How does Veeky Forums like their steaks?

Been thinking about cooking a steak dinner for a while now but i don't want to waste money making a shit steak. I know its all subjective but how do you guys like your steaks?

Blue rare-rare depending on cut.

medium desu, gets bit jelly like below that for me

Rare is the only correct answer if you're not a raging fucking faggot

Also, pic related on the side

Medium rare.

medium well

so basically anything that isn't well done or overcooked

It's not like anyone was going to answer anything else

Yes. And the rule of thumb is the leaner the rarer because the meat will get tougher faster because there is no intramuscular marbling. While a ribeye you will want to cook a bit longer to melt the fat.

I hate this chart because they're all over cooked. Steak should ideally be baked at 275 from frozen then seared or cooked in a sous vide then seared, so it's uniformly cooked. Medium rare is ideal.

show me a picture of what's not "over cooked" to you

No. You are wrong. I specifically said rare. This version of rare is perfection

medium well

well done. it might be a bit drier but i prefer the texture. it's great with a cream and peppercorn sauce made in the pan after cooking the steak.

>mfw everyone gets mad when i tell them i prefer well done and tries to convince me that my personal preference is wrong

Fuck that, it isn't subjective. Rare to medium is the only way to cook a steak. Anything else is either under-cooked or overcooked, which is how savages and peasants eat their food.

It is subjective. You don't need to hold onto your preference for steak doneness to feel like you're a special person. You are special. I love you.

you're so out of touch it's ridiculous
I don't know if you're 12 or middle aged

medium rare on ribeyes. rare on everything else.

your preference isn't wrong, you are objectively wrong.

Lets use another example: You are getting free money, do you want 5 dollars or 5000 dollars? One answer is quantitatively, objectively better than the other. Same with steak, you're an idiot for taking the 5 dollars.

literally fuck off with your too superior and mature passive aggressive bs. Stop being an obnoxious cunt because you're too much of a pussy to eat red meat.

Also I prefer medium rare.

That's a lot of pussies in That watermelon

Whenever I go out to eat, my go to is asking for my steak "As rare as you can give it to me without committing a health code violation"

>go to Outback and request this
>it comes out well done

Snarky cunts

>itt tapeworm infectees

Well done.
I fell for the meme and tried medium and it was just chewey and bad tasting

i like medium. i actually just had SOME steak, 10 dollar cut the thing was juicy.[spoiler]i wish i hadnt dropped 3/4ths of it onto the ground[/spoiler]

Medium rare is good, medium well is pretty bad, anything after that silly, it gets dry, flavorless, and crispy, rare is ok, but I don't fuck with it, because it's a bit risky.

I prefer rare. In a restaurant I will accept medium rare if I ordered rare. I will not pay for a steak if it is cooked longer. Outside of a restaurant, I'd still eat longer-cooked steaks out of respect for the cow or family member/friend who can't cook steaks to specified doneness.

medium rare is best for most cuts. the lean ones without much collagen can go rarer.

I don't like well-done at all but I feel bad for people who do, some people are so weirdly uptight about it. I worked at one restaurant where the chef straight-up wouldn't do well-done steak.

Some well-done people are annoying though, it might just be memeing but the people going on about how anything less than well-done is full of parasites or whatever are annoying.

I'm so sorry for your loss, user.

I like medium or medium rare.

I like to eat my steaks medium-rare. some of them medium is fine, especially the ones with more fat such as flat iron.
the ultra-rare thing, blue, I dont really like it. is chewy and not tasty at all.

this chart is better

the op picture is probably using cold steaks, so that's why they're both gray and ultra-rare at the same time

I like it well-done with ketchup.

low quality b8 m8

I work at a high end steak house, you can order it any way you want it but you're never getting it cooked past medium. Specific instructions from management, by the time the cunts cut it open and try it they're going to realize they're wrong. If not we can always broil it more and take the rest of the flavor out of it for the stupid customer.

Interestingly we almost never have steaks come back for being too rare, without fail the retarded cunts who order well done always complain "it dry" no shit it's dry moron you ordered it well done and we burn the fuck out of it for your dumb ass.

