allrecipes.com/recipe/221075/gurkensalat-german-cucumber-salad/
chefkoch.de/rezepte/323031114329582/Gurkensalat.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

"salad" is just what americans call any mix of ingredients, really
balogna salad, balogna and mayo
taco salad, beef, cheese, and sour cream
potato salad, potatoes, mustard, mayo

It's a side dish.

Potato salad is german you fucking retard.

The only good "salad" is egg salad.

Macaroni salad is way more than just "pasta and mayo". At least, GOOD macaroni salad is. And, not only that, calling it a salad is just an American colloquialism, it's just a cold pasta dish. Many other countries eat cold pasta or noodle dishes, it's not a big deal.

Yeah salad world wide is recognized as just dressed ingredients only an autist would think it must be lettuce.

various forms of pasta salad are a common side at american summer cookouts, not sure about this specific version of it though, I would hardly call that common. Seems like most commonly they are italian dressing based sauces here in the midwest

you know America was widely settled by Germans, right?
German potato salad is fairly common in America, but other kinds are also common

Egg salad wishes it could grow up and be chicken salad.

The only thing I legitimately dislike about the midwest is their taste in food. I swear they're too blame for commercial food products never being spicy enough and other things being too goddamn sweet.

>I swear they're too blame for commercial food products never being spicy enough
Thats just an old person thing, not a regional thing

The one that bothers me the most is salad dressings having a bunch of sugar in them. I have to make my own dressings because anything commercially available is so sweet it's like an ill diabetic urinated on it.

>Ill diabetic urinated in it
Comedy fucking gold.

Same fag.

Why you gotta hate

Also
>only "seasonings" are shredded cheese and mayo

>there is a popular food in Germany called kartoffelsalat
>a combination of potatoes, sugar, oil, bacon (also the rendered fat) among other ingredients
>starch and fat
>salat

Don't even get me started on gurkensalat.

The real question is, why do the brits call all desserts "pudding" but call pudding custard or mousse.

>he doesn't think Waldorf Salad is the best salad

that stuff is super common in the upper midwest too, generally called "german potato salad" here

Don't you be insulting gurkensalat, heathen.

We have potato salad in Italy, too. Most countries, I think, have some variation of it.
Ours is potatoes boiled in a mix of vinegar and water, drained and dressed, still hot, with olive oil, salt, thinly sliced garlic and lots of parsley then allowed to cool.
In America, I had a similar potato salad in rural Pennsylvania with garlic swapped out for onion (or maybe it was shallot, not sure) and olive oil for bacon grease. It also had a little grain-mustard added. Was very, very good.

Iowafag here, just made a big batch of it for a cookout. Went over well I think.

>DON'T INSULT MUH SUGAR VINEGAR MAYONNAISE CUCUMBERS REEEEEE

Heh.

It's odd because potatoes are indigenous to the Americas, so these traditions can't be that old in Europe.

fag.

>implying good gurkensalat is just sugar and mayo

I feel sorry for your shifty experience with food, user. You must eat a lot of shit.

Same reason they call cookies biscuits I suppose. What do they call biscuits there?

They also call sausage pudding. I think they're just really confused and don't actually know what pudding is, but they're too embarrassed to ask.

That's all it really is, vinegar, sugar, mayo, onion, oil, cucumbers, dill, salt and pepper.

Scones.

Definitely.

Good gurkensalat doesn't need any sugar. I spent several years making it in a restaurant every day, and we never added sugar. White wine vinegar,, homemade mayonnaise, spring onion, cucumbers that have been salted and drained well, fresh dill, green peppercorns fresh ground ( better flavor than black pepper with cucumber), and salt to taste.
At any rate, this idiot is a dunderhead.

>hahaha DAE LE CARBS FAT AND BROTEIN XDDDDD

I fucking hate you /fat/ asses so much. No one neurotypical talks like this

Believe it or not, potato salad has a longer history in Europe than in the US. While potatoes are indigenous to South America, yes, the oldest known recipes come from Hungarian, Polish and German-language cookbooks of the late 1700s.

might have something to do with American Indians not writing cookbooks

>he's a dunderhead
Because he didn't look up in the tree?

You essentially proved him correct seeing as the core ingredients are identical.

No, because apparently he thinks sugar is a core ingredient, when it's not.

that's where you're wrong, bucko

Then what do you call scones?

That, and potatoes being brought to Europe by the Spaniards before they entered North America.
The first potato crop in NA came by way of Ulster people settling in New Hampshire in the early 18th century. By that point, potato was already a well-established foodstuff throughout Europe.
Moreover, the various Andean peoples, for whom potato is a millenia-old traditional food, prepared it almost exclusively as mashed potato flakes. Yes, you read that right. Specifically the Aymara are credited with coming up with the process of freeze-drying potato for mash. They'd make drinks and porridges of the stuff as well as potato cakes somewhat similar to tamales as eaten in Mexico. You can't really make potato salad using mashed potato flake.

What the fuck did Europeans even eat traditionally before the influx of American food like potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, beans, etc?

So much of what we now consider European food is based on American crops

Meat
Wheat, Barley, Rice

maybe the feudal overloards were eating meat, probably not a lot of meat for regular europeans though

That's why there's a line break.

Common myth.
Peasant classes ate quite a lot of meat, mainly chicken and game.

