Fermented hot sauce OC

Let's make an habenero fermented hot sauce. You'll see how simple it is and if you're into hot sauce there's really no excuse not to make your own.

Ingredients: Habaneros, garlic, tomato, kosher or pickling salt and dechlorinated water (mine is well water).

Other urls found in this thread:

english.stackexchange.com/questions/132868/jury-rigged-or-jerry-rigged
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Rough chop peppers and tomato and flatten and peel garlic.

go on

Lol op kys

I'm doing @ 1 quart of peppers so I weighed out 400g water. You can see on the left where I've packed the peppers, tomato and garlic into the jar.

That's sliced not chopped, dude.

Monitoring

I'm using a 5% brine so to calculate how much salt I need I multiply 400g by .05 and the result is 20g of salt. I weighed that amount out unfortunately it tared out before I could pic showing the 20g so you'll just have to trust me.

>400g water

Mix the salt and water thoroughly and our over the packed peppers.

You have to ensure the peppers stay submerged so I jury rigged this deal from some dried bamboo sprigs that I boiled and wedged them around the top of the peppers. Seems to have worked and is keeping them from floating. I'll put on a screwed on very loosely so fermentation gases can escape and put it in my pantry for @ 1 month.

I'll take pics showing the progress and do another OC with those in it after 30 days fermentation and I finish it up.

No way I literally just did this earlier today for the first time ever

Got it.

Christ, why so much hostility directed against OC on Veeky Forums nowadays?

>nowadays
How new r u? I stopped posting OC before Obama's first term as President. Too many crazies, at least they started stripping exif, supposedly, although I bet the mods have access.

Really? Did you use a 5% brine? What were your ingredients? I did my first one last year using homegrown tabasco peppers because of a thread on Veeky Forums and I'll never go back to the vinegar brine I'd always done before.

Just a little bump to see if anyone else is interested in fermenting their own hot sauce.

I've likely never had fermented hot sauce, but I do like kimchi. Would that translate well to a taste for fermented hot sauce?

I'm watching. This thread will likely die in favor of trendies and fast food burger threads, but please post results when done.

warning: keep away from white people

I love these threads

also is vermont ferment bro here? I will be in burlington in a few days thru saturday and would be open to meeting up for beers and talk hot sauce shop

im interested OP. I'm setting a reminder in my phone as we speak to check back here in a month.

also here's what I currently have bottled
green is a jalapeno cilantro and lime
orange is habanero, carrot, orange bell, and tumeric
red is aji dolce, cherry tomatos and basil (not hot sauce)
and a regular bottle of tapatio that all the others are bottled in.

thanks to whoever started that fermented hot sauce thread last year. Like said I don't want to make a hot sauce any other way now. and it even got me into making sauerkraut and other fermented veg.

be smart, strip exif yourself

Ive been meaning to do this. Thanks for the encouragment. Ill prolly pick up the ingredients and supplys later this week.
Anyone have any experience with fermentation crocks? Are they worth it?

OP I just did the same thing. I pulled my peppers out today and they were really slimy. No off putting smells, just clear slime on the peppers. is that normal?

I tested the brine to a pH of 3

because they are opaque they are ideal for fermenting but they are usually made for very big batches of ferment. I've been getting by fine with just a mason jar, a weight with follower and a cloth stored in a cabinet I rarely open while fermenting

not OP but based the ones I did it may be kalm yeast, was there a slight yellowish film on the top of the ferment?

kalm yeast is harmless but can give some off flavors

I remember you from yesterday. Glad you followed through with the thread.

Op here, and I think so. As strange as it sounds I've really gotten into fermentation of hot sauce and vegetables from threads on Veeky Forums. My wife, being korean is the kimchi maker, but she likes the fermented hot sauces, pickles and sauerkraut too.

Honestly, I don't quite understand how a board that runs a "favorite corporate hot sauce" thread 5 dats/week would dismiss the idea of making their own when it takes very little effort.

I'm white.

>slimy peppers

Not sure. How did it look through the fermentation process? Last year my tabasco got cloudy and smelled a little rotten eggish after about 7 days, but settled down after 2 weeks and turned out great. I think as the lacto bacillus fires up it can produce some off odors for a short period of time.

Sliminess doesn't describe any of my fermentations so maybe you had a bad batch? Pic is fermented pickles and sauerkraut which I made earlier this year that I've almost finished.

>white guy
>eating all that hot sauce
Pull the other one.

Sick of this meme. I'm a midwestern white dude and I guarantee I like spicy foods more than you, you stupid cunt.

I thinks it's "jerry rigged". I could be completely wrong, but that's what I've always said.

White people are better at handling heat than black people, unless you're talking white people from Wisconsin or something. Mexicans and Panjeets are probably the best at it, though.

english.stackexchange.com/questions/132868/jury-rigged-or-jerry-rigged

Thanks. I usually follow through come hell or high water when I say I'm going to, even on an anonymous anime image board. That's my own brand of autism I guess.

Thanks OP
I will try this eventually.

Cool

actually there is a psychology to saying you'll do something publicly whether anonymous or not that improves ones follow thru.it's been over a decade since college so can't remember any exact sources or reasoning behind that

Cute. But my korean wife is prettier to me even after 25 years of marriage. It wasn't mail order, lol.

