Study Links Vegans to Colon Cancer - Not Correlation, but Causation

> Long term vegetarian diet changes human DNA raising risk of cancer and heart disease

by Sarah Knapton

Long term vegetarianism can lead to genetic mutations which raise the risk of heart disease and cancer, scientists have found.

Populations who have had a primarily vegetarian diet for generations were found to be far more likely to carry DNA which makes them susceptible to inflammation.

Scientists in the US believe that the mutation occured to make it easier for vegetarians to absorb essential fatty acids from plants.

But it has the knock-on effect of boosting the production of arachidonic acid, which is linked to inflammatory disease and cancer. When coupled with a diet high in vegetable oils - such as sunflower oil - the mutated gene quickly turns fatty acids into dangerous arachidonic acid.

The finding may help explain previous research which found vegetarian populations are nearly 40 per cent more likely to suffer colorectal cancer than meat eaters, a finding that has puzzled doctors because eating red meat is known to raise the risk.

Very interesting article & research by Cornell. I've always had IBS issues and cramps when I was on a strict vegetarian diet. Anybody else experience the same effects?

Other urls found in this thread:

academic.oup.com/mbe/article/33/7/1726/2578764/Positive-Selection-on-a-Regulatory-Insertion
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4420687/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I know colorectal cancer patients are told to avoid high vegetable/fiber diets because of the difficulty of processing/passing these things. Makes sense.

I am not a vegan or vegetarian, but, I would like to point out that the study mention, does in fact sound like a correlative study.

>I know colorectal cancer patients are told to avoid high vegetable/fiber diets because of the difficulty of processing/passing these things. Makes sense.

That, and all the gasses created from beans/broccoli is a direct trigger for IBS. And chronic IBS is a well known pre-cursor of colon cancer.

Obvious meat-fascist propaganda by the poultry-archy made to keep the green man down.

Delete your lies or I will be forced to undo my manbun in protest.

Why would it be "correlative" if arachidonic acid is an established carcinogen and pre-cursor to cancer?

>Populations who have had a primarily vegetarian diet for generations were found to be far more likely to carry DNA which makes them susceptible to inflammation.
>for generations

So as long as your parents and grandparents where not vegetarian you will be just fine.

"Big Meat" is like, one of the most evil & sinister organizations in the world, even more than Nazis.

>So as long as your parents and grandparents where not vegetarian you will be just fine.

My mom was a veggie, but my dad wasn't. Am I fucked?

BecauseIs a fucking retard who doesn't know the definition of the words he tosses around.

The rest of the article....

To make the problem worse, the mutation also hinders the production of beneficial Omega 3 fatty acid which is protective against heart disease. Although it may not have mattered when the mutation first developed, since the industrial revolution there has been a major shift in diets away from Omega 3 – found in fish and nuts - to less healthy Omega 6 fats - found in vegetable oils.

"Changes in the dietary Omega 6 to Omega 3 balance may contribute to the increase in chronic disease seen in some developing countries,” added Dr Brenna.

β€œThe message for vegetarians is simple. Use vegetable oils that are low in omega-6 linoleic acid such as olive oil.”

The mutation is called rs66698963 and is found in the FADS2 gene which controls the production of fatty acids in the body.

Previous studies have shown that vegetarianism and veganism can lead to problems with fertility by lowering sperm counts.

Separate research from Harvard University also found that a diet high in fruit and vegetables may impact fertility because men are consuming high quantities of pesticides.

The study is about a genetic mutation from certain populations in India who have had vegetarian or vegan diets for hundreds of years. The genetic mutation allows them to absorb more nutritional content from plants but also be more adversely affected by things such as oils. It's a population study of a couple very specific populations and in no way shows any causation that these diets in general are harmful or cause cancer. Of course this is almost a year old article that's been beaten to death already and reading is really hard.

Interesting article user. Why do we never hear any of this shit from Vegans themselves?

At least meat vendors will tell you that eating bacon every meal will eventually give you a heart attack. Why doesn't the vegetarian industry come clean about their health risks & address them honestly?

hmmm, big if true

IBS doesn't lead to cancer... Idk where you heard that from.

>if true

Is it really that hard to understand that an artificially restrictive diet will cause health problems for animals who evolved over 200,000 years of evolution as omnivores?

The Cornell study was done in conjunction with the US National Library of Medicine & the US National Institute of health.