>without fail the retarded cunts who order well done always complain "it dry" no shit it's dry moron you ordered it well done and we burn the fuck out of it for your dumb ass.
Depends on how you're cooking it though. If they order well done and you cook it just to 155F internal temp, and they still complain it's dry, then yeah it's their fault. But if you let it sit on the grill cooking after it's gotten to well done and your reasoning is "well done is overcooked anyway lol who cares" and they complain, then it's your fault for being a bad cook.

Well done, if well done, can be amazing too. You need thinner than usual steak for it though, and good spices.

Rare does not render the fat inside.
Somewhere between MR and M fully develops the flavor. M is the upper limit, no more flavor to be found beyond that.

>there are people who think well done means dry
Well no wonder you hate it
Maybe you should try to cook, not just throw on the grill and cook halfway

me too bro :^)

I like it rare, sometimes bleu. It's less about the flavour and more about the mouthfeel. I fucking hate anything over medium-rare, and even medium-rare is seriously pushing it.

>bleu

medium well, the master race

Blue rare/rare. Depends on the meat

Generally bleu, rare on lesser cuts.

Rare-Medium rare, desu.

Man, I want to fucking deck the person that applied that word filter.

>i have an animal killed then have the audacity to mistreat the fruits of its life
>haha just my preference tho ;^)

also "it's great with [...] sauce" because the sauce masks how fucking dry it is.

drink bleach you out of touch flyover freak

Medium when I go out
Medium or medium rare when I'm at home

This.

Raw

Depends on fat content. I love steak tartar all the way up to medium on a rib eye to render all that lovely fat

>tartar

Medium Rare Top Sirloin is my go to steak

Yeah I love it when it calcifies and coats the inside of my teeth.

I knew it was tartare. Autocorrect didn't recognise it for some reason and I didn't back myself

That's ok.
Lesson learned I guess.

Question: what's so bad about a well done steak? Why is rare better? I've only ate steak once, so I really don't get this hatred.

rare is juicy, to a point that I think is only unique to steak
the juiciness, the blood, it all gives off a visceral taste, a continuous flavor that never ceases throughout the whole act of eating, which gives an almost primal, and definitely masculine satisfaction

well done is a way of preparing the steak that makes it a completely mundane meal, no different in sensation to eating a bland chicken breast

I like my food well done but I have to cook it myself because incompetent idiots like are the norm in the food serving business. Literally too fucking stupid to cook a piece of meat, and then the faggot who brings me the failure expects to be given extra money.

Attached pic, while not the greatest, shows biggest difference between Sous Vide (left) and non-Sous Vide (right).

Consistent colour throughout with a sear on the edge at high heat.

Personal experience, I'll go a sous vide steak over anything else any day of the week.

that one on the right seems like it was cherry picked, also the blue rare on OP's picture looks way less cooked than yours

both of yours look cooked, the stuff on the left side of OP's picture looks raw

but the one on the right is clearly the heel of a steak

Yeah, that's why I said it wasn't the greatest pick, but the thing it shows off is just mainly the gradient you get from non-sous vide vs cooking sous vide.

This picture might show it off a bit better, I hope!

Well done with lots of ketchup

this is correct

Medium Rare, no exceptions. At least that's my opinion though.

Was it autism?
> he doesn't know how to make a well done without turning it into a shoe

> unironically bleu
I don't even care about your tastes in food but saying it like that is pretentious as fuck. If you unironically say that when ordering you get a nice dose of ballsweat sauce and deserve it.

i like medium rare but order medium at restaurants because i get more hits than misses that way.

Rare for tenderloin, medium rare for ribeye.

but what if I live in France?

Well-done

Then you order boules sur votre steak anyhow you prancing Frenchie

>letting the steak anywhere near the grill
go raw or go hone

>raging fucking faggot
Stop tying masculinity to doneness of steak you fucking retard. Rare tastes the best, you don't have to pretend it also makes you tougher

Personally I prefer a medium rare so the fats can render I will not eat a well done steak unless someone is giving me their steak or its like a free meal but if I'm paying I want my steak well done.

When people come to my house and want the steaks I bought cooked well done I just cook it about medium rare to medium if they don't want to eat it then I don't care i'll take the leftovers.
I actually used to hate steak because growing up my parents would always cook my steak well done for dinner once I started grilling my steak ranges from Rare to Medium because fucking charcoal man.

If im paying I want my steak medium rare fuck.