Can I still eat it?

Post your product and its expiration date and people tell you whether you can still eat it.

>Vanilla custard
>Use by 17th September

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bertrand_(steamboat)#Excavated_artifacts
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

How does it smell?

It's unopened. I haven't pulled the foil off yet so can't smell it.

>everyone lives in the same part of the world in the same timezone as me

>gross out thread spam, hidden.

This.
It's November 1973 here

my dreams
expired 5 years ago

It's the 19th everywhere, faggot. Are you suggesting eating this custard 8 hours earlier is the difference between food poisoning and safety?

What's the dream and how does it smell?

dont worry, i just realized there is nothing left

The child is grown, the dream is gone.
I have become comfortably numb.

This is my favourite song from the Wall. Every year it becomes more and more poignant for me.

It's about heroin.
Stay away from dem needles y'all.

Neopets Islandberry Crunch breakfast cereal

Best by: 09/25/2008

I have an opened can with beans covered in water. They are a month old. The water is muddy but no smell.

The water is always muddy.
Was there a hiss?

Canned beans last for fucking ever. If shit ever hits the fan I'm stocking up on beans.

One night my buddies were getting hammered on whiskey and ran out of chaser so they used a bottle of lemon juice that was in the refrigerator. Come morning they check the bottle and see it had expired twenty five years earlier.

My parents are stupid pack rats that have tons of shit in their house. I wouldn't say full on hoarder since they throw away actual garbage and whatever, but you get the idea. Well one day I was helping them go through their pantry to chuck old food that was way past expiration. The place was like a time capsule where the further back the older the food was. I eventually found a box of bisquick that had expired before I was even born. A fucking 24 year old box of bisquick. There was some other really old shit too, and I even tried some of it just for kicks, and it tasted horribly expired. Thank goodness they don't have a mouse problem or it would have been even more gross.

>Hoarding food for a quarter of a century

How does this happen? Especially for shit that needs to be kept in the fridge.

Wow you're literally retarded

I know a lady that pretend to be very poor so people give her free stuff, and she is always being given stuff about to expire

She always wait a month before eating the damn thing

Her daughter is always sick

you chose your birthday didn't you?

oldfag. I did chuckle though

>Her daughter is always sick

Poor little thing probably has a perpetual state of food poisoning

I ate a half a pizza I found behind my car seat a year ago. I think I got drunk and drove to domino's and ate it in the parking lot about a month ago.

It was kinda gnarly, like eating week old McDonald's french fries, but not bad enough to make me sick.

You ate year old pizza from behind your car seat?

I meant to say that I ate month old pizza about a year ago.

If it's unopened, it's more than likely fine since it was probably pasteurised before packaging. As a matter of fact, it is almost impossible for properly (emphasis on 'properly') packaged and stored food to spoil, and expiration dates merely inform you about product freshness, meaning that food will taste worse beyond that point.

It and the past use by pudding I ate it with were fine. Glad I didn't throw either away.

I suppose there's a chance I get diarrhoea but I doubt it. Feel fine.

See, that's the thing; people nowadays are conditioned to believe that a single second past a product's expiration date turns it into compost. The problem of packaging food had already been conquered as far back as the 18th century when Nicholas Appert realised that airtight bottling and strict heating preserved it indefinitely, with Pasteur connecting the dots that microorganisms were the agent responsible for spoilage. Thus, the biggest problem for consumers in first-world countries is loss of flavour due to preservation methods and long-term storage, which is where the expiration date comes in handy.

Last week I ate some pudding that expired 5 years ago. You should be fine.

If the experidation day says, Day X. Does it mean it is ok to eat it on day X ? Or should I eat it before day X ?

I am guessing a couple of hours more won't hurt, but I don't know what time they are using to determine the exact moment where it goes bad.

Call their customer service line.

>but I don't know what time they are using to determine the exact moment where it goes bad.
It's impossible to make an exact number so they do their best and then pad the fuck out the number so they don't get sued.

Ignore the date entirely. Use your senses to tell you if the food is good or not.

I recently ate some expired brie and gorgonzola. Date was late August but since they didn't look, smell, or taste off I made myself a cheese plate. This was two days ago and I had no problems outside of some rank poops.

Throw it away. Had some cereal that was only 1 year over the date and it tasted like sawdust.

