Japanese Fast Food: Gyuudon

just a brief intro to japanese fast food from a weeb who used to live in japan. starting with the most common type of japanese fast food:

Gyuudon (牛丼)

a bowl of rice with boiled beef strips & onions on top. usually about $2.50 - $3, more for additional toppings

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=F1mvYnRJX70
sukiya.jp/en/
matsuyafoods.co.jp/english/menu/pre_gyuu/index.html
sukiya.jp/menu/in/unagi/900100/index.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Yoshinoya:

chain restaurant found everywhere in japan. basic, simple restaurant with few options besides gyuudon.

looks yummy

Sukiya

another gyuudon chain restaurant found nearly everywhere in japan. they have a few more options other than gyuudon, and have several toppings available.

a little sweeter than Yoshinoya

Matsuya

gyuudon & a ton of other options available. flavor is rather bland compared to other restaurants, but does the job if you're just hungry.

this restaurant usually has a machine that takes your order. put money in the machine, press the button for the order you want, receive your meal ticket & any change, present the ticket to your server and get your food as soon as its ready. you literally dont have to talk to anyone.

that's all i found for gyuudon. as a broke student, cheap dining kept me alive.

how is this a fast food? to boil beef takes quite some time

the strips of beef are real thin, kinda like bacon-thin. only takes a few minutes to boil/simmer

ate at these pretty often when I was in japan. pretty decent, not much beef in the bowls but what can you expect for the price.

I didn't know this was Japanese. I thought the ones in America were shitty Americanized versions of Jap food like Chipotle and Taco Bell

Presumably the same reason you can get a mcdonalds hamburger in 3 seconds even though it takes about 3 minutes to properly grill and prepare.

the usual additional toppings at extra charge:
-raw egg
-soft-boiled egg
-cheese

additional toppings at no extra charge (usually available in containers at your table)
-pickled ginger
-soy sauce
-other sauces

Where do I get this in the US?

is it any good?
should i try making some at home?
can you provide a recipe?

People always say Japan is really expensive, especially beef. I'm surprised you can get all this for $3

looks pretty good, thats what they eat in japan, huh.

are japs lactose intolerant?

there's a few Yoshinoya stores in CA, from what ive been told (LA, San Jose). not sure if it has the same flavor.

>is it any good?
its decent, but nothing to get excited about.
>should i try making some at home?
if you want. ive been thinking about trying to make some myself just for nostalgia purposes.
>can you provide a recipe?
no idea, havent tried any yet.

East coast here, no Yoshinoyas here

RIP in peace.

I keep hearing this is what the most poor people eat

Most asians are

The Yoshinoya's in the US are pretty ass from my experience. Though even in Japan they aren't amazing. Egg is value though.

youtube.com/watch?v=F1mvYnRJX70

you can skip the pickled ginger and the soft boiled egg, but you really need to make the broth according to the recipe with every ingredient, even if finding dashi stock and mirin can be bothersome, it's bland as fuck without them.

>Francis
WHHHYYYYYYYY

>dashi stock and mirin
ill see what i can do
loca asian grocery is big and has lots of shit but i never can find what im looking for there

Used to have one here in NYC on 42nd St for a good while. But then they closed up shop without a word back in 2012, it opened in 2007.

>tfw weeb who makes lots of japanese food
It's a very simple dish.
You can find a decent recipe on serious eats that will provide you with a basis on which to play around with.

this thread made me break down and get a close approximation of the dish at a local shop

I live in los angeles and i hate this place, the beef is so stringy and chewy. the only good thing they have is their chicken and their sesame wings but then i'd rather just go to any other teriyaki place for that or better beef.

gonna give this a bump

sukiya.jp/en/
matsuyafoods.co.jp/english/menu/pre_gyuu/index.html
3-9$ I could see this being popular in other countries

in 2020 I will be heading to japan for the olympics. think I can learn enough of the language to function by then?

nigger do you even Veeky Forums

I wish a gyuudon chain that isn't Yoshinoya would open in Singapore. They charge extra for tiny single serve sachets of pickled ginger and chili flakes.

