/whisky/

What's todays dram?

Pic related for me.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nA7q4AKndr4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Had this the other night, I really enjoyed it.

Just got in five bottles of Glen Scotia 15 year old. Tastes magnificent.

Fixed myself a delightful Bobby Burns with this tonight

I just don't get Ardbeg. I like peat smoke but with Ardbeg I feel like it changes from being an aspect of flavour to a full on meme. It's like there's so much peat to get around the fact it hasn't got much underneath it.

that's why I use it for cocktails that benefit from peat

Any you recommend particularly? Then again, I'm not sure if I'd use my good peated stuff for a cocktail. Maybe the Laphroaig.

I'd suggest a bobby burns

2 oz scotch
1 oz sweet vermouth
1/4 oz benedictine

stir very well until as cold as possible and a nice piece of lemon peel

Bit of the old Lagavulin

What a boring choice

drinking on the cheap this week

mah nigga.

Jameson or die

you have patrician taste user, bushmills is a best

how do we justify the spending on alcohol.

I sit and think how much I want to drink and I think about the $$$ and I just can't make the two meet

Irish anything isn't the best anything.

Think of it like a hobby.

oops.

>meet somebody
>"tell me about your hobbies user, what do you spend your free time and money on"
>Drinking

doesn't go well

You can spin it easily. Just call it whisky tasting in the same way people do wine tasting.

Rob Roy is what Nana preferred

Who cares what fags think

Good old Balvenie has never let me doon.

Not him, but penicillin sounds great: Blended Scotch, Ginger syrup (the good stuff, see vid related for more information), honey syrup, lemon juice and a float of peated scotch for the nose. Haven't been able to make it, but definitely will once I actually get around to finding a scotch that's in a suitable price- and quality range.

Vid on penicillin (I enjoy this channel in general):
youtube.com/watch?v=nA7q4AKndr4

Been on a real scotch bender for the last six months starting when the last of my bourbon ran dry, but I finally got tired of it. I like to have an all-occasions drink handy and to me scotch is a drink that the situation has to warrant, so I picked up some Woodford Reserve and Buffalo Trace. That's kept me going for the last month or so, I like to change things up a little and I can't fathom people who act like you have to choose between scotch or bourbon, there's too much variety out there to want to pick a side.

because it's "smooth", right?

>Japshit

Even before clicking on the thread, I knew there would be a post like that
>Western shit

Is it good ? I'm enjoying mine so far

tfw finished mine

Excellent price/quality ratio on this, loved the hints of vanilla

Yeah, very sweet and pleasant taste so it is easy to drink considering the alcoholic content, and pretty cheap indeed.

>51.4% ABV

That's intimidating even by cask-strength standards. It'd have to be smoother than baby cheeks to even contemplate sipping straight.

Not really, I've had cask strength at 59% and it tastes fine.

It is. Well, I don't like ice in whisky anyway.

Bought a bottle some days ago. Saving it a while tho. Tell me how was it

Another one just for you grumpy-san

It's nice. The peat is very subtle, and it's quite sweet. The only thing I'd say is that it's a bit harsher on the palate than I expected, but that's likely because it's not that old. Still very pleasant.

I just don't see what nip whisky offers that isn't available from Scotch.

Is Caribbean Cask 14 any good?

Why is Irish so harsh and awful?

What do half the brands of scotch offers that isn't available from the other brands of scotch ? What does Irish whiskey offer ?

whats the cheapest whiskey i can get in canada dont even care how it tastes

Wiser's...utter crap tho...

>What do half the brands of scotch offers that isn't available from the other brands of scotch ?
highland, lowland, campbeltown, speyside, islay, island

meanwhile, irish

It's mostly young spirit

this works for me.

Drank a whole bottle of this on my wedding night. It's like drinking a smoked saddle, but enjoyable.

A glass of Angel's Envy bourbon. Not bad, pretty smooth.

I had a little bit at a party once and remember enjoying it. Never got to sit down and do a proper tasting though.

mah micks.

Irish whiskey gets a lot of shit for being so accessible, but I still like it the best of all the whiskey varieties. I'm fine with leaving the peaty smokey stuff to the Scotch fans.

My current one is Tullamore Dew.

Why doesn't Irish whiskey have varied ranges like scotch?

I'm betting because Irish whiskies are triple distilled rather than the double distillation that most Scotches go through.

