How's Veeky Forums feel about tofu

how's Veeky Forums feel about tofu

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Klhfo6sB4N4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's good but most ideas out there for it are vegan/vegitarian or Asian.

rubbish

I love it plain and uncooked.

Love it, it's incredibly useful in so many dishes.
And no, I'm not a woman or a vegan.

Only had it once, it was bland and had an unpleasant texture.

It's alright. Honestly best way I've had it was fried and dipped in a spicy peanut butter sauce.

It's great when cooked with chicken and pork. But the estrogen in soy hurts my balls, so I don't eat it.

it's good when it has been pressed and then cooked

How many days do you have to eat tofu after cooking a block?

Eating freshly made tofu in a mountain pass in Korea was the best experience

It's keto-friendly, but the phytoestrogens in it are bad for some people. I personally don't mind growing tits, and my family doesn't have any history of cancer, so I don't worry about them.

The phytoestrogen is only a problem in uncooked soy, tofu is cooked

Phytoestrogens, man boobs anyone? Fuck bean curd!

its good but i dont know why westerners dont like it

gay

Depends on how you prepare it, but the rule of thumb to me is about 5 days

it's uncommon to their diet and they have no idea how to cook it

That's because it's only eaten by poor people who can't afford steak

Mapo tofu is the shit -- plus I love me some sundubu jiggae.

I guess most white people don't know how to cook it usually. I just figure out decent Asian recipes and it's pretty delicious when done right.

Pic related my mapo tofu

The main problem is that it's used poorly to substitute meat in such a way that usually just highlights how beans are different from cow.

You need to treat it like a totally different ingredient, not just like a shoe-in for chicken breast in your shitty low calorie dinner.

See

t. weeb

Pls go

Idk why there aren't any decent westernized applications for the ingredient, but I'm happy enough with going back to Chinese or Korean influence for decent recipes.

>Can cook Sichuan food
>Clearly a weeb

I hate jap cartoons, and cook real Asian food, not flavourless nippon shit.

Have you got any good Indonesian recipes?

ah,oh well.
well minced pork and tofu is the bomb.it is very flavorsome .you guys are missing out

I like very cold tofu that has sliced century egg on top sprinkled with scallions and bonito flakes topped by syrupy oyster sauce.

The only fried tofu I like is stinky tofu, though.

I just wish I found a restaurant that made the stinky tofu with a more crunchier fried skin.

Mapo Tofu rules.

That is probably like 30% chili oil, and it looks fucking amazing.

Not to be a fag about it but anyone know a solid map tofu recipe that's vegetarian?

My nigga.

If you want western-ish, you can dredge thin slices of dried tofu in potato starch (a little will still stick) and then grill or panfry wrapped in bacon. A skewer will help hold it together.

But you are a faggot

Seconding this request.

Just started eating it. It's not bad, but I'm probably not going to do any major recipes using it. I'm eating it now only as part of a diet. I can't imagine using it as a substitute for real meat.

I mainly just fry it and slice it. Goes good with tomato soup.

I use it from time to time. I like black pepper tofu or slicing it very thin so it has a crispy texture and eat it like huevos con chorizo

Never had it. It looks very unappealing.

"bean turd"

you got him, he's speechless

>tofu gives you boobs
>japanese people have zero tits
yeah sound quite right

>drinks 3 liters of beer a day
>puts everything in plastic
>oh no! I'm worried this one specific food might have hormone-like effects even though it doesn't
Who started this garbage? The whey protein industry?

>can't tell the difference between china, korea, and japan
Do fat passportless flyovers not understand that these countries get along even worse than "Culver's" fans and "In and Out" fans?

How insecure do you have to be to get your manhood threatneed by a piece of bean curd ?

Most of this board has been living under the same roof as their parents for close to 30 years and feels threatened by anything their parents didn't expose them to growing up (I use the term loosely because a 29 year old who refuses to eat tofu can hardly be considered a grownup)

If it weren't for fast food restaurants introducing "new" foods like avocado and kale to their menus (causing endless screeching by these autismos), they wouldn't even know any vegetables other than ketchup

MAPO TOFU, BITCH

This is depressingly retarded. Who exactly are you quoting in this thread? What was posted that deserved such autistic rage? Did someone in this thread rape your sister?

There's been maybe 4 posts so far that could be considered anti-tofu, and only one was casually insulting.

Get your shit together.

Found one of them

I like tofu, princess.

Just for that, give me your sisters number. I want to at least give you a reason to act stupid.

If I had a sister I'd be filling her with my seed instead of shitposting on Veeky Forums, silly goose

Why are you afraid of vegetables that aren't ketchup?

