Chinese dried pork

So I see this in the Asian supermarket all the time, usually in pretty large quantities. I suspect its a fairly important ingredient but have never seen it in any recipes, even on sites that take authenticity pretty seriously

Anyone have any recommended recipes or atleast tips on how its used?

It's usually a topping to go with a bland dish like congee or plain white rice. You can also just eat it like a snack as you would jerky. You may also see it as a filling in buns/breads found in Chinese bakeries.
I used to put it in my congee when I was very young.

It's not a fairly important ingredient in China. I haven't eaten any of it for maybe more than 15 years. It's used with rice, congee, just like said.
No overthinking is involved for that.

I've had it in Vietnam in a banh mi with egg, shit was tight

It's the chinese equivalent of bacon bits. If you want to make it for way cheaper, just get a pound of ground pork and put it in the pan on low heat until all the water is gone. Then put a little oil and spice and wa la.

its easier to spraypaint fiberglass and dice it with scissors

is this the powder shit?

>tfw my friends and i snorted this shit in elementary school like retards

Some baker chain in Singapore made their name off pork floss buns.

I've seen people sprinkle it on buttered bread.

It goes on tofu.

Can I use this as a dried replacement for actual meat?
for example by doing something loosely bolognese like by frying it in a pan with some dried onions, celery and carrots and adding some water and tomato concentrate on top?

I'm looking for light, just-add-water stuff for some /out/ cooking.

Not really. It's extremely sweet since it's made with a shitton of sugar and it's mostly made with shitty meat. Always add in pinches.

Think of it like a meat-flavored seasoning, or like a bullion cube.

You use it to add flavor, but it's not something that would become a significant portion of the meal.

>it's mostly made with shitty meat

CPC shut down a few factories last year that tested positive for passing off dried rat, dog, horse, and cat (yes, kitties) as pork.

Pour it on top of rice or bread

Well this thread is a disappointment, I was hoping it was some kind important ingredients that gets thrown soups and stocks to boost the flavor or something

No but you can put it on whatever you want. Like Americans and ketchup.

It's a condiment. Asians have an abundant of rice and this was the best way to have rice and meat if you were poor. You will see this a lot in southeast asian houses.

Toast, butter and some of this dried pork make for a decent snack

What are some other Asian market condiments/ingredients that are fun to try?

did they at least say there wasn't any melamine?

Rou song is great. toss it on some plain white rice for the classic combo.

I tried cooking with it once, stuffing a bakcang. Huge disappointment

We call it pork floss. It's seldom used. People usually just eat it on top of bread, or as a garnish for rice.