Serrated knives

Besides slicing bread, what in the purpose of larger serrated knives?

I inherited a set of knives a couple years ago, and there are few serrated ones. However, I haven't come across any task that the chef's or paring knives couldn't easily handle.
What's the point?

They work well for slicing cheese

Normies use them a lot because they slice better than their blunt as fuck knives. Try slicing a tomato with a blunt knife vs a serrated knife. Of course, just having a sharp knife is the best, but they don't know how to maintain their knives.

Carving portions of pot roast for a catering event

cutter dey food

If your knives look like in your pic they are dedicated steak knives.

>What's the point?
Nothing, really. You just learned what most experienced cooks already know: most of the knives in a "knife set" don't have a good use. They are just there to charge the customer more money. I can't imagine most home cooks needing anything other than a chef's knife for most tasks and a serrated knife for bread, sandwiches, etc.

Serrated is the worst possible thing for cheese. Use a cheese slicer or a wire depending on the firmness of the cheese.

cutting cakes layers

>MUH NJORMIEEEEES!!!

>t. has never peeled cooked potatoes in his lifetime

I use a serrated knife for pineapples and bread at work. It's not a knife I always have at arms lenghtn like a chefs knife, but when I need it, its nice to have. I keep a Chef's knife for most things, serrated for pineapple and bread, paring for bartenders to borrow and boning/fillet for processing whole fish. (I work at a fish camp where we catch our own fish.) Add a peeler, mini-spatulas, fish tweezers, notebooks, pens and a sharpie and you have a good kit. (For what I do. Plan according to your needs)

Cut ham loafs with em

Serration means it easier to cut.
And even its not megasharp, extra technique still allows a somewhat blunt serrated knife to cut really really well.
It also depends on if they are merely serrated(can still be sharpened), or they can't be sharpened(serrated + pattern of small saw edges)

I'm not sure what you're trying to imply here. Are you saying you can't peel your taters with a chef's knife?

I'm also not sure why you'd want to peel potatoes after boiling them anyway. Take the skins off first so the taters can absorb the flavors of the liquid during cooking, even if that's just plain salt for boiled potatoes.

Boiling isn't the only way to cook a whole potato. Mashers made from baked whole potato, peeled hot then riced are superior. The idea is less water makes room for more cream and butter, or cheese. The best way to peel them is with a pairing knife and doubled disposable gloves, but some people like serrated blades.

I wish I still had access the ability to pull this off but running it through a chinoise-fine is too much work for cooking something at home for a single meal.

>doubled disposable gloves
Buy better gloves. You doubled your cost while creating more of a risk of breakage than the better product. At least here. Price is relative to where you live.

You don't have to peel potatoes if you rice them. Just stick em straight into the ricer and squeeze. Skin stays behind in the ricer. Though personally I prefer skin in my mashed potatoes.

I don't have a problem peeling with my chef's knife. I've never heard of anyone preferring a serrated blade for peeling. Normally the point of a serrated blade is that it cuts in a sawing motion. That has nothing to do with the motion used for peeling.

>Boiling isn't the only way to cook a whole potato
Of course. But it's the only way I could think of in which you want to remove the skins.

You can steam, shock, and remove the skin with anything around up to a B-sized potato.

Hot potato is gonna burn you no matter what, doubled gloves seems to give the best insulation.

Peeling a cooked(baked) potato can be done with an oyster shucker. I have used my fingers. But a knife of some sort helps. Also, a food mill can't take skins, and I've never seen a press style ricer sturdy enough to do what you described. They break even with the skins off

>They break even with the skins off
You're undercooking your potatoes.

Triggered normie

Perhaps. Or I can't find a decent ricer. Pic related, no brand on it but I've been through 2 in 5 years.
This feels so off topic

That one looks very similar to mine. I haven't had any problems with it, but then again I'm only using it for home cooking. I have no idea how it would hold up to commercial use.

My mother has the Oxo "Good grips" model. Part of it bent slightly the first time I tried to use it (undercooked potato), but since then it hasn't given either of us any trouble. I'm not a fan of it, even for home cooking, though because it doesn't hold very much potato. So there's an awful lot of refilling it in between squeezes.

>recent Sabatier

absolutely disgusting

this
Don't even get me started on those "bushcraft/camping" knives that have a couple inches serrated and the rest straight. Fucking trash