cup capacity. Bought it uhhhhh 12 years ago-ish for maybe $15. Still works great, never felt a need to upgrade.

fuck me I'm bad at attaching images

>What are you looking for in a rice cooker?
i just want to cook rice and i don't want to do it in a dollar store device that will shit up my rice and break in a month

your suggestion seems pretty solid though, gonna check it out. thanks user.

i have this and it kinda sucks, inspired me to quit being a lil bitch and just learn how to properly make rice on the stove

at work we use a big industrial steamer and it's pretty magical, costs a few grand tho

Make sure you get one with a locking lid. A proper rice cooker is a type of pressure cooker. If it doesn't have a locking lid it's just an electric pot.

I had an Oyama, 6 cup I think. It had a locking lid, stainless pot, steamer tray and a real simple on/off timer. Was great for rice, lentils, oats and hard cooked eggs among other things.

Also check the thrift stores. There's always rice cookers for cheap at the thrift store.

Get a Zojirushi, National, or Tiger. The absolute cheapest pushbutton models work if you're a NEET, but coming home to just-cooked perfect rice more than justifies at least a midrange model like the NS-TSC10.

Anons will try to sell you on slaving over a saucepan for 30 minutes every night and eating crusty-ass rice, or using American brands that are intended to reheat Uncle Ben's and burn half of a good koshihikari, to save $100. Don't listen to them, there's a reason almost every household in Japan and urban China has one of those three brands.

2 years ago i thought i needed a rice cooker so i got a nice one. it has sat in the cupboard for roughly the last 1 year and 9 months unused because its easier to just get a pan out and use that instead.

I made a cake in a rice cooker once. Came out pretty good, nice and moist.

thanks for your input.

can these brands be used for things other than rice? I've come across a few recipes lately that recommend using rice cookers for something other than rice

>slaving over a saucepan for 30 minutes every night and eating crusty-ass rice
I still don't understand what's so difficult for some people about making rice on the stove

They almost definitely steam, and the midrange will do things like specific brown/wild rice modes up to cake and sometimes yogurt or bread.
If they latch, there are a bunch of not pressure cooker per se but essentially pressure cooking recipes like takikomi.

It's an annoyance and focus-hog that, if you nail perfectly which you won't even as an actual Chinese granny, will be no better than I get by pressing a button. No one from a first world culture where it's a staple food bothers, any more than Americans opt out of buying a fridge just because they technically can drive to the grocery store every day after work. Only NEETs insist on it, because they don't value their time at all and need that half-hour distraction from the suicidal thoughts.

But all you need to do it get it boiling, turn down the heat and wait ~20 minutes, in which time you can make whatever you're going to eat with it. Don't get me wrong rice cookers are really convenient but I just argue the idea that rice comes out worse on the stove.

by a good japanese brand, but don't necessarily get the most features. just anything with stainless steel (not aluminum) basin and with auto shut off.

>press a button and get easy rice
or
>spend 30 minutes and risk not getting it right
gee boss, it's a tough choice

I have a digital Zojirushi cooker and it's honestly the only kitchen gadget I use every week besides my mandoline. Just use the measuring cup for servings then fill to the line and press start. If has different settings for different rice and a steamer tray for vegetables while the rice is cooking. Then it plays a song when it's finished.

Honestly just make sure you get a real jap one that has a keep warm feature, I believe even the cheap Zojirushis have it

>cheap is ideal, but I realize that you gotta spend a certain amount to get good quality

Nah. There's a huge price gap between one button models compared to fuzzy logic types. I used basically this for a decade and it made decent rice; then I bought a Zojirushi for 10x the price, and have never cooked rice in anything else (except at work).

The one button models are actually better for doing things other than cooking rice, but my Zojirushi makes next level rice, and is convenient as fuck.

Oh, and no, ((you)) can't make rice on the stove as good as my rice cooker, so don't bother trying to claim that shit.

I got a $30 rice cooker for $20 on sale at target. It cooks rice while steaming vegetables and frozen dumplings. It's everything I could want, I have no motivation to upgrade it.

>$30 rice cooker
Probably has a pot lid and definitely makes rice inferior to a pot. Get a real rice cooker

amazon.com/dp/B007WQ9YNO/ref=asc_df_B007WQ9YNO5157904/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B007WQ9YNO&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167155690034&hvpos=1o5&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13893867989834743581&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001989&hvtargid=pla-308446476130

this shit is cheap bitch

just start frequenting your local second hand store like Salvation army etc.

9 times out of 10 there is a rice cooker there. usually not anything fancy but it also usually under $5
i reccomend that for all your kitchen stuff/gadgets. if you just check for a good/higher end brand you can leave with something worth much much more than you payed for. i recently picked up a mid range pressure cooker for $10, an immersion blender for $3 and a good honing rod for $1. those places are godsends because most people who work in them don't know a good brand from a bad one for stuff like kitchen supplies

must spend money on glorious Nippon Rice cooker the all steel body has been folded over a million times to optimize heat distribution

asian reporting in, ive had a tiger rice cooker for years and they are pretty good, cost about 200-300 bucks i think but its legit, rice fit for a gook, ours is old as fuck but still goes hard

Literally paid $20 for my rice cooker. Non stick bowl, steamer basket, and has auto off when rice is done.

