Never done this before how to know when cooked? Been cooking for 4 min

Never done this before how to know when cooked? Been cooking for 4 min

its cooked when it is no longer pink in the middle

cook in pan until both sides are golden brown. Then you put them in the oven until the center is white. Just cut into the thickest part to check

Flipped over after ~10 min, do I do another 10??

maybe like 3-4 minutes

That took 10 minutes? Your heat is way too low. Turn it up to medium high, should only take like 4 minutes for those at the most

Been 5 min since flip, looks a little pink

Ok turned up heat to 7

medium rare to perfection

I'm scared. I don't want to fuck this up

Cut into the thickest part to make sure it isn't pink anymore

It's cooked but I think I burned it. Really hope it isn't dry

7 degrees is waaay too low dummy

Here is the real trick. See all those delicious chicken juices on the plate? If you take your chicken breast and let it rest (put foil over top of it to keep it from getting cold and let it sit a couple minutes) then all those juices will stay in the chicken and it will be much better.

buy a thermometer

Thanks for the tip!

No! :D

OP if you are not just trolling

You should set the temperature med-high and cook each side from 4-6 min depending on the size of the breast

Ignore the people saying to cook it at med-high or high. You can cook it at whatever temperature you like, you just need to know how to tell when it's done. If you cut into it and see any pink in the middle, that means it's raw, do not eat it. Without cutting into it, you can tell by how the meat "jiggles," or how hard it is. Cooked chicken will be pretty firm, but it's easy to overcook it. Monitor it as you cook it, and AS SOON AS it becomes firm to the touch, take it off the heat.

I've never cooked chicken before and I'm pretty sure I could do a better job. Higher heat and a lid will make all the difference. You want the chicken to be cooked all the way through without losing much moisture. Now, one way to do that is to have the pan searing hot, but that would burn the outside before the inside gets cooked. A lid will allow for a higher ambient temp helping it cook through faster and also the steamy environment will keep more moisture in.

So depending on how much heat your pan radiates v/s how much it transfers through conduction you'll have to manage your hob. You're basically looking for the shortest cooking time that doesn't burn the chicken while cooking it through. In most cases, a bit burnt and juicy is preferable to perfect outside but dry.

You want to get a good sear on it, then lower the heat to let it cook thoroughly. That's pretty basic knowledge for cooking any meat on the stove.

Who cares if it the outside is seared?

Do you have any idea how meat works? Or do you just microwave your chicken?