How do I into lentils?

How do I into lentils?

What are your favorite lentil meals/recipes?

Other urls found in this thread:

markbittman.com/7-ways-to-make-lentil-soup/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Bittman's lentil soup is easy and cheap as far as soups go.

markbittman.com/7-ways-to-make-lentil-soup/

green lentils or lentils du puy braised in red wine and herbs (also excellent with meatballs)

lentil, tomato, red onion salad with tahini lemon dressing

Make masoor dal, easy step by step recipes online, you wont be dissapointed

French lentils are my favorite.
You can do pretty much anything with them that you would do with ground beef.
Sorry this isn't much help, but lentils are a basic staple, and you can do quite a lot with them.

what this person said. french lentils (lentils du puy) are small and hold their shape well when cooked. i like to make lentil bolognese with them.

>markbittman.com/7-ways-to-make-lentil-soup/
Indeed. And, what's nice about lentils, is how fast they cook, no presoak.

I often cook lentils in rice. Sherbanu's rice was a recipe in film producer Ismail Merchant's indian "Passionate" cookbook. It was his sister and the cookbook is dirt cheap on amazon now many years later (used), and worth it. A small 1/4 cup of dried lentils added to basmati rice while it was cooking, with aromatics spices is one of my most unusual and craved recipes. The lentils fall apart and make the basmati kind of velvety in an almost powdery mealy mouthfeel. It's a subtle weird difference.

Sherbanu's Kicheri
bay leaves, cinnamon stick, chopped onions
basmati rice, corn oil, masoor dal
Been a while, but it was like 1/4 cup of lentils to each cup of rice, you have to adjust the water another 1/2 cup water to account for what the lentils use.

All's I know about lentils is that you need a lot of hot sauce to make 'em taste good

Bulgur& lentil salad is pretty good

Mjadra

lentils have a strange synergy with lemon juice. lemon juice transform them into something that tastes really good.

>markbittman.com/7-ways-to-make-lentil-soup/
>lentils
>chicken stock
nope

Really, why not?

You are missing out so hard

just fucking make it with veggie broth instead

I grew up on sausage gravy and am now one of those darn vegetarians.

For both aesthetics and if you cook them with lots of pepper I think that lentils make a good veg substitute for sausage gravy.
And if you're just asking for in general how to cook lentils boil them, at 20 minutes they start to become edible and the longer that you cook them the softer they get, a good middle ground for me is about thirty to forty minutes.

I just eat them by themselves with some butter, maybe a big ol' kielbasa right in the middle

I'm a huge fan of red lentils, which are underrated even by lentil standards. One of the best soups you can make is pancetta or cubed bacon or crumbled sausage/red lentils/chicken stock/diced tomatoes -- the lentils simmered in the stock become tender and nutty after about 35-40 minutes -- it's easy to make and tasty as all hell, and especially satisfying in winter

>red lentils

Do you sort through them? It seems like such a huge pain in the ass

Brown chicken thighs in dutch oven.
Remove, drain grease and put on onions, celery, carrots
Throw in some garlic and toast before adding potatoes
Add liquid and a bunch of lentils. I like coconut milk and mushroom stock but it's up to you.
Add chicken, bring to boil then let it simmer with the lid on for a while.

You can flex this with so many different things and it's stuff that most people have on hand easily. Swap out chicken for sausage, lentils for beans, whatever. I like doing curry paste in the liquid step but you really can't go wrong.

fun fact: jewish people can't eat lentils