If only people actually DID turn it into compost, that's nearly as good as eating it. The largest problem is the fact that people are just throwing that shit away even when it's easy as fuck to compost.

See my posts: , Expiration date merely denotes product freshness, not spoilage, unless you want to treat it as advance warning.

Half empty sour creme, exp: 6/17/2005
I mean, it's sour creme, so it's just spoiled milk, right?

True. What's even more inexplicably moronic is deciding to dump clearly imperishable goods such as alcohol, processed food (when was the last time someone got poisoned by Oreos?), and dried pasta, because of a time limit they don't even understand.

I'm not advocating holding on to food that's clearly spoiled from contamination, but an astonishing amount of food waste is avoidable given a basic knowledge of food safety and a little thrift.

Souring is controlled culturing with specific species, while anything grows during spoilage. I would definitely throw that out if it was opened and left for so long.

As a matter of fact, I'm not even sure why you're asking this question, given how horrific it must look after twelve years of spoilage and rancidity.

I made some curry a couple of days with a jar of kashmiri masala paste that expired in 2012 and was opened once a couple of years ago.
Ended up fine, stuff with spices and oil last forever.
What's the most expired thing you ever cooked and ate?

I ate thai takeout leftovers after they'd spent about 10 days in the fridge. Got diarrhoea but that's it.

Unopened, undamaged canned food can last indefinitely

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bertrand_(steamboat)#Excavated_artifacts

>In 1974, samples of canned food from the wreck, including brandied peaches, oysters, plum tomatoes, honey, and mixed vegetable, were tested by the National Food Processors Association. Although their appearance, smell and vitamin content had deteriorated, there was no trace of microbial growth and the food was determined to be still safe to eat.[6]

can beans only good ban if you get a hiss as you open it.

just they lose vitamin content over time

i once ate these lil chocolate basketballs from the year i was born. i was about 14 at the time. my dad kept them in the freezer the whole time. they tasted a lil chalky but fine. the tinfoil wrappers had a bunch of team logos from teams that had folded over the years between purchase and consumption

no its not retard

If you've worked in a grocery store sometimes you find shit like this in hard to get places

sometimes the water gets all moldy looking in the olive jar from when I stick my hands in during sloppy eating binges. can I just put them in new water?

My grandparents have been in the same house since the 70s and if you look around their cupboards its like a little museum. I found a box of this vintage shit there

The best way to look at it is to use it with in seven days of the sell by date

>"Good source of fiber"
>3 grams of fibre from a 120 gram serve

Whoops, just realised the serving size was 31 grams so it's actually not bad

Nice hiss!

Pretty sure it would of been fine still. The lemon juice is too acidic to harbor any bacterial growth. Even honey is acidic enough to last indefinitely.

People eat 2000 year old butter.

They don't hiss. There just isn't any lid

>milk
>use by 13th of september
It's the 20th and still smells like i just bought it

A Royal "velvety cappuchino" chocolate bar by Cloetta, expired in 9/11 2006, accidentally stored in a dark and cool place.
It's probably edible but I want advice on possibly rancid chocolate.

It's fine. Milk, especially reduced fat milk, lasts way longer than it says on the carton. If it smells fine and it's not clumpy there's nothing wrong with it.
If you really worry about it you can use it in a manner that involves cooking. Pancakes are always nice.

>11 years

Nah, not worth it by a long shot

Clams
No date, too much rust

I left an open container of double cream in the fridge for about three months. Had a look inside when I finally threw it out. It was very dried out, but smelled fine. Looking back I regret not trying some.

is... is this bait?

if its been in the fridge its 100% ok to eat, if not ill still give it a 75%
if its been out under the sun a 30%

toss

This. Talk to someone in a pisspoor country paid less than $1/h to ask about eating a product a few hours after it expires.

>rust
Not good if it went through the can. Good if can is technically intact.

My parents have spices that expired 5+ years ago, do they lose their potency by that amount of time?

You could probably make a buck off the card in there

Curious about this one too

They most definitely do! You'll probably need to add more to the dish to make it flavoursome. Always taste test before you put too much in

Check for mouldy taste (sprinkle bit in your hand and taste it). If they were kept cool and dry they're safe.

Lol no, u should be getting dried spices every six months or so

Smell.
even then, soured milk makes excellent cottage cheese. it's really easy to make, and a good way to save you wasting protons.