Is sugar on tomato slices just a Chinese thing or do other people do it to?

Is sugar on tomato slices just a Chinese thing or do other people do it to?

I think this is the least appealing thing I've ever heard of.

That sounds atrocious

I've only ever seen salt sprinkled on fresh tomatoes.
However, I do know from my studies that canned whole tomatoes sprinkled with brown sugar was a popular dessert during the Great Depression.

Sometimes tomatoes need sugar just like sometimes they need salt
If OP image is the full meal though I'm uninterested.

I once read an anecdote about how people would go into restaurants and mix hot water and ketchup to create what was basically poorman's tomato soup.

My very not Chinese mom did it sometimes, I've heard of other people doing it. I think it's one of those things that stopped being common in the West as prepacked snack foods became more prevalent.

When I cut up to many tomates, I sprinkle on a little salt for the extra. Theyre not bad , but its not somethineg Id go out of my way for either

I used to not be racist, but having seen this image I am now very, very racist.

It only works on tomatoes that you grew yourself or heirloom tomatoes.

I'm Vietnamese.

>tfw I would just have tomato smoothies with some sugar added

Do people pretend to like tomatoes or what? Cause they're fucking disgusting.

Fuck off, this thread is not for you.

you have only ever tastes hothouse tomatoes intended for nogger consumption. they taste like jellyfish and your opinion is invalid.

im chinese and im never heard or seen this before

all tomatoes taste like tomatoes even if some are shittier quality than others

I could see this working if the tomatoes are very unripe or particularly acidic but there's no situation where sugar would taste better than salt

My Chinese ex insisted on putting salt on a pineapple that wasn't very sweet. We had to throw it away.

i do this but im not chinese. thought it was an old american thing.

It's a northern Chinese thing. Not for southern manlet dog-eating Chinese. (you know, the sneaky, short, ugly looking, Jewey Chinese that give all Chinese a bad name. I fucking hate southern Chinese people. They are an entirely different species than northern Chinese)

>tfw my mom used to do this when i was small
>one day she just stopped doing it
>years later think that tomatoes were amazing back in the day but are just terrible now

Parents did so I could eat tomatoes as a kid. Also did it for strawberries.

Nowadays I could eat either of them without anything added.

You're all subhumans buddy

how do you know what tomatoes taste like if you're not even fully human?

im southeast b-baka

I once knew a Chinaman that swore in his hometown a treat was caramel/sugar covered tomatoes.

i doubt anyone in china even gives a flying fuck, you've gone full american buddy

In Thailand when I bought some fruit like guava or apples, they would give a packet of salt+chilli flakes in it, and I would see locals eating it.

Apple+salt is fucking tragic, so are fresh tomatoes+sugar.

Just why.

nope

watermelon and salt is the best.

melon not watermelon,
watermelon and withe cheese is the best.

North China best China
t.Shenyang chink

meant to reply to this
our kind also drinks a lot

I've read the same thing. they wouldn't charge for hot water and the ketchup was complimentary anyway

I've done this when I was homeless.
Raid the condiments bar and a cup of hot water.
It's as bad as it sounds.

Watched my ex girlfriend's mom dump cup after cup of sugar into her "Italian" sause for spaghetti.

>ugh!

An elementary school principal told me in the 1970s that that is what poor kids ate at school before free school lunches were implemented

Spanish user here.
Using it like salt its top foking tier, especially with greener tomatos. Also, I dont usually just sprinkle my tomato with sugar. I make a mix with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, pepper, powdererd mustard, minced garlic and then I add a touch of sugar to contrast both the tomato and vinegar acidity.

Idk, I use sugar to balance acids errday.

>Pennywise mode

I just throw vinegar onto everything on purpose and have to sugar balance everything.

Having a side of soursweetnes as you do with saltiness and pepperness its the patrician choice.

Only salt is acceptable on tomatoes.

flips do this for spaghetti sauce

You're supposed to soak it in salt water then drain it to bring out the sweetness. Sprinkling salt on it is just ineffective.

I used to do it when I was a kid, it's actually really good.

