Eternal /COFFEE/ thread

Post your morning mug

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eSWwn6fNaGI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I bought some "medium roast" single origin mexico beans and they turned out to be burnt to hell, now I can't return them because I threw out the bag and receipt.
They taste like shit and right now I'm making some cold brew to see if they can be saved, if not I'm just gonna throw them out because they smell awful.

Does anyone use snow peak mugs? Do you prefer single or double walled?

I'm sure if you made a big enough fuss they'll let you exchange it or something

is french press better than pour over? I love pour over for how easy it is to clena up but I hear french press is great too but mine's kinda fucking annoying to clean cause the grains are hard to rinse off.

shit is so overpriced. Keith is a nice china titanium brand, half the price of Snow Peak

why would anyone use these for everyday stuff? they're nice for backpacking to save weight but they honestly suck as a mug.

16 oz. RTIC Insulated Stainless Steel Tumbler is my morning mug and works very well, inexpensive, and easy to clean. Also have a Snow Peak and it isn't great double walled product as the RTIC.

Strategic moves, I like it

The grounds spend less time in hot water with a pour over, so you're less likely to get the bitter acidic flavors from the beans. IMO, this makes the pour over superior, but if you've got some amazing beans you might want to give the press another shot. Obviously this is all personal preference, but I love my pour over too just because of how little effort it takes to brew then clean

I use a normal coffee mug it's simple and works.
Use an aeropress you get full immersion and cleanup is easy.

going to try a french press tomorrow
how do I know when the water is at a good temperature and how long should I let the beans sit for?

I picked up a cheap breville espresso machine and grinder.

I know, I know it's not the best machine around but I still prefer it to french press and pour over. And on that point, I swear I can pull a better shot from the non-pressurised baskets than half the cafes around my house.

Currently alternating between that and a drip machine when I need to make more than one cup.

how much ground coffee should i be using for 8 cups (according to the mrcoffee pot)?

i've been using a tablespoon for a couple months and it comes out pretty dark

A tablespoon for 8 cups? Holy shit lol. I do 20g for one mug.

i should have mentioned im a cheapass

it does taste like a bit of coffee in hot water

what does pressing down the stick do

I'm too cheap to buy a grinder or good beans so I put a lot of milk with my coffee every morning.
Around 170ml of milk with 120ml coffee made with a 3cup moka pot.

settles all the suspended coffee grounds to the bottom

I just bought two kind of beans from a local roaster, from Java and Zimbabwe.

I started loving indo coffee after dating a javanese girl for some years but the Zimbabwe roast has been a nice surprise, rich and bitter.

Water heated to 200 f
Left to sit for 4 mins
Then pressed and poured into another vessel for holding or drinking.

Subtle differences between em that novice drinkers won't notice. Press has a slightly weightier prescense in the mouth. Pour over is more caffeinated and more acidic.

I'd get both if you're interested in both, desu. You won't regret it.

Gross

>subtle
You're being pretentious, the differences are extremely obvious and your palate is not special

I bet you're one of those people who thinks alcoholic beverages have "levels" and you have to drink Gennessee Ice for 6 years to "level up" before being allowed to touch anything nice

>Work in a commercial construction company as a junior estimator
>I am always the first in my office so I can be the first person everyone sees as they go to their desk
>I brew my coffee and don't even take a sip until after 10am
>The receptionist is usually the next person to get in and whenever she says good morning to me I always tell her "SHHH NOT YET HAHA!" while I lift my cup of coffee
>Then the estimating teams start to arrive and I do the same thing
>Good Morning user How are y- "SHHH!!!" As I wiggle my cup back and forth with one hand in the air "NOT YET!"
>Then by about 10am the project management team strolls into our department and they arrive at my desk
>My coffee is cold by now so I can quickly drink it fast when they approach
>Hey user what are tender are you working on tod-"SHHHHH!!!!" while I am lifting my cup to drink and holding a finger out in-front of me to shhh them
>"AHHHH... Now... You may talk to me" as I lean back in my chair and put my legs on the desk

Every single day I do this and everyone thinks it's a riot.

