Homemade Burger General /HBG/

Alright lads, educate me on how to make really good hamburgers at home. I am a reasonably compitent cook, but I don't have much experience making burgers, mainly the patty.
What's the best mix of stuff to add to the mince, and what's the correct way to form the patty?

other HBG stuff too i guess.

80/20 beef. Salt and pepper.

no egg or onion or herbs or anything?

fpbp

Do I cook in on a grill or in a frypan? Oil? come on guys don't be poofters.

cast iron preferably. something hot. griddle works.l

it's just preference really. i prefer flat top burgers to grilled but both taste good.

Lean sirloin, smashed flat, under the broiler.
The bread is actually as if not more important than the beef. Halved, buttered, on an electric griddle.
Onions and mushrooms in butter on a skillet.
Bring it all together, add in ingredients to the process if needed.

On an offshoot, a burger on an everything bagel with an egg and bacon is a brunchy stroke of brilliance.

Okay for a real answer.. I made my own tonight. I use 93/7 ground beef. Don't add anything except salt and pepper. Cast iron really hot. Just enough olive oil to coat. Nice fresh buns. Muenster cheese. Whatever other fixings you like.

I used to go ham and mix in chopped onions and shit but I find the simpler the better. I appreciate the taste of the beef by itself.

grill
try to flip it as few times as possible
make a small indent with your thumb in the middle so the burger cooks more evenly, unless you like a rarer middle idk
if you do cook it on a stove top pan, instead of melting the cheese over a long period of time, get a top for the pan, toss a tiny bit of water in there to steam the cheese to melt it quicker so you don't cook your burger for longer than you have/want to
cheese, chopped onion, sliced tomato, and mustard as a topping
don't put egg on it, that's a meme that's more messy than it's worth
you can put bacon on it but I always found it superfluous

>brunchy stroke of brilliance
Holy hell you're a faggot

Well, I was talking about brunch, the faggiest of meals. Also I like tight twink cock on the down-low, so don't tell no one!

fpbp

I feel like I'm still not getting the information I need.

I get that you want us to tell you to make it over complicated and pretentious but I just can't do that in good faith, bro.

its not that hard dude
don't add anything to it except salt and pepper, try to handle the patty as little as possible and do the indent in the middle thing
i don't know what else you would need to know

Vegetables, meat, bun. Maybe sauce. Not necessarily in that order. You now have a burger.

Do i mold the patty then season it, or season the mince, toss the mince, then form the patty?

people like you are honestly so fucking tedious

can you do a single thing by yourself

You're the tedious one you fucking dickhead. I'm trying to get quick answers on the fly for something relevant to cooking so I come to a high turnover cooking board to find them. All I find, however, is some fuckhead carrying on like a little sook because I've asked a coupla fucking questions.

Suck my dick mate, you're of no help to anyone.

watch videos, read recipes choose one you like the most. also dont over mush the patties. the less you form them the better

Anyone prefer smashing burgers?
I've recently tried it and it just feels right.
Granted, I do like traditional burgers still but I do this a lot more often.

Any advice on making stuffed burgers? I've tried once before and failed horribly... might be because I was shitfaced at the time.

How did it fail?

It was horribly undercooked in areas, burning in other areas, and everything was falling apart

Why do we need a "general" because you feel like making home made hamburgers? Are you American?

Ground bacon in the mince adds the flavor of a bacon burger. 100%

No egg or onion into the meat. It's not a meatloaf. Herbs might get a pass, I haven't tried it myself to know that it's wrong to use them.

If you want onions, it's better to either caramelize them separately, pickle them or put them in the burger raw. But do not mix them into the meat, unless you like your patties watery with steamed flavorless onions in them.

If you're doing thick patties, I recommend searing the surfaces on a pan first, then transferring the patty into the oven until it's cooked to the point you like it. I wouldn't pour water into the pan to steam it like some advice, since the water will sog up your meat by my experience.

Make sure all the ingredients are room temp.

nothing wrong with adding onions to the meat.

>unless you like your patties watery with steamed flavorless onions in them.

if you put in finely minced onions with the moisture wrung out, that's not what happens.

I've been doing this since i tried making three batches of patties in a row, all of them had zero texture. It was like eating mush, I think the meat was shit, i thought i was over working them but then i tried it and barely touched them and they were still mushy. I think i'm sticking with beef, salt and pepper although if anyone wants to tell me what causes mushy burgers i'm listening.

>if anyone wants to tell me what causes mushy burgers i'm listening.

It could be any number of things. Overworking the patties is one. Using cheap ground meat that is too fine of a texture is another (and probably the most likely). So is failing to get a nice crust on the burger when you cook it.

Pay attention to the texture of the ground beef. If you look closely at it you should be able to see distinct chunks and a fairly coarse texture. You should see the long "parallel lines" shape from the grinder on the meat. That indicates the grinder was sharp and the meat wasn't worked excessively after it was packaged.

If you see a homogeneous mass with a fine texture that's a bad sign.

Best way to cook is start on a grill and finish on a flat top, best of both worlds

Season after forming the paddy. Incorporated spices in the middle are unflattering, at best

ahhh okay, i bought some more expensive beef to see if the meat was the problem but ended up just going with beef, salt and pepper - which is a decision i do not regret.

My homemade burgers are the best. Insane patty, crisp but not colored buns. A lil bit of bacon, oven made.

Expensive isn't always better. In fact, it can often be counterproductive.

At my supermarket the most expensive ground beef is either the ultra lean stuff (

I'll be sure to do that.