Tips and tricks for cheap eats

Hello Veeky Forums, could i please get some advice from anons that have been trough financial trouble? I am forced to eat cheap for more or less until next year according to my calculations.

What recipes do you use? How can i eat cheap in the most cu/ck/ way besides eating seamen out of my wife's pussy?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CvKQNLdMr48
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lángos,
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Any good and cheap crock-pot recipes?

>protein
offal, beans, eggs
>carbs
potatoes, rice, pasta
>vegetables
whatever's on season
>sweets
whatever fruit's on season
>recipes
have one of each on every meal

wa la

what he said. also, given this is long-term trouble you need to learn how to can things and how to air-dry things and how to ferment things
this way, you will be able to buy produce in season, i.e. at their cheapest, and enjoy them for a long time

oats for brekkie is super cheap

Elbow mac, tomato juice, chopped hot dgos.
Cheap and easy as hell.

If you want to eat cheap(er), the majority of your food should be rice, beans, lentils, wheat (like pasta), corn (like tortillas), and potatoes.

Rice: paella, rice+stir fry, rice+curry, etc
Beans: baked beans, chili beans, bean burritos, etc
Lentils: lentil soup, dal (lentil curry), etc
Wheat: pasta with 20 different kinds of sauce, french toast, ramen, etc
Corn: burritos, pupusas, etc
Potatoes: baked potato, home fries, scalloped potatoes, potato soup, etc

Cheese, meat and seafood are generally expensive so you want to reduce that. Some meats are cheaper than others, so focus on those, and use less. A noodle or potato soup only needs a tiny amount of meat to be satisfying.

Drink water, home made coffee, or tea. Juices, soda, alcohol, etc are just wasted money.

Buy good spices, since it will be a night and day difference when you are cooking with plain bases like rice or lentils - even though I'm in Canada and shipping costs are insane, I order from the Spice House because the quality is so much better than what I can buy in stores here, so I can make delicious food even if it is something basic like lentils. Spices go so far for their cost that it is easily worth it in the long run.

Ahh, the world's famous American cuisine

get a good recipe for red beans and rice, make a big batch of it and portion/freeze it

Thanks. Bean burrito is something that i have not tried yet, but it sounds decent.

look at price, take lowest price, profit

Here is my recipe collection for when I had no money

>cook rice
>apply soy sauce
>apply pepper stolen from A&W
>repeat for 5 months

I suggest a 40KG sack of rice to get the best value.

>Ahh, the world's famous American cuisine

Fuck off, racist piece of shit eurotrash.

>Buy in large quantities
25lb bags of AP flour cost like 8 bucks with taxes here. With that flour you can make bread, pasta, tortilla, pancakes, roux, and any other number of food items.

Pork butts are cheap, can be easily slow roasted in the oven, and can be used to make everything from BBQ to Mexican food. It freezes well too.

5 and 10lb bags of chicken legs are cheap as fuck. You get the drumstick, the thigh, and part of the rib with meat on it. Go through the bag and cut off all the rib meat and use it to make chicken stock. Freeze what you don't need, and use the rest of the chicken for everything from Cajun, to Italian, Mexican, BBQ, roasts, or whatever.

By beans in bulk. 1lb bag of beans is like 10 servings. By the large bags, make a pound at a time, and freeze what you don't need. Beans keep very well.

By rice in bulk. Find an Asian store and buy the 25lb bags of rice they sell.

Use large bags of frozen veggies to supplement your veggie consumption. Fresh is expensive out of season.

Good luck.

here's what i liked to eat when i first moved out

breakfast: oatmeal, breakfast burrito with eggs/cheese/potatoes and hot sauce, home fries (buy a huge jug of oil cheap at grocery outlet or costco)

lunch: salads, leftover dinner, cheap lunchmeat or leftover meat sliced thin in lettuce wraps or spring rolls or in homemade bread, potato salad, etc

dinner: rice, cheap pasta, potatoes, seasonal! veggies, cheap meat bought in bulk and frozen, curries, soups, homemade bread rolls, etc

i bought a lot of bulk because i had space, a 2nd freezer i got free off craigslist, and i like making my own shit, so i do things like butcher whole chickens (make stock with the bones), make my own sausages (pork shoulder ~1.99/lb), my own bread (flour and yeast cheap as all get out), and garden.

i'd avoid eating too much meat or processed foods/snack foods because that's where you'll lose your money. like don't even buy them until you have spare money, or a reason to celebrate, so you can't even enjoy them if you tried. veggies will fill you up so eat mostly veggies.

if you gotta buy meat here's where i pinch my dollars on it:

beef: i use ground pork primarily b/c it's cheaper (2$ a lbs or so) but if i buy beef i'll get an entire chuck roast (~3-4$/lbs sometimes) and cut steaks and kebab cubes from it

pork: ground pork, small cutlets at costco in bulk, entire shoulders to cut up

chicken: entire chickens ~2 birds for 10$ at costco. break em down and get tendies, wings, thighs, drums, and the bones make enough stock for two big soups

fish: a lot of seafood is expensive so buy seasonal. swai, whiting, and other cheap fish is good once in a while. if it tastes too muddy i usually bread em in panko and fry em for fish tacos

other things i buy in bulk to save money on and use cheap: bread can be frozen and defrosted, bags of rice, flour, beans, potatoes & onions, bacon & hot dogs & lunchmeat, huge cheese logs, seasonal veg can be frozen for use, huge boxes of canned corn

I made 125€ today with easy work. That is enough money for an entire month of okay food. If you live in a first world country, then you really should not struggle with food.

Work at a restaurant or something similar where you can eat.

How much can you afford to spend on food each week? If you need to tighten the belt, food budget is the last place money should come out of.

they already have. because people who cut costs on food have begun to cut costs on necessity. that means no luxury costs whatsoever.