Auchentoshan triple distills. It makes very little difference to flavour.

they've got like 2 distilleries in ireland

That shouldn't make much difference. Most Scottish places have a variety of NAS whiskies that give them a larger range.

It's a totally acceptable hobby these days. My father-in-law is a self-described "whisky buff", which no one has a problem with aside from thinking it a bit silly. Plenty of craft beer fans out there who seldom get judged as alcoholics.

Alberta Premium or Royal Reserve

Royal Reserve is definitely better

I like 2 gingers.
Minnesomalia approved

Is NAS not a meme any more?

about to try maker's 46 for the first time

I'm getting a peanut butter finish, it's... nice

Really? I like 46, and usually get vanilla and cinnamon out of it, but never peanut butter.

Yeah, there's only a handful of Scotch distilleries that do triple distillation (think the Lowland varieties do). To me it makes those Scotches more smooth, but a bit more subdued than the other regions (Speyside, Highlands, etc).

Anyone try sherry cask Bowmore?

That's not even the strongest whiskey you can get, George T Stagg comes in at 70% and Bookers at 60% and they're both delicious neat.

Lol those are probably illegal in Europe

I don't feel like it makes them any smoother enough to warrant the flavour loss.

15 Darkest is not worth the money
15 Laimrig however is fucking amazing.
Ive had new make Old Pulteney and that shit was at 72%, alcohol is a hell of a drug
Water it down then you goddamn simpleton

Old pulteney is rough anyway, that must be hard going.

It tasted alright.
The nose however smelled like a mix between rotting cabbage and washing detergent. Definitely one of my weirdest experiences.

Sounds awful

That shit is great. My go to is Wild Turkey 101, but Old Grand Dad 114 is a close second.

>bourbon

Hi Pleb!

Nip whisky is expensive as hell.
>inb4 "Nu uhhhhhhh you're just broke it's totally worth it...!"

But it's the best...

That bad, huh?

>what do you spend your free time and money on
Do you actually take inquiries about your personal finances at face value?

I've found a bottle of the Toki for $35-40 at costco. The Hibiki Harmony is over priced though.

itt: tryhard dykes

How dim can you be, you could have determined this fact in the time that it took you to write that post. Try Glenfarclas 105, it is bottled at 60 ABV.

And Laimrig is 50-75% more expensive. Bowmore is retiring the darkest and current 12,18 yos if I recall correctly and replacing them with a new range. The sherried equivalent is now 10 yo, and apparently an abomination.
On another note why would you want to drink as strong as possible? I enjoy cask strength whiskies due to the fact that it is possible to dilute very easily but re-concentrating 40% into cask strength is just not very feasible.

Anyone tasted Kavalan? I have tried the bourbon, sherry and vino finished whiskies, bourbon tasted like vanilla extract and the sherry took very long nosing before it tasted like anything but rum.

Sipping pic related

>t. triggered numale

>male
>Veeky Forums
Nice try. Also one of the most defining aspects of numales is that they cling to masculine consumerism because they're emasculated betamales.

I like how "numale" has completely replaced "hipster" as a meaningless catch-all for "people who make me feel insecure"

refined taste and strong smoky flavor,the aftertaste really made me enjoy it,would recommend

how so? and what is your choice?

I went past a whisky shop by chance today and decided to buy a couple of things.

Is Lagavulin worth double the price of Laphroaig?

It's not double. It is worth the extra though, it's good shit. Much richer and more full bodied than Laphroaig.

Anyone tried this?

Shit yeah.

I'd recommend it if you like a bit of spice and extra warmth. It's not my personal palette's preference, but it's quite nice all the same. If you like rum or sherry cask-aged stuff, it'll be quite the treat for you.

Drinking this myself tonight. Not the best because of its age, but I have a soft spot in my heart for the stuff that got me hooked.

I can report that the Old Ballantruan is fucking DELICIOUS

I'm not memeing, this might be one of the nicest whiskies I've ever had. It's extremely sweet, almost like vanilla fudge, but with a light peatiness. God damn. I'd never even heard of it before today.

>And Laimrig is 50-75%
I'm in Ontario an Laimrig was 120 CAD compared to 95 for the Darkest
Also I had no idea Bowmore range was changing, 10 year sounds like a terrible idea

Short answer: yes.

probably influenced by a lot of factors lining up just right. I'm sure if I had it again tonight I'd get something completely different.

Not this one, but I had few of Penderyn. It has really unusual taste, compared to other whisky I tried

In a nice way?

Got this arriving in the post today, what am I in for