>you literally dont have to talk to anyone
A major selling point when I visit, because my Japanese is basically nonexistent

Yeah except the order-machine is written in Japanese

sukiya is the best of the three,for the most part under 1000¥
t. weeb who goes japan multiple times a year

Food pics from Japan.

>want to open a real japanese fast food in France
>Importing things from Japan is fucking expensive
Can I replicate japanese taste with european or chinese ingredients ?

The great thing about Matsuya is how many of them are 24h. It's like the best aspects of western Denny's and McDonald's combined.

>boil/simmer
Sounds pretty bland

that's why they season it with soy sauce, sugar, mirin, and sake

like every other japanese dish

Also lots of pickled ginger.

In the dish itself? I'd expect that on the side.

Almost always as a garnish, so I'd consider it "in" in the same way as cheese or pickles on a burger.

That's a pretty poor analogy.
I would consider neither cheese or pickles as a garnish. I consider then component ingredients of the dish however it is cute your first thought was to use a hamburger as a comparison, it speaks volumes of your culinary experience.

>t. angry EOP

>when someone replies to the poster that replied to you but they act like like a complete jackass and so now the guy with whom you were only trying to have an innocent conversation is likely to think you're rude as fuck

thanks

Some chains have pictures on the machine. Also, pressing a random button can be kinda fun.

Burn you fucking weebs.

Stay mad, turd.

no

damn that's lewd

As someone who learned enough Japanese in 3 years to live there, you can, if you put enough work into it. But you will have to work at it, hard. At least 2 hours a day, every day. And after that, you're going to want to spend some time reading about learning foreign languages and Japanese in particular, because you study technique matters just as much as your time put in. The most important thing is that you are consistent though. 15 minutes a day per week is better then 2 hours one day on the weekend.

Can you get soy sauce, mirin, sake and dashi(hondashi is fine)? If so, you're set for this and most Japanese food in general. You can probably buy all of that on amazon.

Goddamnit, now I want a cheese-in hamburg steak. I won't be back in Japan for another 9 months, so I guess I'm going to have to get good at that.

Come to Malaysia

lactose persistence has no other source in East Asia other than western ancestry within the past 4000 years. so when people say most, they don't mean 70% or even 90% but for a place like Japan essentially 100%. there are field test methods of gauging phenotypic intolerance that aren't as exact but if you look at the genetics it is really almost everyone.

on the other hand, lactose intolerance is NOT the same thing as dairy intolerance. people from populations with high levels of lactase persistence tend not to understand the difference. many cheeses and yogurts have low lactose content

*lactase persistence

Plenty of shop selling that in France. That guy is a bum looking for an excuse not to get off his lazy ass.

I found a recipe for this and it's now my go-to quick comfort food. It's so delicious and soothing no wonder the japs like it so much. The delicious sauce with onions and beef boiled in it makes it taste a little like onion soup.

Fuck I just ate dinner and now I want to make some. I know what I'm making tomorrow.

OP missed an important phrase for gyudon: tsuyudaku.

Order it "tsuyudaku" and they'll add extra beef au jus, which makes the rice at the bottom of the bowl way tasty.

Yoshinoya is top.
Sukiya second.
Matsuya last.

Gyudon is great "walking home drunk" food. I take mine tsuyudaku with onsen tamago.

Not even close

nip food is a meme, they only cook by boiling water or microwaving, most places dont even have a stove

that looks delicious

i might just live off of that when i go there

>Didn't eat gyudon or sushi while in Japan
>Didn't know there was an unagi restaurant a block from my hotel until after I left

That's what I get for only staying for four days

Sukiya is superior to all others.

>That fucking Eel bowl they have

I WANT TO GO BACK

eel (unagi) bowl was badass, but like $8. had it when i had a chance to splurge my budget

sukiya.jp/menu/in/unagi/900100/index.html