So what's the food budget? You can eat like a king on $50 a week.

trashcans always have lots of half eaten goodies. good luck!

Sounds more Pinoy than American.

>alcohol
>waste of money
t.
Anti-Saloon league.

That actually sounds bretty gud. Just chuck that shit in a pot and cook? What about using tomato sauce instead of juice?

My girlfriend's grandma makes the same thing I found out. She uses tomato soup and bacon. I'm not a fan. Never thought of tomato sauce and I might end up trying a different kind of meat sometime. I found that Bar S hot dogs have the best flavor for this dish.

How the fuck can you eat like a king off of $50 a week?
>inb4 "for me, it's th--

It's true though. Alcohol is retardedly expensive

I feel like it's not wasted money to get some cheap red wine or a good bottle of port to cook with.

cut out meat

youtube.com/watch?v=CvKQNLdMr48

Depends where you are and what it costs, I guess.

I've never seen a bottle of wine under $12 here, which makes it hard to justify relative to food costs for other items.

In Europe a $3 bottle is good enough for cooking, and easily worth it for a stew or something relative to the cost of other food items.

Because you can...?

Cook all your own meals and sacrifice ingredient quality slightly because you're on a budget and you have to.

In my house we usually budget about $80 for a two week store run, but we could definitely go much cheaper if we didn't use kit meals so often.

Oh, and that's for two people. Forgot to mention.

Fuck off europoor, don't you have some beans on toast and muslim semen to be eating?

grocery store rotisserie chickens.

bulk brown rice and bulk dry beans

potatoes.

as far as veggies. you have to compare every time you go shopping. look for the lowest unit price between frozen/canned/raw and unprocessed

1. Buy a whole chicken and learn to roast it. You can get around 6-8 servings of meat depending on the size.

2. I boil the neck and organs in some water while the chicken is roasting and use that water for cooking instead of plain water. I give the cooked organs and neck meat to a stray kitter that comes around because no one in my house likes them.

3. Use the pan juice for a gravy and save the rest of the fat that you skim off. You can cook with chicken fat instead of butter for savory dishes or mix with flour for dumplings.

4. Make stock with the bones for a big pot of soup. Chicken and rice soup, chicken noodle soup, and chicken and dumplings are good, cheap options.

Oatmeal, grits, eggs, and toast with a piece of fruit and peanut butter are all cheap breakfast options.

If you like yogurt you can make your own in a crock pot for a little more than the cost of a gallon of milk. It makes a lot and tastes better than store bought. It just takes a day to let it turn from milk to yogurt bit minimal amount of work is involved.

For cheese, let your extra yogurt that you don't plan to eat that week strain in some cheesecloth (I found those nut milk bags work well for this and you can wash/reuse them) in the fridge for a day or until its firm enough for you.

Another cheap option for cheese is that farmers cheese that is made with milk plus vinegar or lemon juice. Theres a ton of recipes online and videos that you can find on it. I've made it several times when I've had a lot of milk left that's approaching the expiration date. It won't win any cheese awards but it's quick, cheap, uses up something that would otherwise get thrown away, and tastes pretty good. I've used it as a substitute for ricotta in baked pasta dishes and it turns out fine (can always use cottage cheese as a substitute for ricotta). I've also made it creamy by mixing it with a bit of milk to use as cream cheese when I didn't have any on hand.

Black beans can be used a substitute in a lot of ground beef recipes. It's not optimal but it works. Or you can stretch your ground beef by adding a can of black beans to it. White beans can also be used the same way for some chicken recipes.

Think of ways to stretch your meat (if you purchase it) with any combination of rice, beans, peas, corn, onions, and potatoes.

Europoor here so by calculations i should be able to easy make around 10 meals for 27 ameribucks. This will provide me with two meals a day, witch should be fine.

one of the cheapest food in my country: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lángos, it tastes amazing and costs close to nothing
ingredients: wheat flour, water, yeast, salt, little sugar and oil for frying
you can leave out the sour cream and cheese topping, it will still taste good with the garlic alone

you can make cream soup too from various vegetables, those are like a full meal, while they're cheap

also, chicken leg and neck is cheap as fuck too, you can make a stew using those plus water, a little oil, onion and paprika, eat it with bread or pasta

Sounds like a goulash variant which would be Hungarian.

Looks for recipes with cabbage, potatoes, or beans.

Yellow pea soup is cheap:
>500g dried yellow peas that you've left to soak overnight
>1.5l veg broth
>2 yellow onions in slices
>salt, pepper, thyme for seasoning
>optional: cheap, diced pork meat. Such as belly
Throw it all in a pot, boil for a while, eat with crisp bread with cheese, and mustard. Gets you like 6-7 servings.

What said is good, but other stuff that helps is planning your meals on at LEAST a week-to-week basis. Make big pots and freeze, makes you less likely to spend money on easy food for the days when you're too lazy to cook.
Frozen veggies and frozen herbs are good options, even if I personally prefer fresh veggies.
Bake your own bread! Bread is so expensive for what you can make on your own.

Just because something is essential doesn't mean you should be spending out your ass for it. Most people spend way too much money on food because they're shit at planning so they end up throwing food away/don't know how to cook so opt for easier or quicker, but more expensive cooks/eat way too much meat. Knowing to cook on a budget while making good meals is a great skill to have for anyone.

Seconding this. Also delicious.

get a cheap bread maker off ebay or the like and buy bulk ingredients for bread making. You can make yourself all kinds of bread or you can make pizza dough etc. and all you have to do is dump the ingredients into the machine in the right amounts and it does all the work.

Farmers Market, near closing, they don't want to pack that shit up and take it back so haggle. I get random veg 3-4 for the same price people paid for 1.