Have you ever tried making your jerky before?

Have you ever tried making your jerky before?

when is the last time you purchased a unitasker?

>Jerkygun jr.

>I'm gonna make some jerky out of the venison I hunted myself
>Just gonna grind it up first and season it with a premade mass-produced seasoning blend chock full of preservatives
Literally as flyover as you can get.

I'm flyover as fuck and make my jerky by slicing strips and making a marinade from scratch. I don't know anyone who uses a jerky gun. I've seen them at sporting goods stores but I always thought they were just bait for people to buy as worthless presents for someone who hunts destined to gather dust in some basement.

>Needing a unitasker to roll meat into poop looking logs
Even a child can roll playdoh

I was a bit nervous at first since I hold jerky in fairly high regard, but recall my old man knowing folks back in the day who brought out some great fucking jerky.

Saw this shitty cardboard smoker for like 15 bucks and decided to give it a shot.

All I did was get some lean meat with little to no fat and marinate it with a little extra saltiness than I regularly would. Soy sauce and garlic and shit. Just eyed it up.

I had to dry it out apparently, so after a few days marinating, I hung it outside on some foil in this thing. I went camping and wanted to give smoking meat a shot.

So after a handful of hours (Not enough since these photos are from my first attempt and I was a bit impatient.) I took out of the drying thing and began smoking them.

They used this sawdusty brick that had various flavors that they sell in the do it yourself kind of stores here. Depending on the one you buy they burn for a couple hours. I was doubtful at first assuming failure since I have never done this shit.

Here is the smoker going at it. I sprung the 2 bucks for a smoke thermometer. It was a good choice as temp is the only way you know anything is happening.

I can't remember, but I used just about 2 bricks which was about 5 ish hours. I opened it and checked at least 4 or 5 times since I was an impatient rookie, but it didn't end up being that big of a deal.

Here are the slices that I had hanging on mini skewers. I had a number of them lined across some more hefty metal skewers since the box only came with a single rack. Nice try box company, I will be taking your box above and beyond whatever regular capacity is.

(While my prideful statement over cardboard boxes may sound like folly, it actually didn't mess things up too bad. Opening the box countless times and not drying them was the real ruiner.)

Here is probably the best shot of the jerky when it was basically done.

It tasted great! Again, if I had let it dry a bit more it would have been better, but it was still slammin'.

To end story/ picture time.

This box is "single-use" and I have made jerky in it at least 2 or more times after that one time camping. In fact, planning on making some more going camping in a month or so. Totally stoked for that.

Letting it dry a lot more the second and third time made a huge difference, but dry times have a sweet spot. Basically when it is drying and looks like you can pretty much just eat it before smoking, then that is a pretty good time to smoke.

Smoking really doesn't need to take more than 3 or 4 hours or even that much really if it is dried. The meat is already pretty much good to go and the smoke just adds that extra love in there.

Jerky making is great, takes some effort and a little trial and error, but I fucking did it with a cardboard box and some sawdust. Shit was great, and addicting. My only shame was how little I made. I will be making a boatload the next time I go camping since I want to bring back a ton.

Who brings omiyage from camping besides pinecones and shit? Smoked cheese and Jerky? Damn!

I truly wish my fellow jer/ck/ers good luck in their endeavors!

I make Jerky fairly regularly. Cheap cut of beef, marinade, dry all day. I don't set my dryer to 160 as they want you to because that pretty much cooks it. I usually set it to 115 to aid drying times.
S&P, A1, sriracha, teryaki, old bay seasoning, ludicrous pepper are all great seasonings.

$15 for a single use dryer, or using your oven, or messing around with other bullshit is just wasting time and energy. Buy a dehydrator, put it to good use and dry other things.

I bought the #1 swiss food drying machine or whatever the fuck it's called and use it fairly regularily

I dry tomatos, fruit and other stuff as well

I also dry a ton of meat but I haven't quite hit a point where I can safely say that it'll turn out "good"

how does this cardboard thing keep insects away?

I tried to make jerky in my oven but it couldn't hold a low enough temp even with the door opened and cycled on and off a bunch so it was burned after an hour :(

Jam a wooden spoon in between the door. Wood won't burn at low temp and will keep inside temp low enough.

>chock full of preservatives
Do you know why people make jerky? TO PRESERVE

Hmm, either use sugar and salt, or we can add propelyne glycol and silicon dioxide to preserve the preservatives. $10.99 for a packet of seasonings and preservatives for the seasonings seems like a deal :^)

>making your jerky

The partial quad amputation was pretty awful. I still walk with a limp and look a bit strange in a bathing suit, but the delicious self-jerky was well worth it.

Kinda wish I didn't just pig out for two weeks and had some left to show for the sacrifice tho.

It is closed during the smoking as in the other pictures. I just took a shot of the inside after it was done.

Looks good.
I'm lazy and just use liquid smoke and a dehydrator.
I usually cut half with the grain and half against so everyone is happy.

Thanks! Dehydrators sound like an interesting direction to explore. I will take a look at them!

I haven't looked around here for liquid smoke and I am trying to procure all materials on-site (In country:Japan) so I don't need to get it online.

If the jerky is good, who cares if you are lazy or not. The goal is delicious Jerky.

This is a batch currently drying, be ready in about 2 hours.
Dehydrator was $29 at Aldi.

Seasoning is garlic powder, onion powder, , chili powder, chili flakes and brown sugar.
Marinade was soy sauce, red wine vinegar, pineapple juice, brown sugar, teriyaki sauce, Worcestershire

I scoped out a few on amazon and I saw a couple that were in the 50 dollar range, but don't seem to have temp control.

I will take a look in the super markets and home centers and see if they have any there. Might be a fun gift to the wife and myself. I could see her getting into dried fruits, hell I am into that.

That batch looks lovely.

Sure have, in fact I'm jerking myself right now.

Have you heard of salt you fucking stupid millennial piece of shit?

You do understand you don't need to put that shit into your own jerky if you don't want to?

His point was against buying a "jerky seasoning packet" because of preservatives. Your previous statement made it seem like preservatives weren't that bad.