Damn I haven't had this since I was a kid. My grandma does this all the time for guests and all the people we visited offered that shit to us
t. Beijinger

Grew up doing this. It's great. Midwest boi

So you guys have never heard of tomato jam? It's not like tomatoes are salty. In fact I found them to be a sweet fruit.

You're all vermin who should be exterminated.

My grandma does, and my grandpa puts seasoned salt.

The chinese will eat anything. when you have hordes of billions of hungry people you become resourceful, its why so many chinese foods originate from dirt nasty poor shit

I like to enjoy tomatoes with SALT but not sugar. That sounds gross.

Hey since I got you here let me ask you a question: why do all northern Chinese think they know how to fight? Every few years in my chinatown someone gets their head caved in and within the last decade or so it's always a northern chinese person that talked shit and got his face stomped in lol

salt tastes good, but no sugar. wtf

what about order a coffee from starbucks and fill the cup with half and half then at least get some sustenance

Sugar on tomatoes is super common in the south. So is sugar in spaghetti, but nobody ever believes me.

all chink filth needs to be wipe out from the planet

From the south. Can confirm. Many people down here won't even eat pasta unless there's sugar in the sauce and it pisses me off.

Southerner here, I've never heard of this but we deep fry Coke so I can believe it.

Czech republic, we do it too. Take a bite, plunge in powdered sugar, take a bite.. grab another, repeat.
Best breakfeast noobs.

My granmother even makes strawberry jam from tomatoes.
I didnt believed her either, but she made it with me and it fucking taste like strawberries, i was eating it for years and didnt know

And strawberries is weird word

They are not berries on a straw, they grow in little bundles even the wild ones

See?

Blueberries are making sense, strawberries are fuking Wild man

the path between bushes is covered with straw to prevent other plants from growing over them desu

Yeeah

Look
A strawberred faggot
Take your red anus elsewhere
Were talking
Real blue shit here nigga

Take a squish, be blue with us
Its almost like you can hear them

My little ones
Brave neonates
Whisper to me

I bet you fuckers like them young, sickos

>"hmm tomatoes have potential in a sweet dish rather than the typical savory/umami"
>"we just need a way to emphasize that feature"
>*dumps sugar on top*
Truly the Chinese - and apparently Southerners - lack all subtlety.

Listen you little shit
We rule now
Get the fuck out of our patch

Because Southern Chinks are beta manlets. They might be more clever but they are manlets who like to argue.

Northerners got that Mongolian blood boiling.

isn't it like salt on a citrus

This is a pretty common thing in Appalachia.

I remember many summers on my grannie's porch and my lunch was a sandwich and tomato slices from her garden with a light sprinkle of sugar (not the piles like on OP pic)

Hm... Appalachia has an Asian population thanks to railroad workers... Maybe the people got it from them?

My grandparents and mom often made this for me on hot summer days with ice cold tomatoes. Super refreshing as the sugar draws the liquid out

Nothing personnel

Yeah but you not in northen China anymore you idiot, you're dogging other chinese that grew up in the West and are more aggressive than your dumb asses.

Yep, just like putting piss in your food and having no empathy.

News flash: all chinese are terrible. Nobody can tell the difference.

add hot sauce and salsa(7-11), improves it immensely

But northerners are poor as fuck commies and get lung cancer

A lot of Slavs do this.

>Northerners got that Mongolian blood boiling.
So you admit to being Mongol rapebabies?

kek, a lot of japanese nationalists actually accuse northrn chinese of being mongol rapebabies and therefore unworthy to call themselves the successors to chinese culture.

I'm not Chinese, I merely worked in China, both North and South. And that's the difference. It's easier to work with Northerners because they are dumb as fuck (by Chinese standards) but they are kinda bro-tier if you avoid some nong. And yes, many rich assholes are nong too.

>Sugar on tomato slices

SALT YOU DENSE MOTHERFUCKER!

I'm chinese and I've never heard of sugar on tomatoes

Chinese domestic tomatoes are not thick walled industrial farmed style tomatoes. They are what american would call "heirloom" tomatos. Not only the mators are juicier, it is also sweeter. Add a bit of sugar and it's fucking delicious.

Also greeks and spaniards do it too.

>heirloom
Heirloom vegetables are old-time varieties, open-pollinated instead of hybrid