Interesting. I always thought it had to do with a sort of old fashioned Matt Dillon "Gunsmoke" kind of honor and integrity that of course has become something of an anachronism today.

Because Veeky Forums is filled with shitposting 14 year old Ameriboos that don't know any better.

why include carrot? I'm curious

looks like you removed most of the seeds, is that right?

will this sauce end up being super hot or not that hot?

No carrot just tomato, garlic and the habanero peppers.

After looking over many different hot sauce ingredients I decided carrot was used often enough to try plus I was going for something that would be very orange when finished

>removal of seeds

I didn't remove the seeds from the peppers but they were homegrown that I picked today and they just didn't have many

>will it be hot

My guess is yes as I didn't wear gloves when I was prepping @ 3:00 PM and my hands are still tingling. I have been careful when I piss to unzip and use a utensil to flip my dick out, though.

Dude, pic related

can you even lens size

carrot is often paired with Habanero in hot sauces. goes well together

How do you prevent it from poisoning you? Seems like fermenting at room temp is asking for trouble.

Holy shit this looks so fucking good.

I'm trying to make like a huge ass batch of buffalo hot sauce. I need to do test runs, only thing I'm wondering about is how to preserve it and in big amounts.

One of my autistic daily foods is buffalo salad. It's fucking great for weight loss, AND it tastes really good. Buffalo dressing costs a lot though and I want to make a big amount for less and also control the price.

Also just generally interested in making and learning more about hot sauce, because hot sauce + eggs is basically a daily thing in my life so uh... yeah. I fucking love tobasco with eggs but at a certain point you want to diversify.

as long you are doing everything right getting poisoned by something like botulism is actually not a concern because you are creating an environment with too much salt and acidity for botch spores to survive and then as long as you follow the kraut makers adage "under the brine, all is fine" you won't have to worry about any nasty molds growing on it. And even if some mold does grow as long as its white or pale green you can just scrape it off the top. and let it continue to ferment

>How do you prevent it from poisoning you?

Using a 5% brine provides a perfect environment that allows lactobacillus to start multiplying and consuming the natural vegetable sugars before the bad guys can get going. That's why you make sure the vegetables stay submerged. There will be signs it's working properly like the liquid turning cloudy and a bit of odor that disappears after a week or so.

If it smelled funky or looked like a bunch of black or yellow mold was growing in it after the 30 day fermentation period, I'd toss it. If things looked normal but you were still paranoid you could always boil it for 5 minutes after fermentation. But think about it. People have safely fermented vegetables for thousands of years.

I have pounds and pounds of peppers I have to harvest soon. I'll be doing some then.

C9ver y9u hands is cooking oil for a few minutes them wash with soap.
This also works really well at getting marijuana resin off your hands after a long day of trimming.

water specific density is 1g/mL so 400g === 400mL

This right here. The salt concentration prevents the bad bacteria from growing until the lactobacillus get started.

>>People have safely fermented vegetables for thousands of years.
Yep.
It sounds scary to a lot of modern people because they never grew up familiar with the process. But the reality is that it's pretty damn simple and people have been doing it since time immemorial. Same is true for most things you can buy in the supermarket, really. Ferments, cheese, butter, bread, pickles, confit...all easy to make. It's just that most people are ignorant about the processes because we are so used to buying those things ready-made.

Agreed and cheers, bruv. Midwest (MN) white dude myself with a hefty collection of superhot purees and sauces. Actually have a couple fresh reaper pods currently and I've gotta do something with soon to avoid mold or loosing flavor by drying them. I prefer making sauces, but two pods isn't enough to make sauce, so I'm leaning towards roasting them with garlic for a salsa.

Haven't tried making any fermented sauces yet, but it's been on my to-do list for a long while now. Fortunately a local farmers' market has a good pepper selection this time of year. Couple weeks ago some tiny old Hmong lady had a fuckton of really healthy looking red savina, bhut jolokia, and chocolate scorpion. Lady could barely speak english, but she knew her peppers and grows all her produce on a plot of land she leases out in the burbs. Pepper supply in the midwest is gonna be shit again once winter settles in.

Fuck these look good.

sounds dank senpai. just made a lacto-fermented hot sauce with a bunch of fresh cayennes from my garden. added garlic during the fermentation and it smells DIVINE.

What do you use to blend the hot sauce? My crappy blender doesn't make it a super smooth consistent sauce.

That should make a nice sauce. I'm glad I put garlic in this habanero sauce because I felt like my tobasco sauce last year could have benefited from some.

I have a cheap ass blender too, but I only fill it about 1/3 full and blend in batches. I add some vinegar after it's done fermenting to keep it shelf stable so that helps thin it out a little. You could always strain it too, but I like the thicker consistency.

I know right, I fuckin eat tabasco sauce like a big boy now.

Fucking stupid beaner racists should just kill themselves for being sub-human. How dare they oppress me when they eat sopa de macaco. You savages need to learn to stop stereotyping people based on the color of their skin, fucking no-good wetbacks!

>tobasco
I see this a lot on here.
Is it a regional spelling?

Nah, just incorrect.