Shot of white vinegar stops hiccups?

Over the years, I have heard of many hiccup "cures", none of which work. I somewhat recently heard that taking a shot of vinegar stops hiccups, and have since tried it on the two occasions that I got hiccups, and it worked both times. Does this actually work, Veeky Forums? Is it just coincidence?

While it is quite heavily implied, I should mention the two times that I have tried this, it was distilled white vinegar and not other types. Anecdotal experiences involving other vinegars or other hiccup cures are welcome.

Bleach works for me

Hiccup cure:
Take a deep, 3/4 lung capacity breath
Hold and swallow
Breath in a bit more
Swallow
Breath in a bit more
Swallow
Keep repeating until it's near impossible to swallow
Works every time

I'll have to try this one

This. But with a glass of water for the "swallow part".

Yuck! If you're gonna drink vinegar at least do apple cider vinegar since it has health benefits.

Really? I guess I'll have to try this one again, but from my experience various breathing techniques have never worked for me. It's always been just "breathe weirdly until you don't have hiccups anymore but the hiccups ended anyways and now you're just short of breath". In both of my experiences so far with the shot of vinegar, I stopped hiccuping immediately after the shot.

It shocked your brain to taste something so sour it made your muscles spasm and reset

Sorry I was wrong. I hastily read the post and said "with water".

The glass of water technique is a bit different. Basically get a glass of water, calmly take small sips a few seconds apart, while creating calmly in and out while doing so. You'll notice the hiccups disappear after a minute or two.

Breathing not creating.

Stupid typos.

This one works sometimes but not always, and it's so frustrating when it doesn't

Taking a lap of swim always did it for me. Cardio exercise always seemed to have the best result on these things. They're about normalizing breathing.

Let me know how it works out for you, as I said it works well for me

Trying to force a hiccup always makes it stop for me.

All you have to do to stop hiccups is will yourself not to hiccup. It's as simple as mind over matter.

Doing anything to shock your CNS will cure your hiccups. Getting legitimately scared, getting punched in the face, taking a shot of vinegar or hot sauce, jumping into freezing water, etc..

My hiccups will themselves back again. They're fucking relentless.

Or bite a lemon/lime. I doubt the kind of sour is very important, just as long as it's strong. I wouldn't even be surprised if taking a bite out of an onion, chewing a clove of garlic, sniff some ammonia, or gargle a habanero would probably work too.

I wish I had the hiccups now so I could test these ideas. Damned.

You're just experiencing a placebo affect, which is the best cure for hiccups. You basically have an irritated nerve, the Vegas nerve, in your throat that causes your diaphragm to spasm which gives you hiccups. You can stifle this nerve by increasing the amount of CO2 in the air you're breathing, but it takes a lot. That's where the breathing into a bag """trick""" comes from

Why do I get the hiccups when drinking booze? Not even drunk but after a glass or two. I feel like a cartoon drunkard.

you need to block your ears then swallow liquid. you're welcome

I just usually drink some water or soda and force myself to burp and it goes away every time. Never had to try anything else

This. Nobody else ever gets it when I mention it.

This works for me, sometimes have to do it twice but it always stops my hiccups

No use a heaping tablespoon of dijon

I guess I'll have to try other sour things

... I should also mention that the last time that I tried this, the hiccups were alcohol hiccups, and when the vinegar hit my stomach I puked.

I frequently get this, and it's annoying af. You would think that it would be charming and amusing, but it truly isn't.

It doesn't always work for everyone, and it took me a few months to perfect it, but I haven't had more than 2 hiccups in any attack in over 20 years.

OP here, just tried it again and it didn't work.

I just cut a cube of cheese and push it up into my anus.

My surefire hiccup cure is inhaling deeply as soon as I feel hiccups and holding my breath. After 3-4 suppressed hiccups they stop occuring. I think it resets the nerve in the diaphragm but fuck it, it's way better than bullshit like drinking water upside down or having your friend try and scare you.

you misheard, it's 'shot of black'

Fairly certain it has something to do with your stomach sensing the acidity and then tightening your sphincter to your small intestine and esophagus.

xD xD

Fucking this. It's a a magical cure but if it doesn't work you literally think you are going insane/going to die.

Yeah also the way I know is to do it twice. Also in between doing it, during the exhale, it has to be as dramatic as the inhale. Meaning you exhale until you can't possibly/physically exhale any more. Then you repeat for round 2 of inhales.

Also, slight discrepancy, but the way I was taught -which may be negligible- you inhale rapidly with very short, tiny inhales until you can't possibly inhale no more.

Because, from my own experience, this whole process usually fails somewhere in between those inhales or right after a poor exhale. So doing everything to the max...giving the diaphragm no respite... is the key.

Intredasting

Surprise anal works too.

Are hiccups really that big of an issue?

Just eat slower or something

Hi /diy/

This works 100% of the time for me.

Take 20 consecutive sips of water