Is this ethical?

youtu.be/oMQHpVNmc_E

nuke the japs

already tried that, it just made them more fucked up

As long as it's delicious it's ethical.

>tentacle reacts when it hits soy sauce
Subarashii

>it's okay when japan does it

probably. Cephalapods do have "brains" as a part of their nervous system, but it's hard to say if they feel pain in any sense close to our own. Then again, they are pretty smart for invertebrates...

That thing is very dead. The electrolytes in the sauce are causing the muscle fibers to tense postmortem.

The independent nervous center systems in octopi (at the base of each tentacle) and squids (much fewer, only three total in most squids) are merely just that, re-iterators of muscle movement and a means of separating tactile data to the central brain. If there is what we consider thought or emotion, including pain, would likely only be registered by the largest "brain" in the creature, if at all.

I'd imagine, and this is me pulling a wild assumption out of my arse, that a pain reflex is something that appeared fairly early on in the evolutionary chain.
The theory being that if it causes pain it's probably worth keeping well away from it to ensure a greater chance of survival.
However, animals get eaten by other animals everywhere, everyday. This is no more barbaric than that. I doubt a 30ft squid would have an ethical conundrum when it came to turning a human into lunch.

genius of the year award

im not autistic about death having to happen in an instant unless it ruins the meats flavor so yes, Im ok with a squids legs moving around.

ethics aren't real. they are theoretical and arbitrary which is why people need to ask the question instead of just knowing

so no, it isn't ethical, nothing is because it's not a tangible quality that can be observed.

what organ is that silver thing?

What if a fish attacked it and left it half eaten in the ocean. Would you cry, too?

Rather, ethics are an agreement between people on how to love so that we don't murder each other over parking spots and shit.

A better question would be "Is this moral?"

Liver I believe.

That thing is not dead. Cephalopods loose color when they're dead. It's just incredibly maimed. The brain is left in tact and the twitching is a result of it trying to function. 2/3 of a squid's neurons are in its tentacles meaning they are probably feeling everything.

really, at that point it becomes the squids fault for being born as a god forsaken creature.

nb4 people try implying humans are supposed to be held to a higher standard than animals.

But the same thing happens with the tentacles that are completely detached from the body.

these ones are still connected to the brain

can't beat the freshness tho

Depends if squid can feel pain or not. They probably can't, they aren't octopus.

For the purposes of animal testing cephalopods are actually considered vertebrates and afforded the protections that provides.

While it seems like a pretty inhumane way to prepare the dish, it seems pretty obvious the 'head' is dead before it's served so I don't see the issue here.

whats the liver-colored sac that he cuts out in the beginning?

Wah! Wah! the poor animals! we hunt and farm animals en masse and you complain about what some japs do to some invertebrates? while america gets away with waging wars with foreign countries that aren't a threat to them while using the most cruel weapons known to man such as nukes, agent orange, and drones.

If you've ever seen a decapitated snake you know that it's still going wild long after due to muscle spasms, and this is pretty much the same.

They do slice the arms off the squid while it lives though so I don't know.

Hella fresh tho