See, here's the thing: I don't drink beer, but there are obvious differences between pale ales and lagers and stouts and amber ales, but I wouldn't be able to identify them.

Most coffee drinkers can't tell you the difference between one cup of black coffee and another beyond "it's bitter" or "sour" or "watered down" or "strong." But those differences are there and can be obvious and sometimes not unless you know what to look for and how to describe it.

Then there's differences between different roast. Between brew methods. The role hot water plays. Time left to brew. All of these contribute to taste. To deny the subtlety is dumb, m8.

What music best accompanies a good coffee?

> I don't drink beer, but there are obvious differences between pale ales and lagers and stouts and amber ales, but I wouldn't be able to identify them.
And that's how we know you don't drink beer. You can definitely identify them. You may not know the names, but the differences are obvious. "I bet you can't tell the difference" is not a valid response if you haven't been offered a lineup of those beers and given a chance to taste and form an opinion of your own.

>Most coffee drinkers can't tell you the difference between one cup of black coffee and another
It depends on the cups. If you serve them two different stale burned ash beans from Starbucks brewed in the same way, they definitely won't know the Kenya from the "Holiday Blend". But if you serve them a french press and a pourover, they will know the difference.

I appreciate the fact that you are trying to help people understand coffee, but it would be best to limit your comments on areas in which you have direct experience.

Why would you ever use a metal mug? Ceramic or glass are the only acceptable materials.

Almost all non-specialty (and a few specialty) coffee shops are REALLY fucking absurdly bad at espresso. So not much of a surprise there.

Thoughts on Don Pablo? I've tried both Signature Blend medium-dark and the organic dark roast which are both very nice, but I haven't tried beans worth more than $20.

Ok....so you take issue with me saying coffee can be subtle or nuanced?

And if I have no direct experience then what about my description on the differences between pour over and french press was wrong or inaccurate?

>can no longer drink it without horrible stomach pain
>tried milk & cold brew to no avail
>my mfw when

No talkie till I've had my coffee.

One and a half teaspoon of this and hot water in your mug is really all you need.

I don't think I've ever had a proper cup of coffee. What's the best way to into coffee? Mainly talking brewing it at home. Should I get a French press?

How do you store your coffee beans?

Yeah i had to quit coffee as well because it felt as if i was going to shit out my intestines.

feels bad man

Mason jars in my cupboard. Any airtight container is fine but if it's clear like glass make sure you store in a dark place not out in the open exposed to light.

there are subtleties to it but the difference between unfiltered immersion brew and oilfree paper filtered pourover is not one of them.

My new brewing system. Cold brewing can make even mediocre coffee taste pretty good. You also have it waiting for you in the morning with no work. Only downside is it isn't hot, which is nice sometimes.

If you want hot, couldn't you simply make it double strength and fill half the cup with boiling water whenever you want some?

I think it's best applied when you have some older beans that need to be used. Really cuts down on the bitterness you get from using beans a month or two out from roasting date. It's also nice to have an easy caffeine quick pick me up sitting in the fridge.

French press, grinder, and beans. Feel free to go budget.

You can just heat it up.

It still tastes like shit, what a waste.
I'm never buying single origin coffee again!

>Cold brewing can make even upmarket coffee taste pretty shit.
ftfy

coffee tastes like shit

You've never had good coffee. I used to hate coffee but once I started making it myself I realized it wasn't that I didn't like coffee everyone just makes it wrong.

brew it at a lower temperature, for longer, and stop blaming "single origin" for 2 separate problems that have nothing to do with where the beans were picked

Exactly what I do. Except that I use hot milk instead of water.

can't you boys suck on the meme mushroom?

My cold brew set up. I know it's excessive, but it ensures everything is evenly distributed and filtered well.

I need help doing cold brew. I have a Virtuoso, not sure what grind size to use and what kind of process I should follow. I have a stainless french press, or I have a pitcher that I could filter.

I have like 4 kinds of beans right now, most medium roast. Is cold brew better for medium-dark roasts? Any help is appreciated.

>but mine's kinda fucking annoying to clean cause the grains are hard to rinse off.

