How do i make Chilli?

How do i make Chilli?
I havent eat it before but damn, it looks tasty.

Any recipe?

>can of stagg
>don't bother opening
>microwave on high for 9 minutes
>take out tin
>pierce with plastic fork
>serve on bed of uncooked rice the chili will cook the rice

What are you?

Chili is some of the easiest and cheapest shit to make. Like a pound of mince, 2 cans of kidney beans, 2 cans of chopped onions, 1 large onion, a few decent sized peppers. Dice the onion, dice the peppers, cook the mince with the onion, once all browned, drain off the fat from the mince, add the tomatoes and beans, and diced peppers, mix all together. Wait to simmer.

>1 pound ground beef
>canned diced tomatoes
>canned kidney beans
>pack of chili powder
Fry up meat then mix it all together. That's your base recipe. Add/remove/change things at will.

2 cans chopped tomatoes instead of onions, I'm a retard. My bad.

Hispanic from S.America

>2 cans of chopped onions
I think you mean 2 cans of chopped tomatoes.

>canned tomatoes
Is that a thing in America? Why would you out tomatos in a can?

Yeah, my bad. I'm drunk.

>he has to juice and chop all his tomatoes
>laughing_girls.png

I'm not eating 3 months canned tomatoes. Thats just nasty, man.

that's because you are an idiot

>implying the tomatoes you get are 1 day off the farm

No spices at all, and you think that's chilli? Sounds more like ragu, and a bland ragu at that.

It's the basicest chili as basic can get. As with all recipes add herbs and spices to flavour. Don't be a fucking cocksucking loser.

>drain off the fat from the mince
oh yeah it's not like i wanted to keep the flavor in the dish or anything.

don't forget to spice it as well, cumin and cayenne is standard, but you can go pretty wild. I would also chop down a few cloves of garlic for the browning part.

add even more onions and beans for a "standalone" stew, or serve with rice.
replace mince for chuck and let it stew for hours to up the quality of it

Make sure you add corn.

Convenience.

Generally chili is made with mince but using chunks of bottom round instead will make it a lot better.

If you want a smoky/spicy flavor for best results throw in some whole smoked peppers instead of the ground stuff.

>rice

get the fuck out of here

shorter growing season the further north you go

They actually are one day fresh. Idk in what shithole you live but this is how we eat in Europe.

where are you from?

More like shit

Spanish but i live in South America.
Why?

Just curious, I live in the UK and I don't even know if tomatoes are grown here. Never had a problem with tinned tomatoes though

You'v never had italian canned tomatoes? Lol.

Oh, ok. I literally hate every canned thing. I mean, canned tomatoe? Really?

>italian canned tomatos
Italian cuisine is a meme. Your food sucks, tonni.

>hate every canned thing
Yeah good luck getting prime season ripe San Marzano tomatoes anywhere but a few places in Italy.
Canned tomatoes are actually great. They are picked at their most ripe and flavourful and then just put in a can and sealed shut.
What's bad about that?

>brown ground beef and drain
>fry up a couple diced onions and a few whatever peppers you like
>add everything together with canned diced tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, garlic
>optionally add your special snowflake flavor modifiers (beer, cocoa, bay leaves, cinnamon, horseradish, coffee, marmite etc)
>add a can of beans to piss off Veeky Forums
>simmer until it tastes good

wala

>Yeah good luck getting prime season ripe San Marzano tomatoes anywhere but a few places in Italy.
Lmao. Why would i ever visit that third world shithole called Italy? Keep eating your canned food, nigger

>self-admitted south american monkey having the gall to call italy a third world shithole
now i've seen everything

What the fuck, most chefs prefer canned tomatoes. If you have a garden and your tomatoes just happen to be perfectly ripe, then fine. But the shit you get at the supermarket is picked green as fuck, shipped in a controlled environment, and then artificially ripened which tastes awful.
Canned tomato is picked when exactly perfectly ripe naturally and preserved within hours of leaving the vine. Canned tomatoes are always preferred in sauces and chili, they usually taste better, just ask any chef, or just watch some cooking videos. If you are making a salad or slices for a BLT or burger, then of course you will not be using canned, retard.

What does your triggerpic have to do with the post you just replied to?

>southamerican
Nigger, what you on? Meth?

As i said before, disgusting. Really, dude? You eating anything from a fucking can?

This.
These guys are either baiting or know nothing about cooking.