Seitan is 4000000 times better.

Has anyone here tried stinky tofu? Thoughts?

Sundubu is the shit. Only had it a few times, though. Korean cuisine is one I'd like to get more familiar with.

>bro science

Since the base of the dish is thoroughly browned pork, maybe sub it out with tempeh or some other meat substitute that can be minced finely and will brown when sauteed for a while. Then just add your douban jiang, plus hot oil, and lightly ground sichuan peppercorns and rough chopped garlic/grated ginger. Once it begins for form a fond, add some water plus some corn starch mixed with equal parts water. Thicken to your preferred consistency, chuck in silken tofu chunks and simmer until the tofu absorbs some of the sauce flavours.

Cornstarch is really just a concession to the cheapfags who don't want to use concentrated pork bone broth. Why it continues to be suggested in the standard recipes is beyond me.

Asian tofu is extremely good. Especially the deep fried varieties such as atsuage or dou pao. Those make me crazy.

However the ones sold by vegans/organic stores are disgusting.

Cornstarch is a staple item in nearly all Chinese recipes for a couple reasons. One, to thicken up a sauce when you don't have literally a whole day to make a pork demi-glace, and two to tenderize meats when used with baking soda.

I mean, if you're desperate -- a gelatin packet would suffice, but I don't get what's so wrong with using a thickening agent.

Modernity called, they wanted you to let you know these things called "pressure cookers" have been invented
Is there such a thing as vegetarian gelatin?

My Chinese grandma never uses it though.

It's more of a restaurant thing, especially in the West. It's too make it more appealing and prettier. I always see non-Asian people pouring a shit ton of thickened sauce in their fried rice.

hmm, I wonder which group of people are obsessed with their own traditional masculinity and hate things they didn't grow up around

who like that constantly shitposts on a site that used to be self-hating weeb central with bonus traps until early 2016?

The only people who like it are people who can't afford food with taste

My uncle can't handle the texture of soft tofu, said it reminds him of boogers. I'm sure I've heard similar textural complaints from others. I imagine he's probably never tried any other variety.

bump

the texture is utter shit and the taste is horrid too. i ber you need to drench it in sauce to make it even closely eatable

this is a food and cooking board not an almost-food board

I fond of tofu skins, usualy buy them already marinated.

>but I'm probably not going to do any major recipes using it.
>I can't imagine using it as a substitute for real meat.
That's your problem, right there. Don't use it as a meat substitute. Use it as its own ingredient, and you will be far, far happier with the results.

>tfw vegans ruined tofu's reputation

Fuck you vegans, I hope you will choke with an avocado.

kek

*shoo-in

If it's sufficiently pressed, well marinated, and cooked perfectly, I barely like it.

flavorless garbage with shit texture

I like it pan fried but it looks gross in the package so I don't buy it.

this is specifically more common in the west though. we're more likely to use rice flour/starch more traditionally

korean is a lot of fun and you can get pretty creative with banchan. Plus because of its low complexity it's all very cheap to make a lot of

It's fucking worthless

Tofu only goes well in meat dishes. it's unfortunate that people try to separate them.

Aburaage master race reporting
If you don't eat aburaage you are trash

Not whole food. Most of the okara becomes cheap animal feed. Tempeh and natto are better.

My gf is vegetarian and she made it for me once and it was fucking disgusting. Although that could be down to her cooking

The only time I have ever liked tofu was in some packet mix of Seafood Laksa. It was fucking incredible, and one day, one fucking day, I will find tofu that good again.

Isn't it used as an animal feed in Asia?
Or was that just a chinese trolling?

Makes you bitchy and emotional. Do not eat this. Testicles shrink and you grow breasts. It's a testosterone inhibitor.

The actual mammalian in meat and dairy do much more. Could explain why the "man-o-sphere" is how it is.

pseudoscience

>tfw no incel bf to force fem into being my qt gf

soybeans sure are, but then so is corn and a lot of other things.

>i've seen this joke at least 10 other times in the thread
>I better make it again just to be sure
I'm not a huge fan of tofu but come the fuck on

Love it but it's kinda expensive in sw*den.

youtu.be/Klhfo6sB4N4

people in my third world country eat Tofu a lot.

>Makes you bitchy and emotional.

Same result as taking the red pill then.

it's okay. it's kinda like oatmeal. fairly bland, surprisingly high in fat. no fibre tho..

the silken stuff is fun to fuck around with.

I don't really like tofu, but if I order food from a restaurant and there's tofu in it I just eat it, it's not that bad.

I don't think tofu has ever been inside my house.