Not sure if you're a once-a-day coffee drinker but if you are what I do is: Dump whatever grounds I can into the trash. Leave the beaker out while I go about my day. When I get home the remaining grounds are dry so I can just gently prod them with a utensil and shake them out.

French press first thing in the morning and drip after my workout.

Try giving it a stir as you wait 3 minutes.

Why the change?

Deep house

I have a cheap ass Mr coffee brand espresso maker that I use daily, I have a double shot in the morning, or quad if I'm really fuckin tired. I use Starbucks espresso roast, or Sumatra roast, because I work at Starbucks and I get coffee beans for free

If I really feel like it I have a French press that is really nice occasionally. And I also have a large drip Brewer for family events and shit.

My mom and dad use a Keurig machine with Starbucks blonde roast.

I really want to try other beans there are a handful of local coffee roasters where I live but I have a hard time convincing myself that 15+ dollars for beans is a good idea. Maybe I'll get some for the holidays or something

So I usually just get a black coffee from McDonalds or use the instant stuff at home, can it really get much better than that? What's high end, Starbucks?

lol

My recommendation is to try some fresh ground coffee for your mornings, it's a lot more flavorful to use fresh grounds

Go to a thrift shop, get a used coffee maker, clean it out with vinegar, and you can make better coffee with that than McDonald's makes.

Starbucks is good overall for beans and drinks, but there are smaller roasters that do coffee better

>tfw can't find a local roaster that doesn't sell wholesale exclusively
I'm doomed to stale beans forever

No, Starbucks is basically fast food coffee.

When you want to buy beans, don't focus on "high end" focus on "shortest distance traveled"

Look for a local or regional roaster from your area. If they don't have anything in the market check the local coffee shops, a lot sell whole bean coffee from their local/regional supplier.

>tfw people actually drink black coffee

You mean normal coffee?

You need to give up on sugar, user

fatty baby need its sugar?

try an americano, it's much better than their brewed stuff

there's literally not one thing wrong with doing that.

I can't have coffee any other way anymore, I weaned myself off sugary drinks and drinks made entirely from milk.

the only way i drink coffee is black or very occasionally with high fat cream. git gud

Cold coffee with a bit of cream or milk is acceptable, especially if it's over ice. Just keep the sugar out.

>tfw I drink black coffee every day.

I'll drink black coffee if it's well made coffee.

Thanks dudes I'll try and buy some fresh beans, a grinder and French press or something I think. Its memey but I've been watching twin peaks and it really makes me want to taste good coffee

i used to drink mine black with sugar, but i started adding cream to stain my teeth slightly less.

>tfw people likes things I don't like
It's like they are literally raping me.

Don't forget a digital thermometer

anyone else consistently get a runny nose when drinking coffee? it's nice to know the caffeine's working but c'mon

Best place to buy coffee online?

>titanium, brand-name coffee mug
Consumerism is cancer.

>love the smell of coffee
>any time I try it, it just tastes like hot dirty water

You need to get used to the flavor. Unless you are preparing it wrong eventually you'll get to like the flavor, just like with beer

>filename
tee

>Every single day I do this and everyone thinks it's a riot.

They used to think it was a riot, but you do it every fucking day. They're all annoyed with you, but it's an office, so they just put up with your stupidity.

It traps all the grounds to the bottom

This is the most plebian brewing method out there. Enjoy your overly extracted coffee with a proper fuckton of sewage in the bottom of every cup.

Jazz

Anyone have experience with roasting their own beans? Looking for general tips and pointers.

>plebian
*plebeian
Retard.

K. Point still stands.

Seconding this. Is it possible to get a decent roast pan roasting?
Ive been looking for the device in the picture for a while but I couldnt find it anywhere. The one in the pic is from japan and they dont ship to gaijin.

>Autism in the wild

I've had decent results roasting it in the oven, 9-12 minutes at around 200degrees celsius, ovens are different though so experiment!

Doublemint Dan, is that you?

youtube.com/watch?v=eSWwn6fNaGI

>proper fuckton of sewage in the bottom of every cup.

This happens when using a cheap blade grinder. To compensate you could pour the coffee through a sieve.