>At least meat vendors will tell you that eating bacon every meal will eventually give you a heart attack. Why doesn't the vegetarian industry come clean about their health risks & address them honestly?

lol

> Big Agra
> Coming clean & being honest

Ever heard of Monsanto? The same company that keeps trying to tell people Glyphosate is not harmful and 100% safe to eat on vegetables?

Might want to do some critical thinking before believing everything Monsanto tells you.

But the Nazis were right.

fuck monsanto

Not actually vegan or vegetarian, but this is a telegraph article and it's pretty misleading. No where in the research paper it says that a vegetarian diet causes cancer or creates mutations that cause cancer. The mutation that the researchers are talking about depended on race and ethnicity.

>70% in South Asians, 53% in Africans, 29% in East Asians, and 17% in Europeans

It doesn't say that a vegetarian diet causes cancer, but rather a diet that is high in polyunsaturated fat increases the production of arachidonic acid. This is true whether or not you have the mutation. It's just that with the mutation, the production of arachidonic acid is greater, so there might be a greater risk of cancer. So just eat more saturated or monounsaturated fats, rather than polyunsaturated, with the exception of omega-3 fats.

academic.oup.com/mbe/article/33/7/1726/2578764/Positive-Selection-on-a-Regulatory-Insertion

As for vegetarian diets and the risk of cancer. It seems to reduce it by 10-20%, but a pesco-vegetarian diet seems to reduce it by nearly 50%.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4420687/

Reread his post. The key word is "chronic". Chronic inflammation of anything over a lifetime will lead to tumors with the potential to metastasize.

nah not hard to believe at all senpai, but you hear contradictory shit all the time. meat causes bowel cancer, fish contains mercury and now, finally, veg causes bowel cancer
I just don't know what's true anymore

Most of your confusion stems from the shitty way that commercial news reports science to the public. Instead of trying to present it in a clear, understandable way they prune it down to a shocking sound bite or terrifying headline.
Take mercury in fish. There is, in fact mercury in fish. But most healthy adults are not at risk unless they're shoveling pounds of fish down their throats every day. Really only pregnant women old/sick people need to worry about it.
But the news is petrified that you're going to change the channel so they just shout "Eating Fish May Kill You! Stay tuned for more!" so that they can keep your attention.
You can actually get pretty reliable information on what's good and bad for you, it just takes a little work and getting past the commercial news outlets.

See, even God hates Vegans.

Literally everything causes cancer.

Kek

This. It makes no sense that a vegetarian diet would necessarily trigger such a mutation. Epigenetic changes (aka regulation of gene expression) would be far more likely to be caused by diet change, which the study doesn't cover.

fucking everything causes cancer senpai

No. IBS whether it is just plain IBS, IBSD, IBSC it doesn't matter. It doesn't cause colon cancer. There is nothing stating that. If so, post a link please. Lemme guess, you believe vaccines are a conspiracy to make kids retarded?

It said long term veggies like generations not hippie dippy types that give up meat. Learn to read op

>changes DNA

also there was a copy paste article like this linking meat to cancer.

Basically this. It's absolutely pointless trying to avoid it because even diehard vegans can get cancer out of the blue and you could get hit by a bus next week anyway

You will die no matter how healthy or unhealthy you eat.

>20 quintillion studies linking veganism to longer lifespan/health benefits
>fake news
>1 study where vegans are the ones getting btfo
>VEGANS BTFO THEY CANNOT RECOVER ARRRRGGHH

You didn't even link the article, but I remember it being published a while ago now.

What the research finding was, was that some vegetarians in India were found to have more copies of a gene that makes the elongation of short-chain fatty acids more efficient, meaning more conversion of ALA omega-3 into long-chain DHA and EPA omega-3, and short-chain omega-6 into long-chain omega-6. That's all it was. Your diet would not affect this, it's a naturally selected (and beneficial) trait.

Then media outlets started spinning this into "VEGETARIAN DIET MUTATES DNA TO CAUSE CANCER" with their reasoning being that omega-6 fats cause inflammation that leads to cancer, which is also false.

Ooooh. Finally, a scientific explanation why vegans are always so butthurt.

But it isn't

That's still fucked up. You are screwing your future children if you have them.
How much does the government pay you monthly in autism bucks?

>You are screwing your future children if you have them.

See Any link to cancer is a fabrication by the journalist writing the article and has nothing to do with the study referenced