Chili is, at it's core, about the meat and the chilies, so let's start with that. Beef is the preferred meat. Some people like to use coarse ground beef, some people like to use beef cut into small cubes, some people use a combination of both. Some people like to use a combination of meats, such as beef and bison, or beef and pork sausage, or beef and venison. I've made chili using all those variants before, and they're all good. (I've been cooking chili many, many years).
As far as chiles go, you want to use both dried and fresh chiles. I go a step further and also use powdered chiles, because I want all those depths of flavor. Basically, you want to use some dark, robust dried chiles like Ancho, Guajillo, Negro, Cascabel, and a few dried hotter ones like Arbor. If you want to use Chipotle, I prefer using a dried Chipotle rather than the canned in adobo sauce, because the canned can overpower the flavors of the other chiles fairly easily. As far as fresh chiles, I like using a mix of Poblano, Serrano, and Anaheim or Hatch (when Hatch is in season). I make a chili paste with the dried chiles, and finely chop the fresh chiles. As far as chile powders go, you can either buy individual chile powders, or a commercial blend (if you buy a blend, I recommend Gebhardt brand, it's the best commercial chili powder).

Now that the two most important ingredients are out of the way, we can talk about other seasonings and ingredients. Onions, garlic and cumin are essential, and the amount you use should be relative to how big a pot of chili you're making. Other popular ingredients are tomatoes and oregano. Salt and black pepper to taste at the end of cooking, once you see how the flavors turn out.
For cooking liquids, I prefer a mix of beer, beef broth, and a little coffee, but you can use all beer or broth, or water if you like.
As far as
>>>continued

>know anything about cooking
Canned=disgusting

Anyway, as I was saying.....
As far as beans go, some people like them, some don't. You're making chili in your own home, so do what you damn well please. But, if you do want to add beans, I recommend using pinto beans, pink beans, or (for extra flavor) canned Ranch Style Beans. I'm not a fan of kidney or black beans in chili because they don't break down as much.
Which brings me to my next point, you need to cook your chili for a long time over low heat. You want it to be at a low simmer. This will give everything a chance to break down and amalgamate, giving you the right texture for chili. Also, if you make your chili a day ahead of when you plan on serving it, it will taste even better after a night in the fridge allowing the flavors to really jell together.

To serve your chili really depends on your own preferences. Traditionally, chili has always been served with saltines crackers, so I always put some on the table, but I also like cornbread with it. Some people like rice with theirs, and some people like tortillas. It's all up to you.
As accompaniments, I like to put out some fresh chopped onion, some hot sauce, some dried chile pequins to crumble over the top. If I'm serving to a bunch of people, I'll also offer grated or crumbled cheese and sour cream or Mexican crema for topping (dairy helps people who find it too spicy). It's all up to your own preference.
Any other questions, I'll be happy to answer.

Damn, helpful advice on Veeky Forums? Never thought I'd see it.

Remember, authentic chili requires the use of a ton of beans. Anyone who says otherwise is just trying to fuck with you because they know you are inexperienced at cooking chili and thus gullable

where are you from that you never had chili before?

>cumin
i wouldn't say that cumin is essential

SouthAmerica

don't use minced meat, use real beef like chuck steak, cook your chili until the meat falls apart (3-5 hours). no fucking bean or tomatoes. a lot of different chilies, powdered, smoked and fresh.

anyone telling you to put beans in your chili is a faggot and should be shot on sight.

Not fucking tomatoes you backwards cunt.

Have you tried roasting your fresh chilies before?

ah, makes sense. you from Chile?

Cherry-picked argument to reinforce his anti-canning autism.

I'm Spanish. But yeah, i grew up in Santiago.

Yep, I have. I actually usually roast the Poblano and Anaheim or Hatch chilies, but leave the Serrano fresh. Then I finely chopped them all before adding. Obviously, I remove the skins from the roasted chiles first.

There's a difference between canning MEAT and canning FRUIT you fucking VEGETABLE.

Both are equally disgusting

It's unbelievable that people are shit talking canned tomatoes. They're essential. If you're afraid of cans for some reason, they also sell them in tetrapaks.

OK, enjoy eating shitty fruit that had to be artificially ripened at the store, as opposed to eating juicy, fresh fruit that naturally ripened and was preserved.

They sell them in cartons too, if your aluminium paranoia is that bad.

What's ironic is that the tetrapacks contain a thin layer of aluminum while a normal can for vegetables is made of steel, not aluminum.

are you saying that tetrapacks are from steel?

He's saying the opposite, tardus.

this meme needs to end.

steel is from tetrapacks? that doesn't make too much sense

>enjoy shitty fruit
How can a can of fruits be better than a frrsh fruit?

