You guys have probably had this thread a thousand times but here we go again

You guys have probably had this thread a thousand times but here we go again.

I'm trying to make a NY style pizza, I'm specifically trying to get the dough right, my oven goes up to 500F and it has a broiler too, recently I moved up from cooking at 400F to 500F and the results are magnificent, but I know I'm still not quite getting it right, any suggestions?

every guide to pizza making I find focuses on everything but the temperature/baking, which is arguably the most important part

Other urls found in this thread:

pizzamaking.com/dough-calculator.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Also, would making it on a pizza stone work? I know steel plates are ideal for NY style but I just don't have one right now lol

Post your dough recipe and method of baking.
I've now acquired a hankering for pizza this weekend.

Oh, and butter/oil your crust. It's looking dry.

not mine, lol.

I've used pre-made shells so far (I know it's gross I'm gonna switch to at the very least pre-made dough ASAP) but I preheat the oven to 500F bake, get it in there, middle rack, let it go for 8 minutes about, and pull it out, and that gets it pretty good but I could get it better.

I also made sure to butter the crust a lot.

what're you doing for sauce?

Using Ragu so far, lol, I might not mind making my own sauce too, but so far the taste using all premade stuff for me is fine, it's just that I want to know how to get the dough right, since I always get it either undercooked or burnt

meh, i find the dough and the sauce don't really matter as long as you get the oven temperature right, so keep experimenting and you'll have perfect NY style pizza in no time

What do I do to improve my sauce seasonings?

The pizza I make at home has significantly improved by cooking in a cast iron pan.

We have a few, I've seen someone do it, I might try it, do you just throw the dough in and form it right in the pan?

kosher salt

Make your own dough
Make your own sauce
Pizza stone will help, get cornmeal to keep it from melting onto the stone

pizza stones are apparently prone to breaking at the temperatures I want to use, looks like I'll look into a steel after all

This is an image from my local Pizzeria, this was probably not made in a traditional stone oven, right? just a normal NYC gas-fired one?

Grind your own pepper.

jesus christ why would people buy ground pepper

Cold ferment dough at least 24 hours or 8 at room temp with reduced yeast.

IR heat thermometer gun is useful

Digital scale is necessary so you can do things by weight and not volume. It's not done in cups its done by percentages of weight. So a typical dough recipe would be like: 100% flour 60% water 2% oil 2% salt 1% .sugar 0.5% yeast with a typical dough ball being 3-400 grams total weight.

pizzamaking.com/dough-calculator.html

Preheat with stone/plate in a full hour

Use crushed tomatoes for sauce + little salt + evoo + oregano don't need a bunch of stuff Personally I use crushed tomatoes/salt/evoo/oregano/black pepper/balsamic vinegar and anchovy paste (which is awesome) If you have a bunch of meat toppings less is more in your sauce.

What level to place the stone on in the oven and when/if to use broiler is the thing you have to work out with trial and error. Getting enough top heat to make it spring up at the beginning is one thing and making sure you don't burn the top and that the bottom is also done properly is another. You have to find a compromise. The best oven spring comes if you run the pizza directly under the broiler with it going right when you put it in for only like 30 seconds and then turn it off and switch to normal cooking or do that and move the whole thing to a lower rack to get the bottom done.

Steel plates are great and I have a 1/2" one but it burns the bottom if I don't do a dance with it. If you get a plate, get a 1/4" your life will be easier. Cheap stones are also okay.

Doesn't look very good desu. Yeah the typical oven is a deck oven and it runs at about 550F. The pepperoni looks hardly cooked and the uniformity of the crust means it wasn't fermented. Letting the dough slow rise for several hours anywhere from a day to a week is how you make great pizza dough.

What's also viable for home cooking is a steel baking pan. You can make the dough, oil the pan a little, press it into the pan and cover it and put it in the refrigerator overnight or longer. Top it and bake it at max oven temp. You can make first rate pan pizza in a home oven without much hassle and no special utensils.

>putting this amount of thought and effort into making homemade pizza yet not even making your own dough
>next step forward isn't even making your own dough

I don't understand this.

NY pizza is only good because the dough contains NYC water which gives it a distinct flavor.
You're gonna have to import New York water.

Optimally, you use a masonry pizza oven/bread oven. You make a fire and pile of hot coals in the oven. Once it is up to temperature you rake the coals out. You toss in some flour to test how fast it browns/burns on the floor of the oven. It if burns and catches fire quickly, wait for it to cool off a bit. You want it to brown quickly, but not burn quickly. After it is to the right temp you slide in the pizza and close the door. After 2 mins you take the pizza out and it is done. You repeat this with as many pizzas as you can until the temp drops down to bread making temps then put in your bread doughs. You keep switching types of food as the temps get lower and lower.

Doing this in a conventional oven can't really be done. You can use a pizza stone, crank the oven up to the highest temp setting, get things nice and hot then pop the pizza in onto the hot stone for short-term quick cooking. That's as best you can get. The trick to not breaking your pizza stone/tile is to put the room temp stone into a room temp oven and warm it up slowly. Cooling off needs to be done slowly, so leave it in the slowly cooling oven until room temps again. Don't wash the stone. Any water getting into it can cause steam problems that could lead to cracking.

Get some cardboard, but on a little sauce, a little cheese, soak in grease.

Ny pizza in a nutshell.

t. larry king

Best tier sugar for pizza crust dough. The yeast love it. 2 stages. Nice flavor.

Stop pussyfooting around. Make a pizza from scratch completely.