Where's the line for making things yourself?

Some of us make our own ketchup; some of us would never dream of that.

Some of us have work-dominated schedules with precious little time for cooking; some of us have all the leisure time in the world.

Where's the line for what you should and should not be making yourself, no matter what?

... or does no one on Veeky Forums actually cook?

I draw the line at things that take a long time and/or specific environmental conditions to age/ferment/etc like most cheeses, liquor/spirits, and fermented sauces or condiments.

I do make relatively quick ferments that can simply be stuck in the fridge, like Kimchi. I also make many of my own cured meats. I've got a batch of Tasso curing right now, in fact.

I do make my own ketchup, BBQ sauce, etc, with tomatoes from my garden. Once you know what you're doing it is very low effort: dump ingredients in pot and simmer. When it's done, run it through a food mill and put in bottles or jars.

Of course there is no line for that, why would there be?

I have some home made tomato sauce in my fridge which I made for pizza. It wasn't much of stretch to take a few teaspoons of it and mix with vinegar and sugar for my fries when I made burgers the other day.

> Where's the line for what you should and should not be making yourself, no matter what?

There isn't one for where you "should" not make something. It's a personal choice everyone makes for themselves.

Personally, I don't make things that need more than a day to do; no fermenting, no alcohol and so on. But making sauces and breads at home is easy enough and ketchup is definitely a very low effort dish.

>liking ketchup enough to spend the time to make your own

why? its one of the most pleb tier condiments

Because wasting your time doing stupid things "from scratch" makes me a smart independent self-reliant pioneer, welcome to Veeky Forums, now install gentoo

you wouldn't know that from listening to half the people here sometimes

you didn't raise and slaughter that steak yourself? fucking pleb

I bet you used a store-bought knife to cut that cow's throat

Buyfags are the worst

>he didn't prospect for and mine the ore used to smith his knife

are you even trying you pathetic layman?

too complicated ones and if there isnt much taste difference.

im intrested in making my own pickles. like em very much would be nice to see tasty you can make em

Where's the line for me? I'm married to a woman who mills her own flour to bake sourdough bread the line is pretty far in the DIY direction. Not a fan of the supermarket.

she better have grown the wheat herself
don't let me see no combine harvester either, ox drawn plow and scythe or you are a casual

I make it a point of trying to do EVERYTHING at least once by myself so see how much effort is involved.
After that i decide what's worth doing and what's not.
In cooking it has opened my eyes on how much fat and sugar is in most stuff.

i haven't been in the right state of mind to cook for myself in a while. i really have to be in the mood to appreciate the whole experience or else it's just not worth it for me.

>he thinks homemade ketchup is somehow exactly like the red corn syrup made by Heinz.
Kill yourself. A well made ketchup is tasty as fuck. What's so inherently bad about it?

>she better have grown the wheat herself
We live in the city, so all we grow is tomatoes and herbs in a raised bed garden. But she gets both her wheat and rye from local farms (within 100 miles of us). This time of year we get almost all of our vegetables from a CSA where the farm is less than 50 miles from us. That's about as good as you can do in the city unless you participate in one of those urban farm things, and they're usually targeted at neighborhoods that are food deserts, where you pretty much can.t get fresh vegetables. We have other options.

>Where's the line for what you should and should not be making yourself, no matter what?
No such thing. Each person has a comfort zone that determines what they're willing to work for and what they're not willing to work for. There is no universal hard line for this.

If I had the time and money, I'd mine my own fucking salt.

I make beef jerky for myself

Store bought is expensive and I'm usually never satisfied with the cuts. One thing I'd like to do is figure out how to smoke it well. Kickass brand original flavor has a nice smoke flavor I'd like to figure out.

People on this board are so damn impatient.

>how to smoke jerky

Get a smoker and heat it to @ 170. Hang the jerky strips from the racks (my masterbuilt has 3 racks) and apply smoke for @ 2 hours. Leave going until finished drying or transfer to oven to finish drying.

What is it like being a pretentious yuppie?

I like that this board is somewhat slow
some boards move so fast nobody replies to your thread or post unless you post some shiny attention getting ebin meme

>Store bought is expensive and I'm usually never satisfied with the cuts.
This is the issue with most mass produced foods you find in the supermarket. They're made with priorities other than taste in mind. Shelf stability and low ingredient cost are the big priorities for these products. Advertising can make up for the taste not being so good. If you know what you're doing and start with decent ingredients you can always beat mass produced foods.

That's fine and all, but they need to realize hey probably won't get instant responses.

I make time consuming things myself when the quality is significantly better than the store bought counterpart, like fresh Kefir or Sauerkraut.
Other than that I want to enjoy cooking, so I'd rather no dick around in the kitchen for hours.

RESPOND NOW I DEMAND IT

>pretentious yuppie?
Ha ha. If you knew my age, what I earn and where I live you wouldn't use those terms at all.

>Eats locally grown produce that's far fresher than grocery
>does simple ferments
>makes a few simple condiments
>you're a pretentious yuppie

Why are you here, just for the garbage fastfood threads?

You seem really cool. You should check out /b/.

>mr heinz spent 40 years to make the perfect ketchup
>it is the perfect ketchup
>"muh home made"

>heinz perfected ketchup

He perfected ketchup according to his palate. Then he marketed the shit out of it so every gullible housewench thought they had to buy that shit product because the children in the ads looked so blissfull and full of love for the mother who only served them Heinz. Homemade ketchup with fresh garden tomatoes is so far above anything on the store shelves it should really have a different name.

I'm really not a fan of homemade ketchup and it takes way too much time and effort for something that I use once a month at home.

>wasting fresh tomatoes on fucking KETCHUP

ok now I'm mad
fuck you there is so many better things do do with tomatoes than make goddamn ketchup