Yeah, those cartons are called tetrapaks.

wait, so tetrapaks are from carton? finally we're getting somewhere

i always thought ck is a place where you can learn new things everyday

>i always thought ck is a place where you can learn new things everyday
>is

You mean to say "was" user. Veeky Forums shut down years ago. What you are seeing now is akin to looking at a star. You are seeing it from millions of years ago.

Yeah, Tetrapak is just the brand name of those cartons.

Chili puritans are insufferable. Dude can do whatever he wants, and your ''''recipe'''''''' is boring as shit.
You're being rused (hopefully)

you cook up some meat, with chile powder (ancho, california, mild chile plus some hot chile powder or jalapenos as desired), and some salt and water to give it some sauce. other items optional: beans, onions (raw at end or cooked in), garlic, cocoa powder, instant coffee, tomato sauce/paste/diced/whole, bell peppers, cumin, beef or chicken broth, oregano, hot sauce, salsa, cheese at end (cheddar, jack, cotija, etc). its meat cooked in chile pepper powder. easy as falling off a log.

authentic chili requires beans, but they dont add flavor, just texture. its culturally authentic but not necessary for the experience. and you MUST compensate for the beans blandness by adding more chile powder.

organic canned tomatos have a BPA free lining that is very neutral. try them. and canned ARE better than supermarket unless you taste them and the storebought have that just picked flavor, which is rare.

canned tomatos are about the only canned food that is decent

We have a thing called "farmer's market" here in europe, look it up

Last I checked you also had these things called "seasons", but I haven't been across the pond since Brexit, did that get cancelled as part of the deal?

>what are greenhouses
hello grandpa

New Mexico chili powder, water and ground beef.
Add any veggies you want, hell throw in some pinto beans if you feel it's necessary

Yes, and we have packaged meat here, too. Can you imagine it?

If you post recipes please be precise. I'm a retard. Thanks!

>greenhouse tomatoes are better than canned
Lol?

Its easy as anything to cook and is one of my favourite dishes that is great every time no matter how many times you make it.
>fry a chooped onion in a wok.
>Add the minced beef until brown.
>fill up a seperate pot of water for the rice and put it on full.
>add a couple of diced garlic cloves and chopped chilli but dont burn them.
>put in the powder sachet, followed by tinned chopped tomatoes and kidney beans and then lower the heat.
>Add water to suit the constistency you prefer.
>add a few pinches of pepper, salt, cumin, chilli powder and a tiny bit of prapika.
>now for the secret ingredient provided you dont have an allergy, add a tea spoon of peantut butter.
>Put the basmati rice on and wait till its cooked.
>serve up and garnish with a sprinkle of corriander.
>enjoy the greatest chilli you have ever had in your life.

>farmers market
>europe

They're pretty widespread in 'murrica nowadays, although 30 years ago that wasn't the case. The only idiots you'll see wailing against local same day picked produce are Veeky Forums basement dwellers who the only thing growing they have ever seen is the mold on their cum stained anime pillow.

Here's a personal recipe from a few years ago. Not authentic by any means but pretty good

farmers markets in america are often full of the same shitty hot house tomatoes that they love in europe

we're talking about chili here, get a grip

Thanks this is helpful.

>Rice in chili
You get the fuck out of here you homo

Chili without beans isn't chili, thats called coney sauce.

I mostly do this, but I leave the fat til near the end and skim it off the top. You lose a lot of flavour by discarding the meat juice that early. I also recommend honey and cocoa powder instead of white sugar.

Also, add your dry spices (chili powder etc) to your meat for the last minute or so of cooking. It tastes way better for some reason. You can then deglaze with your tomatoes and beer or whichever liquids you choose.

I didn't have any cans of chopped onions so I substituted two jars of pickled onions instead.

Good recipe, would use again.

Combine whatever red meat, beans, chiles, and spices you have occupying your cupboards in a big pot. Add beer.

He said that you cunt

Chillies/cumin/garlic in that order
If you let it sit longer it gets better

>>can of stagg
>>don't bother opening
>>microwave on high for 9 minutes

>Not authentic
No such thing as authentic chili.

Go to www.chilicookoff.com and pick one

So what kind of beer should I use. And how much?

don't. there are vanishingly few recipes where beer is actually called for, you should be suspicious of anyone telling you to put beer in anything. it's always just an insecure neckbeard who thinks that it's MANLY to use the "forbidden" beer. wine is almost always a better choice but "wine is gay omg I am totally not gay, ok?" so that's why they use beer.