>sugar
no, well maybe in burgerland

Varies wildly country to country. Also, not all beans are native to the New World. Broadbeans, for example, are old world and widely consumed to this day.
For the north, wheat and its cousins, swedes/rutabaga and turnips formed the carb portion of meals with other root veg, such as carrots, filling in for veg portions. Also cabbage. This has remained largely unchanged.
For the south, old world gourds were once prominent vegetables but have been supplanted almost entirely by New World squashes. Durum wheat was the dominant starch and still is to this day. Eggplants were much consumed and still factor in but not as heavily as before. Due to the heavy fertility of soil in the Med, many of the fruits and veg they ate before the Columbian exchange are still eaten today, supplemented with new world crops.
Slavshits didn't have food until the potato arrived. Before that, they just fed off of their shared misery. As with the other regions mentioned above, this is still a major part of their day-to-day diet.

Now, could you imagine the various Hispanic cuisines without cilantro, onion, rice, flour, oregano, goat, beef, chicken, cumin, lettuce, yams, peas, radishes, cinnamon and more? Or First Nations/American Indians without horses to hunt with?
Basically, both sides of the pond benefited about equally.

>both sides of the pond benefited about equally.
well except for the diseases

I meant culinarily. Genocide certainly did not benefit the natives of the New World, no. And for every one disease we got from them, we gave them five or six in kind (no joke: we were exposed to three new diseases and they were exposed to, IIRC, seventeen).
Also keep in mind that us whiteys introduced New World crops also to other parts of the New World, such as the already mentioned potato to North America. Whites also brought the whole concept of cooking fat to various New World cultures, like oil, lard and fatback. And blacks brought stuff, too, like okra and black-eyed peas. But I guess since whites brought the blacks and blacks brought the okra, we get credit for that, too.

I like the Austrian version with just vinegar, pumpkin seed oil (gift from heaven), vinegar and onions.

post british salad jamie oliver.webm please

This. People exaggerate the quality of life difference. Peasants also made a lot of sausage and cheese. There was also a strong middle class of artisans and merchants by the 13th century some of whom rivaled or even exceeded the wealth of minor nobility.

>phone poster
Even worse

>There was also a strong middle class of artisans and merchants by the 13th century
eh, weren't some 80-90% of the population rural at that point?
Cities had such a middle class, but city living was far from the norm

Then there's Hawai'i, where they mixed mac and potato salads together...

Cool

Less extreme than that. Remember it varied a lot by region too. Not a very homogeneous Europe at all even within the same country. You have somewhere like Aquitaine that was an agricultural paradise where everyone could eat good and live good so long as they weren't being fucked over by war and then you have somewhere like Flanders that was economically dominated by weavers guilds and sea trade. Spain had the Basques and the Galicians living off of small herds and seafood while the Moors in the south clustered around major cities and promoted groves of orchards etc.

I just use yoghurt, salt, pepper and dill. Can't be wrong because I'm German.

>Yoghurt
are you really from syria doe?

Yeah I am from Germany too and do it almost the same way except I also add a litte bit of lemon zest

A lot of that other in the midwest is polish

nah, in the upper midwest it is scandanavians
There are definitely more Polish people in the north than the south, but there are very few counties where they are a plurality. Most of their settlements were in urban areas

It usually is, or honig.

Scones.

youtube.com/watch?v=u4zw99VsoMA

Wrong. You're just wrong.

Every recipe available on Google and Duckduckgo yield results with sugar...so...you're wrong.

allrecipes.com/recipe/221075/gurkensalat-german-cucumber-salad/

Hourly

Yuropoor

Obsession

Thread

Why would you search for a German recipe in English?

Wouldn't you be aware that if you want to get away from bastardized recipes that you'd do your searching for a German recipe in German?

>Reddit spacing
You've got to go back.

chefkoch.de/rezepte/323031114329582/Gurkensalat.html

Sounds like you're the product of a negligent household where food was scarce.

>1 becher Sahne
warum?

>allrecipes

Lol, you may as well have gotten your recipe from a fat 50 year old housewife from Indiana. Good job, dumbass. Real gurkensalat doesn't use sugar, and no amount of shitty flyover housewife recipes will change that. You're just desperate to validate your gross opinions.

This is a fucking weird hill you chose to die on

Apparently the traditional version does infact use sugar, according to every german recipe I've scrolled through in the past 10 minutes. Weird.

It's even weirder that you think allrecipes is a valid resource for authentic recipes.

You know, you euros talk about how we put sugar in everything, but every time I look at the ingredients for german gherkins there is almost always sugar in them. Sweet pickled items are fucking vile. I just want a good, briney gherkin goddamnit.

So, you believe random Internet recipes over actual Germans who make the dish? You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you.

It depends on the type of pickle, and what region of Germany. Just like the US has various types of of foods from state to state, different parts of Germany make different types of pickles, bread, sausages, etc.

more valid than some fucking guy on Veeky Forums

Yes, who else is posting these recipes to German sites, turks and syrians undermining german culture by shitposting bad recipes online?

actual germans are the ones disagreeing with you

Sure, buddy. Because we know how knowledgeable those people who post on allrecipes are. The most disgusting recipes on the Internet are found there. You're a food pervert.

>Because we know how knowledgeable those people who post on allrecipes are
I literally have no idea. I have never used this site and know nothing of its reputation

Isn't it nice that you can freely lie here, because no one can prove you're completely full of shit? I'm German, I've worked under German chefs, and my family is full of good cooks, and I've never seen any of them add sugar to gurkensalat. Ever.

There's more than one person responding to you. 100% of the "creamy" gerkinsalat recipes in any language require sugar. So...why are you still posting?

Then why are you using it as a reference? Are you stupid?

See

I think you are confusing several different posters

See

No, they do NOT require sugar, Beetusboy. You're disgusting.

I couldn't care less, anyone who adds sugar to gurkensalat is gross AND a bad cook.

it may not be a legal requirement, but it is surely traditional, and the proper way

you must fucking hate germans then

No, it's not. There's no culinary reason or cultural reason for adding sugar, and people who do are poor cooks and degenerates.

I am German, asshole.