Vegan food that isn't fake meat

Are there any vegan chefs that shun fake meat? It's the lamest shit, shitty meat is terrible so why would you base all of your cooking on imitating shitty meat?

There are so many good vegetable-centered dishes from around the world. Why at vegan restaurants do I never see simple good shit like:

Pasta (nothing stupid or foodie, traditional Italian recipes)
Ratatouille
Dal, vegetable curries
Mezze plates
Risottos
etc etc

WTF

vegans are gay and dumb

I used to work at a vegan restaurant (I'm not vegan, but they didn't know that, shhhhh!)
They made everything from scratch, no fake meat products, everything was super fresh. They did have a "burger" on their menu, but it was made in house and was basically like a large falafel patty (different seasonings, though). But they made lots of vegetable pastas, casserole type dishes, fresh vegetable wraps and sandwiches, stuffed vegetables, vegan baked goods etc.
I worked there for a year, so I could gain experience in a vegan kitchen (expand my repertoire), and I ate a meal there every day, and it was good, didn't kill me or turn me gay. However, when I wasn't at work, I was still chowing down on my pulled pork, braised short ribs, steaks, and porchetta. ;)
I don't know why an vegan restaurant would want to use fake meat products. They're shit.

That said, my bosses were fine there, but the fucking customers were the worst people I've ever dealt with in all my years in the industry.

I agree with you completely, the fake meat or meat imitation stuff is pretty awful from my personal view but I can see where they're coming from

It's more a social thing than anything else, where you buy the fake meat to "fit" in with the meat eaters

Also anyone willingly eating soy produce needs to be shot

fake vegan meat in restaurants mostly exists to allow chefs to provide a vegan meal while cooking something similar to the rest of their menu. most vegans agree with OP's view and don't eat that much fake meat at home

I like learning how they make their textural based alternatives to foods. Cream being made with nuts or fruits or other weird shit. It gives me ideas for garnishes of other recipes.

Why would a vegan go to a restaurant that fully caters to them and make your life miserable?

Idk, but a lot of the customers were either just miserable fucks, overly picky and demanding, or just plain wackadoos. Of course, we also had really nice people too, a lot of the nice ones we'd let tour the kitchen either before or after service because they wanted to see how we set things up and our processes. Obviously, we didn't let them in the kitchen during service, that would have been a nightmare.
Any restaurant has it's share of horrible customers, but the vegan bad customers were unusually fucking weird (and often reeked of various essential oils).

>Why would a vegan go to a restaurant that fully caters to them and make your life miserable?

Because vegans are selfish, entitled assholes who will invent new restrictions every time you accommodate them, just to see how far they can push you.

>this dairy-free cheese isn't also nut-free, soy-free and-fat-free, so you need to take this entire burger back
>you dehydrated these zucchini chips at over 100 degrees, which means they're dead and I don't eat dead things
>this fake meat doesn't taste enough like meat and I hate it
>this fake meat tastes too much like meat and now I'm triggered
>I'm not touching this yummy vegan cupcake until you get a signed statement from the sugar manufacturer that they don't use bone char
>oh, it's beet sugar? I still don't want it, it's not gluten-free

Every time humans have tried to create "fake" proteins to emulate meat, the results have always been a carcinogenic mix of toxic fillers & emulsifiers.

I don't think all these new age "meatless burger" startups are going to last as soon as people realize their "fake meat" products are 100x more cancerous than just eating real food.

>I don't think all these new age "meatless burger" startups are going to last as soon as people realize their "fake meat" products are 100x more cancerous than just eating real food.

There are several start ups that already shut down because their "new amazing fake meat" is noting more than re-hashed pink slime with marketing targeted towards dumb millennials.

Which ones?

vegan startups are a huge fad. that bubble is already bursting.

VCs are starting to realize all these "meat substitute" products have already been tried over and over again but nobody actually wants them.

There are dozens of independent companies and hundreds of large corporate branded products that have all failed.

Veat is one of the more high profile failures. Not to mention dozens of soy and seitan based brands.

No matter what, research always comes back to the same conclusion "highly modified proteins become carcinogenic under the heat emulsification treatment process."

I can barely find anything about Veat. How do you know it was carcinogenic? You'd think that would make the news or something.

The only vegan chef I can think of is Chris Rubenstein. I haven't looked much into him, but I appreciate that he calls out on vegans generally making terrible food.

Not sure. Can't stand it how whenever I look up vegan recipes its all meme hipster shit or fake meat. Just show me normal food without the meat or dairy.

Been eating healthy for over a decade now. Probably tried them all... from gluten to soy, etc, etc.

When one of these products are pulled, they do their best to hide the research that shows they're carcinogenic.

Wtf would you expect big food to publish data that will get their own asses sued to hell? They just hide the reports and pull the product. out of sight, out of mind, zero lawsuits.

You're sounding increasingly paranoid.

Generally speaking no, vegans crave meat and will do anything to get substitutes for it.
It's pretty rare to find a vegan who doesnt use fake meat whatsoever, or attempt to mimic shit like a burger.

>You're sounding increasingly paranoid.

try eating "healthy" and then reading all the fucking bs mixed information from all sides, and you'd be fucking paranoid too.

Fpbp

I used to have a vegetarian housemate and we'd go to this vegan restaurant that was like bhudist asian food. No fake meat just tasty ass soups and dumplings.