This. My family came to the US before fuzzy logic so we always used the one-button, for decades. Then I got a Zojirushi in the 2000s and as soon as my other relatives experienced it everyone switched immediately.

When it comes to rice cookers, ignore Indians and white people.

If you need an additional appliance to cook rice you're actually retarded. Fyi

>don't stir rice
>rice burns on bottom of pot

rice cookers are fucking nasty and cook very bad rice

I use a thermal cooker I made. You bring the rice to a boil then pop it into the thermal cooker. The retained heat cooks the rice without need for extra heat. There's no scorching, ever. I use it for everything from rice to stews. I made a new one that has enough room for 2 stock pots and doesn't use towels.

>really old pic

>larger one.

>he feels superior because he willfully makes things less convenient for himself
Every Asian family in existence uses a rice cooker. Who are you hoping to impress?

Are you kidding, Veeky Forums probably has the highest concentration of pretentious hipsters than any other board. They get super pissed when you call them out on it.

He probably cooks for 1 and doesn't know how only 4 burners on the standard range top sucks. Or, how time is limited.

I have an instant pot, it's perfect tbqh.

It spends half the time sitting off the heat with the lid on. What's the difficult part

You don't even need a rice cooker, as long as you're doing it right. A rice cooker is convenient, but unless you're putting down some dosh for a good one you might as well continue cooking rice in a pot (preferably a cast iron one)

The secret is the pressure. That's why in jiro dreams of sushi, he weighs down the lid.

Yep, love that thing. Hard to screw up and consistent throughout. I can't get that from a cheap rice cooker because I apparently suck.

>What's the difficult part
None of it is "difficult" per se, but there is the matter of timing when to shut off the heat.

The thing I like about the rice cooker is I don't have to worry about that at all. It lets me focus on the rest of the cooking. It also frees up a hob/burner on the rangetop.

>The secret is the pressure
Yes.

>>That's why in jiro dreams of sushi, he weighs down the lid.
That is what he said, yes. But it's obviously not building any pressure because there is no seal when Jiro sticks a board on top of a cast iron pot. He thinks he's getting pressure but he clearly isn't.

>he was only asian to impress the cool hipsters
But I was azn before it was cool

Are you my doppelganger? Fight me in mortal combat.

You'll get some, just not a lot.

Either there is a seal or there is not. I bet there are plenty of small gaps between that rough cast iron pot and the wood board.

This is something I've experimented with a lot (building stills). If you don't have a gasket or some kind of sealant there are going to be leaks and it won't hold any appreciable pressure.

As long as you are putting more energy in than you are losing, you will build pressure. That's how moka pots work, as well.

My doctor told me to take it easy on rice..... :(

I fucking hate weebs. My rice made on the stove is better than your stupid single purpose, $200 space waster.

I doubt it. Even if you're a master fucking chef you're not going to be able to get the same results with a normal pot using a lift-off lid as you can with a rice cooker using a pressurized locking lid.

There are peer-reviewed publications discussing the chemical changes that happen in the rice due to the elevated temperature and pressure. Alas, I can't read them because I can't read Japanese.

>>Space waster
More like a space-freer-upper. Having that extra hob free on my range is god tier. I have a lot more counter space than I have space on my range.

Not that user, but my Chinese mother and grandmother disagree. At least as far as the most ubiquitous white long-grain rice goes.

I'd recommend an Aroma one that also functions as a slow cooker. I've got this one and it's great. I think all of them come with steaming tray inserts too if you're interested in doing that.

>single-purpose
wew lads, better all get rid of our ovens because all we can do is bake in them
that serrated knife? only cuts meat, can't spread and can't be used as a spoon, pitch it in the trash
ice cube trays are literally only good for ice cubes, only plebs don't fill up a cereal bowl with water, chuck it in the freezer, and then carefully carve pieces off

single-purpose is not bad if it is a common purpose served well. rice cookers are daily-use and scientifically proven superior.

>only plebs don't fill up a cereal bowl with water, chuck it in the freezer, and then carefully carve pieces off
I'll bet someone here does that and show a picture of an icecube tray "Do Americans really use these".

Sorry toyboys, bland steamed weeb rice is objectively inferior to expertly toasted and cooked rice in a pot. Just cause it's like your animes doesn't make it good.

>toasted
Persian user?

Classic white "logic". Enjoy China owning the world within your lifetime.

>he can't appreciate bland
I feel sorry for you. I bet you've never had oatmeal with just a dash of salt, and maybe a dollop of greek yogurt either.

Wtf?

Not that guy, but eating too much of one kind of food and not enough of other things causes nutritional deficiencies