NY Extreme-Aged Steak

archive.is/hQUje
>Dining spots around town are offering steaks that have been aged anywhere from 90 to 180 days, pushing the limits well beyond the typical aging period of 21 to 45 days. Restaurateurs and chefs say the added time allows for greater tenderness and depth of flavor than the norm. “I’ve been describing it like the taste of roasted hazelnuts and dehydrated mushrooms,” says Billy Oliva, executive chef of Delmonico’s. The lower Manhattan restaurant is marking its 180th anniversary by offering a 180-day dry-aged bone-in rib eye, served on a keepsake plate, for $380. The special is offered through Oct. 14. The reason for the high cost? Beef that has been aged loses a considerable amount of its weight over time, Mr. Oliva explains, so diners are essentially paying for that shrinkage.

>While beef that sits in a meat locker for months on end may sound like a dicey dietary proposition, food-safety experts say it is generally fine for consumption because of how the steak is prepared. Before cooking, chefs trim the exterior of the meat where any bacteria might grow, reducing the safety risk. And the cooking process itself adds another layer of protection.

>There is also the care that chefs take to make sure the beef, which generally sits in a temperature- and humidity-controlled environment, doesn’t develop too much “green fuzz,” as Mr. Oliva calls such unchecked growth.
Ultimately, dry-aging is “a controlled rot,” he says.
Would you eat meat that looks like pic related? How long of an aging is too long Veeky Forums?

Most people, even those with reasonably developed palettes are not going to find beef aged this long to their liking, combined with the price and ethical considerations you create a strong negative incentive for butchers and restaurants to offer it.

disgusting

>"the added time allows restaurateurs to charge twice the price"

FTFY

>the taste of roasted hazelnuts and dehydrated mushrooms
y-yum

60 days is my max

>Ultimately, dry-aging is a controlled rot
YUMMY. Can't wait to pay hundreds of dollars for a piece of rotten meat!

As long as it tastes good and it doesn't make you sick, there's no problem.

my butcher offers ages cuts sometimes

shit is so cash

Something about fermenting and aging man. gets my mouth watering instantly. you just know its a one way ticket to flavertown

>steaks that have been aged anywhere from 90 to 180 days, pushing the limits

Meanwhile, Noma has been straight up mummifying hocks of deer since 2013

no different than drinking wine or beer, or eating cheese/yogurt or sauerkraut/kimchi

That's fucking vile.

Absolutely haram.

Dry cured ham is essentially the same thing but stored well beyond a year

It's really nothing new.

dry aged 7-14 days for me please, that is plenty to tenderize and enhance flavor.

Past 21 days is gross.

Don't they coat or pack those butchered pieces in spices and salt to preserve them though? I've been under the impression that with aged beef you basically just pat it down to remove surface moisture and then throw in the refrigeration unit to let it dry out without any preserving agents to stop the decomposition process.

i'd try it

>looks like pic related
You cut off the black oxidized layer you buffoon, the steak inside looks like a nice dark red.

>dry cured ham is the same as dry aging

No. Curing involves salting the meat before aging. Dry aging has no salts added before or during the drying.

No, not at all, the process is completely different to begin with.

Also, this is how it looks when cut, not precisely like rotten meat (it also smells good and fresh)

Jesus, that looks like it would make hella sukiyaki or bulgogi.

Ham and it's ilk do. Its much simplier and cheaper. But I guess an analogy to the steak would be a cut of pork preserved with no salt. That I would imagine costs much more

you don't cook this, you just eat as is

high end legs can run as high as several thousand dollars

it's one of my bucket list items

Yes, its two completely different processes.

I also find anything over 45-60 to be really pushing it and its going to be way to much for most people. When we first started playing with times before putting it on the menu we did a whole range and settled on 30 days since it got the most positive reception and bridged the gap between being not enough and too much.

>palettes
It's palate.

Are y'all babbies serious? It's like cheese. Except they cut the rind off. It even tastes kinda cheesy. Hard to explain. Maybe dirty, even. Or "earthy" if you wanna get flitty about it.

That said, it's not my favorite. It's rarely even worth the surcharge, but it is a nice novelty. When I eat a steak, I want it to taste like the steak I know and love: beef, salt, and black pepper. I don't need hints of roasted chestnut or any of that bullshit.

You realise that fermentation is an anaerobic process that essentially 'takes place of' the rotting process.
'Dry ageing' is hoping to cold retards bacterial growth enough not to kill you, it's basically proto preservation being passed off as the latest hip thing.

Goddamn that is a beautiful pile of meat if I was insanely wealthy I'd always have a leg of that available in my kitchen and slap it on some wonder bread with yellow mustard

Surely you're just giving the customer more meat to make up the weight, as its lost so much in storage.

Served loads of dry-aged beef, we're working on dry aging tuna right now.
My personal experience taste wise, it starts to turn into turn slightly cured after 90 days. and is not really worth it.
anything 30-60 days is perfect and has the blue cheese and nice sour taste to it depending on what beef it is.

they keep the bad bacteria they keep huge salt blocks and move the meat around once every few days.

I would have to trust someone to not fuck it up or I would have to be on that end of starving where if I need to eat or die, none of the I was without food for 7 days shit.